When it pours it rains - so true

JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
I was looking for a job for quite some time now, and no dice at all. So yesterday I had a phone interview - which i thought i failed- and today i was told by them that I nailed it and HR will give me a call back to schedule a face to face interview. I got a second phone call right after i hanged up the phone and Guess what ? that's totally different company is calling me for a face to face interview for a Systems Engineer position.
Now I have 2 interviews scheduled a day apart for upcoming week. ;) I did not have an interview for about 6-7 years ;( Time to go through old TE threads for tips.
Any suggestions guys ?

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    good luck and carry an umbrella.
    its pouring over here... literally icon_cheers.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of tips here about how to dress and how to act but mainly research the company before the interview and be yourself. Have a few of the questions interviewers typically ask prepared in your head (Tell me your biggest strength/weakness, tell me a little about yourself)
    Also wear a nice suit.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You want a nice dark color suit. Navy Blue, Charcoal Gray preferably. I would avoid (personally) a black suit. The tie/shirt should be a nice complement and neutral. The shoes, of course, well polished. Do NOT wear jewelry, and if you're married, I would take the band off. Not for nothing (and I'm not a hiring manager...so please...try to sue me... icon_razz.gif ), but if I was interviewing a guy with a wedding ring, he could be the best candidate imaginable, but I would most likely NOT hire him, just because he's married (sad but true...married guys/women give bad vibe that they will be running late, take days off, etc...can't find babysitter...etc!).

It's illegal to ask about family life...that's a big NO-NO...but if you give clues like a wedding band on it's proper finger...then hey.....

Get to the interview 15-30 minutes EARLY. (Not on time, not 5-10-15 minutes late... :) ).

Aside from that, knock em dead...remember...in this economy...people can be picky and choosy....it's up to you to level the playing field!
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    When the interview ends, ASK FOR THE JOB! I used to work the employment gig, and several times we were told by employers they would have hired so-and-so then and there if they had just asked for the job.

Research the company the best you can. Have a list of questions for the interviewer (how long have you been here, what attracted you to come to work for the company, etc). Remember, its just not them interviewing you, but vice-versa as well.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on getting the Interviews -- in this economy that's pretty impressive in itself. icon_cheers.gif

Try not to be nervous and be Yourself. Practice your interviewing skills with a friend or family member if you have the time before the interviews. Employers can keep looking until they find the candidate that convinces them they can do the job well AND makes them feel all warm and fuzzy.

There are lots of qualified candidates out there looking for work -- and you're going to be competing against them for the jobs. Hopefully you get an offer from one of these -- but don't sit at home waiting for phone calls from them. Build on your interview momentum to find more opportunities -- and hopefully get more interviewing practice.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Isn't the saying "When it rains it pours"?? Because of course when it pours it rains would be true :p

Anyway, congratulations. Like Mike said, even getting an interview is an accomplishment. The biggest thing I can stress in an interview is just to be casual, be yourself. Wear a nice suit, show up on time, have an idea of what you are walking into, and then just be yourself. The hardest thing in an interview is your nerves, so be confident and know that even if this job doesn't pan out, another one will. (Maybe the one you already have an interview for, maybe another)

Go to walmart and pick up a nice looking leather binding. $10 and it makes you look a lot more professional, plus you have a place to carry copies of your resume, references, and a pen with paper to take notes if you need to.

When you sit down, stick your resume out in front of each person you're with. (I usually have like 6 copies). A lot of time they already have your resume, but sometimes it comes off their website or something and the formatting is crap. Plus its not on impressive paper.

Make good eye contact, speak clearly, and ask questions. Employers don't want to hire you just because you're looking for money. Asking questions expresses interest. I like to bring copies, or at least links to my certification transcripts, but keep that tucked away unless they ask for it (which they never do). But by being prepared you come off very highly. For example the references, most people I have interviewed with say they will need references and then are extremely impressed when I pull them out and hand them over.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. But just stay calm and be confident.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Bokeh wrote: »
    When the interview ends, ASK FOR THE JOB! I used to work the employment gig, and several times we were told by employers they would have hired so-and-so then and there if they had just asked for the job.

Someone has told me that before, but I've never had the guts to do it. He said that his company has hired people before just because they were caught off guard and couldn't say no.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Someone has told me that before, but I've never had the guts to do it. He said that his company has hired people before just because they were caught off guard and couldn't say no.

how would one go ahead and ask?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had one person who I set up on an interview. He walked in and when the employer asked tell me about yourself. He did and ended with "and I really want to come work for your company. How does Monday sound for a start date?" For him, it worked. Others may need to come up with their own wording.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You want a nice dark color suit. Navy Blue, Charcoal Gray preferably. I would avoid (personally) a black suit. The tie/shirt should be a nice complement and neutral. The shoes, of course, well polished. Do NOT wear jewelry, and if you're married, I would take the band off. Not for nothing (and I'm not a hiring manager...so please...try to sue me... icon_razz.gif ), but if I was interviewing a guy with a wedding ring, he could be the best candidate imaginable, but I would most likely NOT hire him, just because he's married (sad but true...married guys/women give bad vibe that they will be running late, take days off, etc...can't find babysitter...etc!).

Really? Thats the complete opposite I've heard form managers and the complete opposite way I felt when I had people working under me. Single people can much more easily walk away from a job so longevity is a concern with them. They are much more likely to be out partying causing less focus on the job and more likely to turn up late. When I had people working under me the married guys were always much easier to manage than the single guys running the streets at night. Of course every thing comes down to the individual but someone with a spouse at the house (and definitely with kids at home) have more stable personal and professional lives.

I also second the advice to ask for the job. At the end of the interview when they ask if I have anything else I specifically say I want the job and think I'll be a great fit. My current boss told me one of the things that set me apart is that I seemed like I really wanted the job unlike most of the other candidates. I showed genuine interest in the position and flat out told them I wanted it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    how would one go ahead and ask?
    i was wondering the same. that seems like it would be a deal breaker, like you are hiding something and want the job before they find out what it is.
    Single people can much more easily walk away from a job so longevity is a concern with them. They are much more likely to be out partying causing less focus on the job and more likely to turn up late. When I had people working under me the married guys were always much easier to manage than the single guys running the streets at night.

I actually made a bit of an effort to keep my hands on the table so they would see it. I think it shows more responsibility, and like networker said, dependability. If you have a wife and kids at home (and I don't it was just a promise ring), you can't be sleeping in and out all night drinking (which is the stereotype when they know you are 21). It would be expected for me to show up each day on time because I couldn't risk losing my job and watching my family starve.
    tdean wrote: »
    i was wondering the same. that seems like it would be a deal breaker, like you are hiding something and want the job before they find out what it is.

And thats why I never had the guts to do it. The closest I came was something like "So what is the next step for us"
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    tdean wrote: »

I don't say anything like "Can I have this job RIGHT now?" More along the lines of expressing interest that I really want the job. Something like "I really want this position and think I would be an excellent fit." Then I'll tell them I think I will fit in well with their team and could not only bring new things to the table but I'm also interested in learning. So I don't think it comes across as hiding anything.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Really? Thats the complete opposite I've heard form managers and the complete opposite way I felt when I had people working under me. Single people can much more easily walk away from a job so longevity is a concern with them. They are much more likely to be out partying causing less focus on the job and more likely to turn up late. When I had people working under me the married guys were always much easier to manage than the single guys running the streets at night. Of course every thing comes down to the individual but someone with a spouse at the house (and definitely with kids at home) have more stable personal and professional lives.

Yes marriage shows stability...but it also shows whos likely to be a 9-5er. I don't want to stereotype single people/married people, but the married folks I work with tend to leave on the nose, from what I've seen. I don't want to generalize married or single people, but from the hiring perspective, it could be the difference between getting a job or not. So the only prudent thing is to not indicate that at all.

Generalizations certainly go both ways, but ultimately, you are selling yourself and what you bring to the table. The other stuff that's going (or not going) on at home should just stay outside of the interview.
  • vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes marriage shows stability...but it also shows whos likely to be a 9-5er. I don't want to stereotype single people/married people, but the married folks I work with tend to leave on the nose, from what I've seen. I don't want to generalize married or single people, but from the hiring perspective, it could be the difference between getting a job or not. So the only prudent thing is to not indicate that at all.

Generalizations certainly go both ways, but ultimately, you are selling yourself and what you bring to the table. The other stuff that's going (or not going) on at home should just stay outside of the interview.

Why is leaving when your shift is over a problem? I see a lot of people lately with the mentality that you have to stay late after your shift even when there's nothing urgent to accomplish. I would rather hire a worker that has a life other than work and can get his work done during the alloted work hours.
    I'm not married and I walk out as quick as I can. I served my time, and as long as I have nothing to finish up quickly, I'm gone.
    There is a difference between leaving at the end of your shift, and watching the clock until the end of your shift. No one (even I) says you should hang out for an extra hour for something that isn't urgent. However....some bosses like that you left at say 5:05, or 5:10, or even 5:30 instead of 5:00 on the nose.

I learned a long time ago that come layoff time (even though this may not apply to me), when it comes time to lay off...clockwatchers tend to be the first to go. In my case, usually when I stay after my time, I'm working on stuff that I won't have to do the next day. This way when I need to leave early, I hardly get questioned as to why. It's all about (the illusion of) dedication. :)
    I let my performance shine during the day and don't need to resort to cheap tricks to show that I am a dedicated employee.
    I let my performance shine during the day and don't need to resort to cheap tricks to show that I am a dedicated employee.

If you're presuming that I solely need "cheap tricks" as opposed to my performance, you would be sorely mistaken. But listen, to each his/her own. I've been around for almost 2 decades in this field and am merely observing what I've seen.
    Get to the interview 15-30 minutes EARLY. (Not on time, not 5-10-15 minutes late... :) ).

10-15 early is the magic number. Any more early and you are going to start looking desparate, and an employer usually doesn't want to hire a desparate person. If you arrive too early you might disrupt their business, and they won't like that.

I was reading an article a year or 2 ago when the job situation was even worse. And apparently some people were showing up hours early for interviews. But again, you certainly don't want to show up on time or late.

I usually aim to get there 30-40 early because you never know what traffic is going to look like, and since a lot of the places I was interviewing were in the city or places I had never been, I didn't want to get lost. I then spent the extra time relaxing in the car (parking away from the enterance so they wouldn't know I've been there) playing on my phone or something.

Another tip, don't forget your wallet. One interview I went to, half way there I realized that in my haste I had forgotten my wallet at home. I called my girlfriend and asked if she could bring it to me. At about 10 minutes before the interview I decided I was just going to go in, do the interview, and if they wanted to hire me and needed my wallet I would tell them it must have fallen out of my pocket in the car (where she would have delivered it).

Much to my dismay, they wanted an ID the moment I walked in the door and I had the joy of explaining to them that I had forgotten it at home, but it was on the way. She finally got there, and it was still before my official interview time. I sat down (flustered as you can imagine) and spent the next couple minutes trying to calm myself.

The interview went great, and they would have hired me had my school schedule not conflicted. But I'd still like a do-over on that one.
  • larue38462larue38462 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm married and didn't feel the need to hide it in my interview. When I interview for a job I want to know what I'm getting and I want the employer to know what they're getting. If I'm passed over for being married when I clearly have the skills, education, and experience needed for the job, they can keep it. I also leave when its time to leave, granted nothing needs to be finished. Some days I watch the clock (because its just one of those days) and some days I get caught up reviewing a white paper, release notes, etc and leave 10-20 minutes after my shift. I get to work on time, do my job well, and only leave when there are no critical issues to deal with. I think people tend to read into things WAAAAAY too much and this is a prime example. Be yourself and nail the interview...if you're the best candidate for the job, you'll get it.

There is a difference between leaving at the end of your shift, and watching the clock until the end of your shift. No one (even I) says you should hang out for an extra hour for something that isn't urgent. However....some bosses like that you left at say 5:05, or 5:10, or even 5:30 instead of 5:00 on the nose.

I learned a long time ago that come layoff time (even though this may not apply to me), when it comes time to lay off...clockwatchers tend to be the first to go. In my case, usually when I stay after my time, I'm working on stuff that I won't have to do the next day. This way when I need to leave early, I hardly get questioned as to why. It's all about (the illusion of) dedication. :)
    Currently studying for Route. Shooting for a 6/3/11 test date.
    10-15 early is the magic number. Any more early and you are going to start looking desparate, and an employer usually doesn't want to hire a desparate person. If you arrive too early you might disrupt their business, and they won't like that.

I usually aim to get there 30-40 early because you never know what traffic is going to look like, and since a lot of the places I was interviewing were in the city or places I had never been, I didn't want to get lost. I then spent the extra time relaxing in the car (parking away from the enterance so they wouldn't know I've been there) playing on my phone or something.

Another tip, don't forget your wallet. One interview I went to, half way there I realized that in my haste I had forgotten my wallet at home. I called my girlfriend and asked if she could bring it to me. At about 10 minutes before the interview I decided I was just going to go in, do the interview, and if they wanted to hire me and needed my wallet I would tell them it must have fallen out of my pocket in the car (where she would have delivered it).

I have never been to an interview that didn't require the contents of my wallet (whether it was ID or showing off my faded A+/Network+ wallet cards...lol). All the more reason why if the interview is at 9...you wake up at 6 to give you plenty of time to get ready (assuming the interview is happening within an hour's distance). I'm in the NYC-metro...so you can only imagine the worst morning traffic imaginable (as well as the afternoon rush hour...especially on Fridays). Compensating for that (what the OP will no doubt be doing) is really rule number 1 here. By the time you leave your house, you should do your final check to make sure you got everything. Consider that your "lesson learned." [We all get those.]

My last interview I was 20 minutes early at Human Resources (first stop for candidates). My future boss was already there.....we then took the nice walk to our conference area in the other building where I had the "dreaded" 6 person interview. I did the internal smirk and was ready to do battle. Showing up at the interview an hour early may smell of that desperation you speak of...20-30....maybe 25 tops...not so much.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    And thats why I never had the guts to do it. The closest I came was something like "So what is the next step for us"

sounds like telling a broad, "let's take this to the next level"
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Thanks for all the info guys. I did not even think about preparing my cert ids,. I only have MCP id even though that I am MCSA already. Does Microsoft send out a new id when you accomplish MCSA/MCSE level or you just use the one that says MCP ID: xxxx Since XXX ?

The interview place is about 20 blocks from my current workplace, and I will leave my work about 35-40 minutes prior to the interview, it should be enough time even if i decide to walk there icon_smile.gif)

On the side note;
    I just picked up a nice charcoal suite DKNY Suit, Charcoal Solid Slim Fit - Grey Suits Suits & Suit Separates - Men's - Macy's
    a blue and a white shirt ( could not make up my mind which one to take ;))