QoS not going anywhere for CCIP

For all those like me in the middle of obtaining their CCIP, you may have heard that the QoS is retiring. Lucky for us it is only for the CCVP.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccip/qos?view=overview
Cisco Page wrote:
*The QoS exam will continue to be available for earning the other associated certifications after February 28, 2011.

Fingers crossed things will stay that way and the CCIP won't go through a major overhaul or become retired.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Thanks for the update, it's nice to see an informative post on the subject of exam changes and overhauls, as opposed to the all-too-common, "I read/heard somewhere. . ." panic.

I'm sure the CCIP will undergo an overhaul sooner or later, seeing as how the whole pro-level of the Cisco cert-pyramid is changing from CCxP to CCNP: <speciality> to look a whole lot more like the CCNA and CCIE tracks, (as well as looking a bit like Microsoft's MCITP offerings.) We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I'm just glad that Cisco tends to give plenty of forewarning and give huge grace periods on the older exams.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man the CCIP NEEDS a major overhaul. Posters who have recently taken it have stated that the IOS on the BGP exam is just as outdated as when I took it two years ago... We're talking like 12.0/12.1 commands.

I would hope that QoS wouldn't go anywhere in the IP track given how important strong quality of service skills are for ISP engineers.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Man the CCIP NEEDS a major overhaul. Posters who have recently taken it have stated that the IOS on the BGP exam is just as outdated as when I took it two years ago... We're talking like 12.0/12.1 commands.

I would hope that QoS wouldn't go anywhere in the IP track given how important strong quality of service skills are for ISP engineers.

Hmmz that's interesting when I took BGP almost 12 months ago now.... the IOS wasn't that outdated.....

QoS definitely shouldn't go anywhere.......

If anything I'd like an overhaul of CCIP to include IOS-XR as most ISP's are buying kit these days that require knowledge of IOS-XR &/or IOS-XE.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The QoS exam is fine as is, I don't think it really needs an update.

The BGP exam definitely needs an overhaul to bring it more inline with modern BGP practices.

The MPLS exam could use some adjusting, but not too much. Better coverage of TE would be nice, as well as providing layer 2 VPN solutions.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    the IOSXR is included in the new SP Operations track ;)
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'm glad the QoS isn't changing, as I only just bought the book a month ago!
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • mathieu.bmathieu.b Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I just bought the IRA book from ciscopress, and i'm not sure if i should return it, as it seems the BGP exam will be updated soon with maybe a new book, what would do if you were me ?

Thanks,

Cheers,
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Where did you hear there will be a new BGP exam?
    lol, nowhere this is just a guess regarding all your comments here.
    Yeah I wouldn't worry man, even if they did IRA would still be relevant
    Ok, i'll keep it then, thank you. which paper could you recommend to me, to have an update on some of the new commands in the new IOS versions ?
    I'm studying for BGP and so far the Cisco white papers and CCIE blogs have been very good to fill in the blanks, but we'll see when I take the test
    Yeah, talking about that, i hear many of you writting about blueprint of white papers, to which papers are you refering to ? which sites ?

Thanks again for the help :)
    Cisco website, like this for example: Internetworking Case Studies - Using the Border Gateway Protocol for Interdomain Routing - Cisco Systems
    I would get familiar with the official Cisco docs, good luck
    I will ! :) thanks and give us your feedback once your passed, which i'm sure you will !!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Halabi's book is what I consider a must read primer on BGP, it's fine, and still relevant, though a new edition would not be a bad thing.

The BGP exam, otoh, needs a serious overhaul. Cisco seems to be happily updating things lately, though CCIP seems to be low on their list of priorities
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    though CCIP seems to be low on their list of priorities

I know right?! Sucks, b/c the IP was a great cert to study for, and the test (BGP and MPLS wise) was ancient in comparison to others that I have taken. I bet its somewhere in progress though for an overhaul.....
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I have this exam scheduled for Thursday, if I manage to clear it I will finish my CCIP icon_cheers.gif
    Non-native English speaker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sett wrote: »
    I have this exam scheduled for Thursday
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Too bad... I failed for just 4 points. I was surprised when I saw the result, I thought that it went well. Probably I made some mistake on some of the labs.
    Anyway, I will make one more run through the materials and let's hope the new year will bring new luck. I am a little frustrated as this is the first Cisco exam which I fail. I spent just the half of my time on the exam without double checking the questions. I will definitely take my time at the retaking.
    Non-native English speaker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hopefully it wasn't the bits/bytes that got you.

Good Luck on the rematch! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!