ITIL Intermediate exam - Service Transition - any advice?

I am preparing to take the Service Transition Intermediate exam on Monday. I've taken the class through work, and now I am studying for this exam. I was hoping I could get some input from others both on this particular exam, and also on the Intermediate exams in general. The format looks to be a little "interesting".

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here's my write up for it from a while back:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/itil-certifications/45934-itil-intermediate-lifecycle-stream-service-transition.html

I'd say this is probably not the best one of the intermediates to take first.

I always tell people that when they're taking these exams to evaluate each statement in each answer for validity. If it is true in the context of the scenario mark it with a "T", if it is false then mark it with an "F", and if you don't know mark it with a "-". Add up these marks for all of the answers and you will find that the answer with the most "T" marks tends to be either a 3 or 5 point answer; that is, if you get the marks right.

Also, always know what your role is in terms of the scenario.

That's the approach I often give people on these; and it seems to work.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

MS
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wish I had more to offer. I sat and passed the OSA capabilities a month ago. Like MS said go for the best answer. I did the elimination first looking for key items that would eliminate the answer as being the best. Once I established the best answer, or what I thought was the best answer I went for it.

I have rule I never go back once I select my answer. Whenever I do I get in trouble.

Anyway good luck let us know how it went. I might have to pick your brain for the PMP someday ;)
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I took this test twice - failing the first time with a 25/40 (below the 28 required), and I retook it today and passed with a 34/40. It looks like you HAVE to know the following:

Know the objectives, business value, inputs and outputs of the 7 ST processes
    Know each of the ST roles
    Know Early Life Support and its value and what it provides
    Know the CSF and risks of ST
    Know about stakeholder identificaiton and working with stakeholders

The test was not that bad either time, but on the first attempt I fell for one of the 0 point distractor answers - and I think I changed my answer on this question. As I always tell my college age daughter - NEVER change your answer.

Overall this exam was pretty straight forward. You just have to know that material (duh)... It is a funky format for a test...
    Congrats on the pass...you should definitely be proud of overcoming one of these exams.

MS
    Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I took this test twice - failing the first time with a 25/40 (below the 28 required), and I retook it today and passed with a 34/40. It looks like you HAVE to know the following:

Know about stakeholder identificaiton and working with stakeholders

The test was not that bad either time, but on the first attempt I fell for one of the 0 point distractor answers - and I think I changed my answer on this question. As I always tell my college age daughter - NEVER change your answer.

Overall this exam was pretty straight forward. You just have to know that material (duh)... It is a funky format for a test...

Congratz on the pass.

I have been eyeing down the CSI exam for quite sometime. It will most likely be my next and last ITIL exam. I just dont have a need for the other modules like others.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Congratz on the pass.

I have been eyeing down the CSI exam for quite sometime. It will most likely be my next and last ITIL exam. I just dont have a need for the other modules like others.

It's considered by many to be the hardest of the lifecycles...I believe it also has the lowest overall pass rate.

MS
    eMeS wrote: »
    It's considered by many to be the hardest of the lifecycles...I believe it also has the lowest overall pass rate.

MS

I have other fish to fry at the moment. I am trying to knock out some basic exams, my management route has been handcuffed from a lack of experience. I am going to grab a couple technical certs and start interviewing like mad again.

I do have a connection, hopefully my old boss gets the IT director job. I will be his first hire if that pans out, so things could potentially be looking up. He is the only person to ever single handedly get me a job, and that has been on 2 seperate occasions.
  • BW81BW81 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »

MS

Hi Todd, apologies for hijacking your thread.
    eMeS, if you don't mind me asking i'd like your advice on CSI, I am currently working through the Capability modules (passed PPO, RCV and sit OSA on Monday), after SOA I plan to sit MALC. Is the material from CSI integrated into any of the Capability courses or is it missed altogether?
    Just wondering if I should do it as well.

Thanks
    BW81 wrote: »
    eMeS, if you don't mind me asking i'd like your advice on CSI, I am currently working through the Capability modules (passed PPO, RCV and sit OSA on Monday), after SOA I plan to sit MALC. Is the material from CSI integrated into any of the Capability courses or is it missed altogether?

Thanks

The courses that I've done on these has CSI interwoven throughout. Particularly in OSA and SOA you will find a discussion of CSI, and it will be covered again in MALC>

MS
    Great, thanks alot for the info.
  • aatencioaatencio Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I took this test twice - failing the first time with a 25/40 (below the 28 required), and I retook it today and passed with a 34/40.

Just sat this exam today and also failed it and also with a 25/40 interesting enough. I take heart from the fact that this is actually the test with the lowest current world-wide pass rate (with the exception of the MALC exam) at only 59%. Still it is the subject I thought I had the best handle on, and yet I will be retaking the exam. That is a little troubling. So back to this one and then only two left to be done!
    Andy
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Sorry to hear that you did not pass. I still say these are the topics to know for this exam:

Know about stakeholder identification and working with stakeholders

If you know this stuff in detail you should do fine. Also, know the charts and tables for stakeholder identification and monitoring.

Good luck.
  • swoosh2010swoosh2010 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i failed today in the service transition, The Exam was not easy enough to pass.

now i will retake it but my question now is iam going to have the same scenarios with the same answeres or what?
    Sorry to hear that you did not pass. I still say these are the topics to know for this exam:

Know about stakeholder identification and working with stakeholders

If you know this stuff in detail you should do fine. Also, know the charts and tables for stakeholder identification and monitoring.

Good luck.

now i will retake it but my question now is iam going to have the same scenarios with the same answeres or what?
    swoosh2010 wrote: »

Not necessarily. They have multiple versions of each test, however, there are not unlimited versions of each test.

MS
  • 20112011 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BW81 wrote: »

Thanks
    Hi BW81,

Can you offer some tips on passing the RCV and PPO. Did u do a full fledged class or online training.?

Thanks,
    ALO
    2011 wrote: »
    Hi BW81,

Can you offer some tips on passing the RCV and PPO. Did u do a full fledged class or online training.?

Thanks,
    ALO

I did online courses. I went through the online training that was provided, read the accompanying books as well as studying the relevant official books.

Thanks
    finally, i passed the ST on last thursday icon_cheers.gif

SD is the next so if there's any reccomendation or hints i will appreciate it
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations!!

If you're doing SD online, I'd say take your time. Even though the Lifecycle syllabi all have the same recommended number of study hours, SD feels like one of the 'longest' as there is a lot of material to cover for each of the processes.

If you're doing it in a classroom, some reading in the SD core volume before the course will definitely help.

Claire