Need to add scripting to my skill set, but which one to learn

e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
Folks:
I need to add a scripting language to my skill set and resume; however, I am not sure which one to learn. I want something that I can use on both: Windows and Linux if possible.

Any suggestions?
Thank you
Utini!

Comments

• azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just off the top of my head I would say to learn Java script as it is platform neutral.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    For something that you can use under Windows and Linux as well you could learn Python or Perl. Python and Perl will take a bit of setup under Windows though as you'll need to install an interpreter and use a batch file for launching the script.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    undomiel wrote: »
    For something that you can use under Windows and Linux as well you could learn Python or Perl. Python and Perl will take a bit of setup under Windows though as you'll need to install an interpreter and use a batch file for launching the script.

You mention setup. I did download and install the Python stack, or install component for Windows; however, I have not installed Perl as of yet. In addition, I no resources on Python or Perl at this momment, so just really testing the waters, and what people have to say, which will give me enought info to resource the topic.

Much appreciated.
    Utini!
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I've dabbled in python and perl. Another vote for python icon_thumright.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you take the Python route, take a look at this interpreter:

Eclipse Downloads

I believe the Java one allows you to install a plugin for something called "Pydev". Pydev allows you to create python projects within the IDE (weird, I know!)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    the book in my signature is a very nice intro book about Perl...I have strong C/C++/C# background so I went quickly through the book (not done yet, and had to stop to focus on another exam)...but Perl is a nice way to start.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    e24ohm wrote: »
    Folks:
    I need to add a scripting language to my skill set and resume; however, I am not sure which one to learn. I want something that I can use on both: Windows and Linux if possible.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you

I vote for Perl.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I vote for both! Python rocks, but so does Perl....

This thread gives me an idea!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I vote for both! Python rocks, but so does Perl....

This thread gives me an idea!

Uh oh....

Anywho, I'm a huge fan of PowerShell for scripting for Windows. It's extremely powerful. icon_thumright.gif
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Powershell for the Windows side if you're in to administration and so forth and Perl or Python. If you're into Cisco, take a look at TCL as well.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Python +1 over Perl for a beginner (not that Perl is an uber language only for masters). They're both good... I'm sure there are plenty of comparisons around the web. Check em out and see which fits your fancy.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    If you're going to say powershell for windows, I'd have to say bash for unix based systems.

I just tried out powershell the other day and all I can say is WOW! :D
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.