How to setup guest to guest networking on VirtualBox

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I am trying to connect the two guest OSes which are both Server 2008 R2.
I can ping the other guest(server) from guest OS, and I can ping the host PC as well; however, I can't remote desktop to the other guest machine. I already disable the firewalls on both guest machines. I can't add another forest on the existing forest. So I am pretty much stuck on one server.

The IP subnet on both guest machines is 192.168.1.0/24. The host machine is in the same subnet.

I also have tried to bridge the virtualbox' adapter to the host lan adapter, but still not working.

If you guys have done this, please I really need to get this working. I can't move on, on my studies because of this, and the time is ticking. I am currently studying 70-640 Active Directory.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    You need to enable Remote Display. I'm using Virtualbox on the Mac and to do it, you simply ensure that you're on the VM window when its turned on and then select Device, and Enable Remote Display from the tool bar. I'm sure it's something similar on Windows.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch07.html
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    First off make sure you didn't disable the windows firewall service just that you turned off the firewall for domain networks (or private networks if they're not joined to a domain yet) then make sure that you've enabled remote desktop on the machine you're trying to connect to.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Make sure you choose Domain Network for the network location.
    Choosing a network location

Also make sure RDP is enabled. One easy way is to do Start > Run > type "oobe" and Enter, then click "Enable Remote Desktop". That dialog will also show the current status of RDP.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    @QHalo,
    Yes I have it enable. This is the settings that I have.
    Enable Server: [checked]
    Server Port: 3389
    Authentication Method: Null
    Authentication Timeout: 5000
    Extended Features: [checked]

@undomiel,
    I am not exactly sure what you meant.
    Anyway, I enabled the firewall and went to advance settings. From there I enable the Remote Administrator.

@Mentholmoose,
    I deleted the domain that I created on the first guest machine, and enabled the remote desktop just like you said; and yes, I can now connect to the other guest machine.

Also, in the settings of my guest machines under Network, I have the settings configured on Adapter 1.
    Attached to: Internal Network
    Name: Intnet
    Advance
    Adapter type: Intel PRO/1000 MT (Server 8254EM)

Is that even right?
    How am I going to configure the IP addresses of the guest machines? Since both are servers, do I need to add a default-gateway?
    I set the IPv4 statically on both servers:
    Server1:
    IP: 10.1.1.1
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DG: 10.1.1.254 <-- I don't have DG, I just set it.
    DNS: 127.0.0.1

Server2:
    IP: 10.1.1.2
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DG: 10.1.1.254 <-- Again don't have DG
    DNS: 127.0.0.1
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You are going to make one of those servers your DNS server and have the other one point to it but that will be done later I believe.
    If you don't want internet access with them then I guess a DG isn't needed.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    I just finished the first chapter of 70-640 and in that chapter is shows how to join a domain. However, every time I tried to join my existing domain, it fails.
    I can now remote desktop, but I am still stuck in one domain. I can't add another server. Am I missing something?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Make your first DC a DNS server. That way you make your other DCs use it as their DNS because that's how you find it. You can't join the domain if your server can't find the DC.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    I think they didn't mention that in the first chapter or I might have missed it.
    Because it doesn't make any sense, in their example they can join the domain.

Now that you mentioned that it make a lot of sense because when I tried to join it said something to do with DNS.
    In their example, all they talk about is how to make a domain/forest using the dcpromo.exe and the wizard for adding roles. No info about making any DNS, at least for what I remember.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    DNS should be installed as a role when you dcpromo. It's up to you to point your clients to that DNS server if your DHCP isn't doing it already which it sounds like it isn't because you're putting in statics. So, as stated point your static IP DNS to the DC and all should be well.
    Now, I get it. I had the DNS ip 127.0.0.1.

Also, this just a random thought. Can I connect this virtualbox servers to GNS3?
    So that I can do some Cisco stuff?

I currently have VirtualBox' Network settings in Internal Network.
    Studying:
    Reading: