Options

IIS vs. coding..

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
How often does this come up for you?

Customer reports a problem with their website. No changes were made. You contact the web designer and they blame IT and IT blames the code. Neither one of you speak the same language and nothing ever gets done.

Last time this came up I restored the server and the content back to a known working date. Applied all patches and updates. Everything was working, then the dev applied his updates. And it died. And he still blamed us.

How do you handle these situations?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have had the same thing happen to me. We are a small company with a small IT shop. Development likes to blame IT for website problems but we just fix it and move on.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have had the same thing happen to me. We are a small company with a small IT shop. Development likes to blame IT for website problems but we just fix it and move on.
    @Bl8ckr0uter -
    You are not allowed to post until tomorrow. Not time to visit with your friends form the Interwebs, no time to post!

@OP -
    I agree, though. Unless you go through some trace logs and figure out the exact bug, it's better just to do the work and move one.

Eventually you could just point out the logic. "Every time this happens, IT restores the server to a known good state and then the Dev Team applies their updates and then IIS crashes. What conclusion does that lead one to take?"
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    With change control documentation.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claymoore wrote: »
    With change control documentation.

Unicorns and Loch Ness monsters could also work... icon_wink.gif

Jeez, you might as well suggest that patches be tested before being put into production or that backups be restored on a rgular basis to ensure they are viable.