WGU Refer-A-Friend (Thread for those seeking a referral)

Comments

• brwillmsbrwillms Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just FYI if you didn't get the referral to waive the $65 when you first applied, as long as you didn't approve your AAV you can still apply for the referral. You will get the $65 back when you get your student aid.

I was wondering how far into the process you could get before the referral was no longer an option. Thanks for the info!
  • d1ucant4getd1ucant4get Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in need of a referral for WGU. Any help would be appreciated. :D
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Will everyone who responds to a referral request please leave a reply post that you have taken care of that person.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is one of the thing that I appreciate about WGU. They require your certs to be current in order for them to count.

So the cut off on the certs is 5 years then?

How are they on previous schooling? In think when I stopped I was very close to an AS in computer science and mathematics. I think I was missing assembly language, a physics course, and discrete math. Looking at the IT Security degree, it looked as if between my certs and my schooling, I had a lot of their requirements already done. Are they pretty accepting of things like that?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tanix wrote: »
    So the cut off on the certs is 5 years then?

How are they on previous schooling? In think when I stopped I was very close to an AS in computer science and mathematics. I think I was missing assembly language, a physics course, and discrete math. Looking at the IT Security degree, it looked as if between my certs and my schooling, I had a lot of their requirements already done. Are they pretty accepting of things like that?

I believe it is five. You would have to call them in order to verify.

AAS or AS? An AS would transfer in a lot of credits.
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe it is five. You would have to call them in order to verify.

AAS or AS? An AS would transfer in a lot of credits.

An AS actually. It was community college and I was on course to transfer to the university there to finish off a BS in CS (math science option) and Math (applied).

I had two semesters of programming in C++ (ending with the advanced data structures class). Quite a bit of math, and a slew of the GE's and other subjects (criminal justice, administration of justice), heck... even took the Police Officers Standards of Training course for 22 units.

My hope was that with my past experience in IT (about 5 years ranging from PC/printer repair, PC help desk and on-site tech to application development) , combined with my certs as well as my schooling, I could cut my time to finish a degree in IT security greatly.

My certs are all under the 5 year mark and I planned to start as soon as I finish my CCNP.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tanix wrote: »
    An AS actually. It was community college and I was on course to transfer to the university there to finish off a BS in CS (math science option) and Math (applied).

I had two semesters of programming in C++ (ending with the advanced data structures class). Quite a bit of math, and a slew of the GE's and other subjects (criminal justice, administration of justice), heck... even took the Police Officers Standards of Training course for 22 units.

My hope was that with my past experience in IT (about 5 years ranging from PC/printer repair, PC help desk and on-site tech to application development) , combined with my certs as well as my schooling, I could cut my time to finish a degree in IT security greatly.

My certs are all under the 5 year mark and I planned to start as soon as I finish my CCNP.

Sounds like a good plan. If you want to really diversify your skills (not a bad idea for someone wanting to move in to security) then you may want to do the database emphasis.
  • mhpmhp Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also interested in getting a referal for WGU. I am looking at either the BS-IT or the BS-IT Network Admin, but I may also take the Security course instead.

I think that I am not able to receive pms yet, but I have enabled email in my profile.

Thank you in advance,
    Tony
  • ShawksShawks Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello! New to this site, would like a referral to avoid the registration fee. Thank you in advance. Cheers.
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
    Completed: EWB,BAC1,BBC1,CLC1, LAE1, INC1, LAT1, TEV1, TTV1, LUT1, QLC1, INT1, WFV1,WSV1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1 ,QMC1, QLT1,TSV1,AKV1,LWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1,WDV1,MGC1, TPV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, C220,C221. DEGREE COMPLETED!
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Just sent you an email Shawks... let me know if you got it!
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Mike_30Mike_30 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im in. Send me a PM or email and we can chat.
    Thank you for the referral. I am sure I will be hearing from WGU shortly, so I can finish my application and take my entrance exam. :D
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
    Completed: EWB,BAC1,BBC1,CLC1, LAE1, INC1, LAT1, TEV1, TTV1, LUT1, QLC1, INT1, WFV1,WSV1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1 ,QMC1, QLT1,TSV1,AKV1,LWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1,WDV1,MGC1, TPV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, C220,C221. DEGREE COMPLETED!
    I requested a referral and received one. I sent that information to WGU. They acknowledged the receipt of the information, but I have not heard anything else. How long does it normally take for this process? I would like to go ahead and finish my application, but would rather not pay. Thanks in advance.
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
  • ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Shawks wrote: »
    I requested a referral and received one. I sent that information to WGU. They acknowledged the receipt of the information, but I have not heard anything else. How long does it normally take for this process? I would like to go ahead and finish my application, but would rather not pay. Thanks in advance.

Mine happened pretty much right away. They email you a code (kind of like a coupon code) which you then enter after you fill out the application. Are you sure you didn't miss it in the acknowledgement email?
  • light_bearerlight_bearer Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mhp wrote: »
    I am also interested in getting a referal for WGU. I am looking at either the BS-IT or the BS-IT Network Admin, but I may also take the Security course instead.

I think that I am not able to receive pms yet, but I have enabled email in my profile.

Thank you in advance,
    Tony
    I got mhp an email for referral today.
  • nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    earweed wrote: »
    sent you an email

update:

Took a while but I finally finished all the requirements. I'm transferring a total of 47 units :D

I still need to wait for my financial aid. If everything go well, i hope i can start on Nov 1. If not then i'd have to wait til i save enough icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Once again, thanks alot earweedicon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
    HI Arysta,
    I contacted my counselor and he is out of the office till next week. So I left a voice mail to one of his associates. Still no word back. I keep getting emails from them stating I should hurry to make the November class. I really want to have the admission waived..............I will try again tomorrow.
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
  • nittynatnittynat Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone! Long time lurker here. After reading what everyone here has to say about WGU, I've decided to take the plunge and apply. I hope to start in December, January at the latest.

If possible, I would like a referral for WGU. Since I'm a new I can't PM yet so please email me. It's greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    nittynat wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Long time lurker here. After reading what everyone here has to say about WGU, I've decided to take the plunge and apply. I hope to start in December, January at the latest.

If possible, I would like a referral for WGU. Since I'm a new I can't PM yet so please email me. It's greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PM'd you.
  • nittynatnittynat Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks simtech. I appreciate the PM.
  • badutahboybadutahboy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any chance someone can PM me a referral?
  • apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    badutahboy wrote: »
    Any chance someone can PM me a referral?

Sent you PM.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • badutahboybadutahboy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    apr911 wrote: »
    Sent you PM.

Awesome! Thank you!
  • tr0ytr0y Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All -

Well after getting told 2x in one week we would hire you but that pesky degree is a requirement, not the 15 years of skills, I am going to go pound out a security degree from WGU. Anyone got a spare promo code ?

Thanks

Tr0y
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    tr0y wrote: »
    Hi All -

Well after getting told 2x in one week we would hire you but that pesky degree is a requirement, not the 15 years of skills, I am going to go pound out a security degree from WGU. Anyone got a spare promo code ?

Thanks

Tr0y

I pm'd you.
  • tr0ytr0y Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, so finally things are moving. Got in touch with my counselor. Received the referral code. Received my student id and password. Sent in my transcripts from college back in 1976.(don't laugh). Taking my assessment test shortly. Hope to start Dec 1st. Thanks everyone.

Well, after reading the boards, they were all about right. Took me little over an hour to finish the 3 tests. Really cleared the cobwebs out of my brain with the math part. English and advanced sentence construction was not too bad. Writing the final essay was not too bad, after I finally came up with a subject matter. 200 words is the minimum which is not too hard to do.
    On to check into financial aid then hopefully start school Dec 2010.

My certs are more than 5 years old and will not transfer over..........icon_rolleyes.gif
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Man, wish I had seen this thread before I paid my application fee. I'm planning on starting January 1st, just waiting for my FAFSA info to update on WGU's site and for my college transcripts to transfer. My enrollment counselor thinks I'm going to get a ton of Class Unit's for my Cert's, guess we'll find out soon.

Nice thing is I qualify for a $4600/yr Pell Grant! Whoo hoo!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
    Looks like it will be a cake walk for you! Well done!
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Shawks wrote: »
    Looks like it will be a cake walk for you! Well done!

I don't know about a cakewalk but I sure am hoping I can complete the BS IT:NDM degree in less than two terms. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012