RHCT to RHCE

anotherpenguinanotherpenguin Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently at a point where I think I could pass the RHCT, but not the RHCE.

If I understand correctly:
RHCT now ($399) + RHCE later ($799) = $1198
Wait until I can just take the whole RHCE = $799

Am I missing/misunderstanding something? Is there a test that lets you upgrade from RHCT to RHCE without taking (and paying for) the RHCT portion again? Or a discount for people who already have an RHCT to take the RHCE?

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    The tests are going to cost the same regardless of your past endeavors, the only exception being if you take the exam and course, where it will lower the rhce exam to $599.

One point for correction, though... the rhce no longer includes rhct components. I took the RHCT course/exam and, while it was helpful learning the topics more in-depth, I didn't see how it would help anyone career-wise, because it's so specific in nature. It's specifically for administration of a red hat server/desktop.

I would highly recommend skipping the RHCT, but ONLY if you will have experience doing those tasks, already. The class I took the RHCT in, everyone failed except me. Not tooting my horn, but it just shows you that even though the topics are thought to be simple, applying them is not.

However, if you're not going to be heavy on user administration and other RHCT topics, skip it and go for the RHCE.
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    One point for correction, though... the rhce no longer includes rhct components.

Wait, so before you could attempt the RHCE, and fail the RHCE portion of it, but pass the RHCT portion.. it was like a consolation prize.

This is no longer the case?
  • TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    Wait, so before you could attempt the RHCE, and fail the RHCE portion of it, but pass the RHCT portion.. it was like a consolation prize.

This is no longer the case?

I believe it is still that way. When i took my exam rhce couple months ago if you failed the rhce you still had the potential to pass the rhct which was a completely separate score and all
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes it is still the case but Red Hat is looking into separating the tests so that people can progress forward more quickly when doing the RHCE. You will be able to still do the combined test or break them apart much like the Cisco Certs.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Yes it is still the case but Red Hat is looking into separating the tests so that people can progress forward more quickly when doing the RHCE. You will be able to still do the combined test or break them apart much like the Cisco Certs.

Do you have a source for where you heard this?
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    It says the following on the RHCE prep guide:
    Effective May 1, 2009, the RHCE exam is a single section lasting 3.5 hours. Previously, it had been two sections lasting a combined 5.5 hours. The content has be consolidated and reorganized into a single section in which time is used more efficiently. The RHCE exam consists of RHCT components (essentially the RHCT exam) plus RHCE-specific components. It is possible to earn RHCT in an RHCE exam if one has met the RHCT requirements but not the RHCE ones.

I was wrong. icon_silent.gif I didn't remember it being on there, but apparently my memory is running on fumes.
    Do you have a source for where you heard this?

My Red Hat instructor, I do not have his card on me at the moment it is at work but his first name is Greg.

Now he also mentioned that the separation of tests is probable but he gave no firm time line of when this might happen.
    Degrees:
  • TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    My Red Hat instructor, I do not have his card on me at the moment it is at work but his first name is Greg.

Now he also mentioned that the separation of tests is probable but he gave no firm time line of when this might happen.

Did he have long hair? I think he may have taught my class
    Sort of he works in Thailand primarily.
    Degrees:
  • rainwaterrainwater Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□

Changes were made today its seems, Red Hat Certified Technician is now Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator. You now need to take the systems admin exam to move to the engineer exam.
    Thanks for the info I will look it up.

Edit: It looks like they added some material to the objectives of RHCT so you cannot transition your RHCT to RHCSA without taking the new test. Oh well another thing to work towards since I have to earn an RHCE later on anyway.
    Degrees: