Options

ABET Certified

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I know that I want to do a BS in Computer Science (or something very, very close). What I don't know is whether or not having a ABET certified CS program makes the school better or worse. Does it matter to employers in the long run?

I have only seen one job posting mention that they wanted someone with an ABET certified degree (BSCS or BSEE).

I have read what ABET's website says: http://www.abet.org/why_choose.shtml but I don't know if it is a real reflection of the workplace.

Comments

• Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    The only time I've ever heard of an employer requiring an ABET certified degree is if they were looking for an engineer. To take the PE exam in most states completion of an ABET certified program is required. Some CS graduate programs require a certified bachelors degree for admission. Other than that, doesn't really seem to matter. But if all things are equal, I'd rather enroll in a program that has the professional certification. Like my MS is from an AACSB accredited program. Does it really matter? Probably not, but just in case it does you'll be covered.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking. I don't plan on being an engineer but I do want to learn computing at a deeper level. I just don't want to get disqualified for a higher degree/job because of the quality of program I choose now. What sucks is that the school I am looking at offers a BSCS completely online and is regionally accredited. They also work with Community Colleges and I would be able to finish the program in about a year.
  • Options
    I did some more thinking on this. Basically to me it might not matter as much. Well I just don't know how this decision will matter when I want to go for my Masters.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like my MS is from an AACSB accredited program. Does it really matter? Probably not, but just in case it does you'll be covered.

I have seen a alot of employers looking for MBAs from a AACSB school. [SARCASM] I mean it's bad enough that an MBA isn't from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, NYU, etc...[/SARCASM] but if the MBA program from a 2nd or 3rd tier school isn't AACSB that might not be looked at too favorably.

Just something to consider about AACSB. It's not a bad deal that your school and degree has it.
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    I know that I want to do a BS in Computer Science (or something very, very close). What I don't know is whether or not having a ABET certified CS program makes the school better or worse. Does it matter to employers in the long run?

I have only seen one job posting mention that they wanted someone with an ABET certified degree (BSCS or BSEE).

I have read what ABET's website says: ABET but I don't know if it is a real reflection of the workplace.

The school has met the qualifications ABET has set for the program. Usually it means they offer the correct amount of math and engineering credits. Also the faculty usually either have to have a PhD or be a P.E.... The P.E. is a big deal in the engineering field as its usually viewed as > than a master's degree. There is a push on by the engineering field to push a nationwide certification like a bar exam = p.e. exam in order to be licensed.

There is no minus to the certification and there are plusses if you decide to pursue a graduate degree it will look good upon your grad school app.