Options

Failed 70-401 Configuring SCCM

With a 602. That breaks a string on 16 consecutive MS tests over the last 2.5 years without a fail. 5 questions into the exam I knew I was in trouble and I am surprised I scored as well as I did. I planned on taking this test in December and only started studying for it two weeks ago. I was burning through the Mastering book so quickly that I thought I could sqeeze it in earlier and be done for the year.

Lots of excuses as to why I failed, but the bottom line is I was underprepared because of my approach to this test. I have old SMS 2.0 and 2003 experience, but I only have OSD experience on 2007. I didn't realize how much I relied upon experience when taking tests until I attempted a subject without any experience.

I also relied on Mastering SCCM 2007 R2 as my primary text and that was a fatal mistake. That book is worthless - 450 pages of screen captures and 100 pages of text describing the screen captures. I believe that I am dumber for having read that book, and it will now join the Microsoft Training Kit for 70-297 and the Server 2008 Group Policy Resource Kit on the list of worst IT books I ever read.

I have the SCCM Unleashed book on my Kindle DX and I should have used that instead. I downloaded it earlier this year solely for the chapter on OSD, which was reviewed as the best coverage of OSD when compared to the Admin Guide and the Mastering book. Not coincidentally, my best section was the one on OSD. I like the Unleashed series for general learning purposes, but I don't like using them for exam prep because there is so much information in the books that I lose track of the exam objectives. Now I'm going back to the Unleashed book.

My motivations for taking this exam aren't that strong either. I do not work with SCCM, so I am not trying to certify my SCCM abilities. I also have no desire to work with SCCM, so I don't want to learn it. A few of us were challenged by our global director to pass 5 exams by the end of the year as part of an advanced desktop competency, and this was the only exam I had not passed already. I have been pushing for more pre-sales engineering responsibilities and I know our director is putting together a global team responsible for our desktop pursuits. I thought achieving that competency would lock in a spot for me on the team, so I scheduled the exam.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You weren't that far off for the amount of studying you did. It just shows your not perfect. Well you're still one of the most knowledgable people here on TE and we all really value the input you give here.
    Are you planning to retake it?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claymoore, that really sucks. I know I speak for many of us, including myself, on here when I say your knowledge and participation is highly valued and admired. So don't kick yourself too hard.

Are you considering retaking it?
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I started reading the rest of the Unleashed book on Saturday and I'll retake it when my schedule permits in December. I have a lot of plates spinning right now and I thought I could squeeze this test in real quick and be done with exams for a while.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    And plans can change just like that. A two week assessment that was supposed to start this week has been rescheduled until December. Looks like I will retake this in a couple of weeks now that I have some free time to study.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    bad luck with this. I am hoping to sit the exam by years end. I noticed you dont have the SCCM quizzes in the resources list. Maybe they will help: Download details: System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Product Feature Quizzes

I have been watching cbt nuggets and trainsignal as well. Very dissapointed with Trainsignal. CBT nuggets is well ahead with their video instruction for this exam. TS really needs to get SME's to record their training videos.