Job Resources

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
I'd like to compile a resource list for jobs to maximize chances of getting a job (I'm not applying for anything until I finish A+, at which time I'll be MCP and A+ certified in December).

So I checked out the IT job boards thread - it's dated, but still mostly relevant. Here are the main points I'd like to hit on that I'd like your opinions/advice/comments on:

I hear alot of talk about recruiters. Seeing as how I have no experience and am open to any avenue, how do you go about initiating communication with these people? Or do they contact you?

Job finding web sites:
Monster+HotJobs — Search Open Jobs, Post Resumes, Find Opportunity.
Dice.com - Job Search for Technology Professionals
Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com
ComputerWork.com IT High Tech Jobs Board: Employers Post Job | Search resumes bank, Computer Professionals free resume post and job search on Technical Employment Career Boards
Outsource to Freelancers, IT Companies, Programmers, Web Designers from India, Russia, USA, and more

Other resources:
LinkedIn | Relationships Matter (please pm me if you want another contact :) )
local newspapers
unemployment office
college employment counselor (I graduate with an A.S. in May)
state jobs website
"careers" links on local businesses websitesIf you see any links I've posted that suck, please let me know. If I didn't post a link that could be a great benefit, I'd like to hear about it! If you have alternative suggestions that I didn't think of please say so.

Thanks guys!
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A word of advice. Start now in getting your resume ready and applying. If nothing else you may get some interview experience.That Unix cert you have may help you out also.
    I just noticed that you have the 70-646 listed as the first test you plan to take for the MCITP:SA. That is usually taken AFTER you take the 640 and 642.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    earweed wrote: »
    A word of advice. Start now in getting your resume ready and applying. If nothing else you may get some interview experience.That Unix cert you have may help you out also.
    I just noticed that you have the 70-646 listed as the first test you plan to take for the MCITP:SA. That is usually taken AFTER you take the 640 and 642.

I've got the resume ready now. You think I should go ahead and post it without the certs?

I planned the 70-646 first because that is the first in the server administrator series that my school teaches. It's a bit overwhelming, maybe that would explain why (I'm taking the class right now).
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    I've found this site to be a one stop shop for job postings

Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm a big fan of Indeed.com and Craigslist (believe it or not). Of course make sure your resume is on Monster and Careerbuilder.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Are monster, careerbuilder and the other big job sites where the recruiters find you?

Thanks for the link to indeed icon_thumright.gif

I've got this thread bookmarked and will be using everything that comes up on here.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Indeed and Craigslist are my faves. I found my current job via craigslist, as a DoD help-desk contractor.

Dice is another good option.

Having your resume stand out gets you the interview, and your personality and people skills will land you the job.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)