Setting up a lab.. need advice

someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
Okay,

I'm using 2k3 enterprise and would like to know what software you guys use to run Win XP while loaded into 2k3.

I've tried Microsoft Virtual PC with a image of XP and displays a not supported OS while trying to start the instance of xp.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I run everything on top of vmware.
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    I run everything on top of vmware.

I never really attempted to try vmware until this morning. Does it support .VMC formats?
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    someeh wrote: »
    I never really attempted to try vmware until this morning. Does it support .VMC formats?

vmc is a Microsoft vm format and not compatible with vmware afaik.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also used VMware. At least back then, there was a 50% discount for being a student. So workstation was like $113 with tax. Great investment.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    If you still have Windows XP installation CD, grab VirtualBox and within it you can set instances of XP and an instance of WinServ2k3. That is what I intend to set up soon to study for 290 and 291 exams.
    If you don't have that CD, all isn't lost. Grab a copy of the MS Press 270 study guide that has a trial version of XP and install it in a virtual machine. Should set you back $30 or so if you buy from amazon.com.
    It'd take some time to grok VBox's networking options and decide which one suits your needs best but other than that, you'd be fine and progressing well with your studies. Providing of course you have enough RAM to support several virtual machines running at the same time.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have a VPC you need to use, you can use the free Vmware Converter to convert VPC to VMware formats. Otherwise you can easily create a new VM in VMware Workstation and install whatever OS you need.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it.
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How is your lab coming along?

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
    How is your lab coming along?

Regards,
    David

It's working well, I'm just having a really hard time focusing for this exam, maybe a nice swift kick in the a$$ would do the trick.
    finally on my 4th attempt, I succeeded =).. score 775..... 291 here I come