MCSA/MCSE still relevant and worth it?

EchtanielEchtaniel Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Currently I'm pursuing a S+ cert, it's still a while off before I'll be able to take the exam (hopefully before the end of the year). Regardless, I'm already looking for what to do next.

MCSA looks quite interesting for several reasons but apparently MS will be discontinuing it in the foreseeable future in favor of more Win7/Server 2008 infrastructure. The thing is, as far as I can gauge the IT business, XP and 2003 still seem to be the standard (admittedly Server 2008 is being implemented more and more).

Given this, is it still a good idea to invest a lot of time (and money) in a MCSA or is it better to sip it and go straight for the replacement certs and hope that they'll help my careers as good or better than an MCSA.

Thanks for the input ;)

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not to be a jerk, but this has been debated left and right in differnt threads in different boards. (and it really is a debate, if we were in person there would probably be fists flying)

There are pro's and con's to each side.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DraxtheSovietDraxtheSoviet Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First off, welcome to the TE forums! I myself got an MCSA just a few days ago. I personally think it is worth your time and money. Because there are countless firms and companies that still use XP and Server 03 to run their business networks. It would also be a good place to start your IT career (will help you in the long run) as well as make a conversion to the newer certs easier (ex. MCITP, MCTS, Server 2008/Vista/7). All in all, it is a personal preference, if you can afford it now - do it! Don't forget to do some research, too.
    "When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not going to repeat what the other posters have said, but I basically agree with them. My personal opinion is that this should be based on how much experience you currently have. If you have been deep in the AD administration trenches for 2+ years, then I would say from a time perspective you can probably handle a compressed testing schedule. The MCSE will not be available forever. Eventually the tests will be retired (many in the MCSE track retired this year - but most did not, and none of the ones that did were core exams). But if you are just starting out and are coming form a helpdesk/desktop support type role and it is going to take you a year to complete the MCSE it may be better to do the MCITP: EA and just get an MCP on Server 2003.

It would really suck to be studying for the 70-293 and realize that MS had anounced that the MCSE core exams are be retiring and that you only have a few months to complete them or even wors take a few months off and find out that they had retired and you could nolonger get the MCSE.

The MCSE is the most recongnized MS certification. Even people who don't know squat about computers have heard of the MCSE. So that is a major benefit to holding it. Plus it's just cool to say you hold an engineering level certification form Microsoft icon_biggrin.gif But if I were you I would base the choice on your current knowledge/experience and the amount of time/effort you wish to invest.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    My first pc was windows 2000
    we're on windows 7, did I wasted my time with that?
    NO
    Its knowledge, knowledge is GOOD

In the job scene, I dont work as a windows guy, I'm just a tech guy right now, but after years of interviews and job searching, I'd say I see MCSE way more than MCITP. At least for now.

Do you know whats the most common line in comp/network technician ?
    If it works, dont change it.
    I know companies that still use TAPE drives, and I mean the old ones.
    Jesus, some banks still use Cobol and RPG.
    What does this tells u? If it does the job, they will keep it. They arent interested on gui or pretty stuff, they need what they need and thats it.
    I worked a while with a telephone company in a call center and they used an app I cant remember, but it was just a black cmd screen with white text that showed phones and names, thats it. It was like 3 yrs ago, you may be like omfg just black and white? Yes, just black and white, it gets the job done.

Windows 2k3 will keep getting the job done for a while too.
    meh
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Server 2003 is still widely used and will remain widely being widely used even after M$ quits supporting it because companies will have a few bright MCSE's who know how to keep the system working. An OS isn't like a mechanical device, it'll never wear out so companies will continue using it. They may even replace their servers and PCs yet continue using Server 2003 and XP. I just participated in a rollout where we replaced all the PCs in a big office building with new PCs but they all still have XP.
    Server 2003 is a good Server OS and is still in widespread use.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I just applied for a job that required MCITP:SA or EA, so I'm glad i went that route. Personally I think that going with the new exams is the way to go. As others have said though, 2003 will probably be around for a while still, but more and more companies are migrating to 2008.
    The other thing is that 2003 and 2008 are similar enough that even if you get the MCITP, you'll still be able to use 2003 pretty effectively.