RHCT/RHCE Exam CHANGES!!

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Well it looks like Red Hat just screwed every person studying for their exam. RHEL6 came out today, which is good since it is long over due. With the release of this new version however Red Hat has also completely revamped their certifications/exams.

The RCHT is gone. Just like that. Now to replace it there is the Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), which is a pre-req to obtaining the RHCE (yeah that's total BS), costs $400, and has a whole list of exam prep guidelines that exceed what you needed to know for the RHCT. What this means for those looking to take the exam is that you need to spend an extra $400 now to become RHCSA first, learn additional material for the Red Hat exams (like there wasn't enough already), and do this without any new materials being released aside from Red Hat's official training courses (did I mention those cost about $3000).

The RHCE has been updated to now include new requirements for the exam itself, with an initial glance of it being harder (based on what is listed in the exam prep guide). You still need to pay $400 to take this exam and you must have a valid RHCSA in order to become RHCE (although you can take the test without the RHCSA).

I think it is complete c*** that they just changed the tests/resources/everything without a warning. I know that the exams should be updated with the new version of RHEL out, but come on...a sweeping major change in one day?!

Not to mention that those who have been asking about my book...well it seems half the book is no longer valid because the requirements just magically changed. Talking with the publisher about a course of action at this point.

Thanks for screwing me Red Hat. [Insert smiley face holding up the finger here]

Comments

• rainwaterrainwater Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sorry to here about your book, this has indeed thrown a wrench into things I was trying to accomplish before the new year
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That sucks man. So do you plan to rewrite the book with the expansions for RHCSA or just go with a RHCE only book?

I just reread the objectives. Man the RHCSA seems like it would be worth a book on its own.
    Exam Objectives

Candidates should be able to do the following:
    • Boot, reboot, and shutdown the system normally
    • Diagnose and correct problems at boot
    • Boot systems into different runlevels for troubleshooting and system maintenance
    • Use single-user mode to gain access to a system for which the root password is not known
    • Diagnose and correct misconfigured networking settings
    • Diagnose and correct hostname resolution problems
    • Diagnose and address permissions problems and SELinux policy violations
    • Diagnose and correct non-hardware disk storage problems
    • Adding new partitions, logical volumes, filesystems, and swap areas to a system non-destructively
    • Manually open, mount, unmount, and close LUKS-encrypted filesystems
    • Extend existing unencrypted ext4-formatted logical volumes
    • Login or switch user to the root account
    • Use ssh and VNC to access remote systems
    • Locate and read on-line documentation using man, info, and files in /usr/share/doc
    • Locate and analyze system log files
    • Understand how to use grep and regular expressions to analyze text output
    • Access a bash shell prompt and issue commands with correct syntax; use pipelines and I/O redirection
    • Use text editors such as gedit and vim to create and edit text files
    • Manage system resources: identify CPU/memory intensive processes, adjust process priority with renice, kill processes
    • Manage files and directories: create/delete/copy/move; create hard and soft links
    • Use tar, gzip, and bzip2 to archive and compress files
    • Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux manually with the graphical installer from network installation media
    • Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux automatically using Kickstart
    • Configure a physical machine as a RHEL-based virtualization host
    • Manage virtual machines: install/start/stop/configure to start at boot/access a VM's graphical console
    • Manage disk partitions: understand MBR-style partitions (primary,extended,logical); list/create/delete partitions
    • Manage logical volumes: create/remove physical volumes, assign PVs to volume groups, create/delete logical volumes
    • Create and configure LUKS-encrypted partitions and logical volumes to prompt for password and mount decrypted filesystem at boot
    • Canage ext4 filesystems: create, label, mount, mount automatically at boot (by UUID or label), unmount
    • Mount and unmount CIFS and NFS network filesystems, manually or by configuring autofs
    • Manage network devices: understand basic IP networking/routing, configure IP addresses/default route statically or dynamically
    • Manage name resolution: set local hostname, configure /etc/hosts, configure to use existing DNS server
    • Manage network services: check status, start, stop, configure to start automatically at boot
    • Configure the scheduling of tasks using cron and at
    • Manage local user and group accounts: create, delete, change passwords, adjust password aging, adjust group memberships
    • Use network user and group accounts stored on an existing LDAP directory service
    • Manage standard permissions: list, interpret, change ugo/rwx
    • Use sgid directories for collaboration
    • Set and manage Access Control Lists (ACLs)
    • Manage SELinux security: set enforcing/permissive modes, list file and process context, restore default file context, use "booleans" to adjust policy
    • Manage default firewall settings with basic tools
    • Install and update software packages from RHN or remote repository, or from the local filesystem
    • Update the kernel package appropriately to ensure a bootable system
    • Modify the system bootloader
    • Configure the system to synchronize system time using remote NTP servers
    • Deploy a VNC server that allows multiple desktops to be shared
    • Deploy file sharing services with HTTP/FTP
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Not to mention that those who have been asking about my book...well it seems half the book is no longer valid because the requirements just magically changed. Talking with the publisher about a course of action at this point.

Thanks for screwing me Red Hat. [Insert smiley face holding the finger here]

That.. kind of sucks.

If you want my opinion, get the publisher to hold off the release and let you update it for the new exam. Since RH is fairly slow at releasing major RHEL upgrades, and since this change pretty much invalidates all of the present books (not just yours). If you can edit and get it out quick enough, you should be able to beat anyone else to market at a time when all new aspirants will be desperately seeking updated training material. Would probably do good things for your sales.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That.. kind of sucks.

If you want my opinion, get the publisher to hold off the release and let you update it for the new exam. Since RH is fairly slow at releasing major RHEL upgrades, and since this change pretty much invalidates all of the present books (not just yours). If you can edit and get it out quick enough, you should be able to beat anyone else to market at a time when all new aspirants will be desperately seeking updated training material. Would probably do good things for your sales.

You read my mind exactly. After I was done throwing a fit I thought of just that as well. I plan to re-write much of the book over the next four days (have some vacation time). I'm all for updates and I think it is really going to help the Red Hat certifications retain more value, particularly since the new exams are harder looking, I just wish they gave me (and everyone else) a heads up. icon_rolleyes.gif
    It is also worth noting that going forward all the new Red Hat certifications are valid for 3 years. That kind of makes it easier to keep track of your certification status rather than waiting around for the next release to come out. RHCE 5 people don't expire till 60 days after the release of RHEL 7.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    What the hell !

I have already booked and paid for RH-302 and I should be taking it on 4th of December ?? what will happen now ?? icon_silent.gif

redhat.com | Training is still showing the same objectives ??

Edit: I sent an email to the training center asking them what will be the status of my exam !!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

UnixGuy wrote: »
    What the hell !

I have already booked and paid for RH-302 and I should be taking it on 4th of December ?? what will happen now ?? icon_silent.gif

redhat.com | Training is still showing the same objectives ??

Technically the old exams don't expire till March 2011, however 90% of testing centers will no longer allow you to book them. If the exam is non-refundable you'll have to take the old RHCE. If you pass you'll be good till RHEL 7 or you can take an additional exam to upgrade to the RHEL 6 RHCE which would expire 3 yrs after you attain it.
    Technically the old exams don't expire till March 2011, however 90% of testing centers will no longer allow you to book them. If the exam is non-refundable you'll have to take the old RHCE. If you pass you'll be good till RHEL 7 or you can take an additional exam to upgrade to the RHEL 6 RHCE which would expire 3 yrs after you attain it.

I already paid for the exam...I'm reading the FAQs now : redhat.com | Training

I'm not sure on which material of RHCE I'm gonna be tested ! should I study the new requirement or what ?

sure I can upgrade later to RHCE 6, but let me first pass the exam I booked and paid for..I'm worried about the objectives of the exam I'm going to take

• varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    It is also worth noting that going forward all the new Red Hat certifications are valid for 3 years. That kind of makes it easier to keep track of your certification status rather than waiting around for the next release to come out. RHCE 5 people don't expire till 60 days after the release of RHEL 7.
    The 3- year expiration is total BS. Beside forking their RHCE path and upping its price, all that hassle is now good for only three years?
    The way I see it, RH has just shot itself in the foot. I wasn't exactly contemplating on taking this exam as it was before, but now with these changes I am definitely turning my back to it.
    This however doesn't mean I'll skip on NightShade's book and would really like to have it in my hands when it gets published.
    so as I understand from the FAQs page, if I pass the RH-302 now it doesn't mean anyting !!?? maybe I should cancel it.

so as I understand from the FAQs page, if I pass the RH-302 now it doesn't mean anyting !!?? maybe I should cancel it.

It would be better to take the old exam, which seems much easier and has to potential to keep you certified longer.
    It would be better to take the old exam, which seems much easier and has to potential to keep you certified longer.

I want to take the old exam and take the new one later..

what I don't understand is this: If I pass the RH-302 for RedHat 5, am I gonna be a RHCE 5 ?? or I won't be anything ??

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I just wish they gave me (and everyone else) a heads up. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, some forewarning would have been nice.

It's a good thing they didn't decide to do this a week after your book hit the market though. Then your publisher would be livid
    That sucks man. So do you plan to rewrite the book with the expansions for RHCSA or just go with a RHCE only book?

I just reread the objectives. Man the RHCSA seems like it would be worth a book on its own.
    Hehe, yep! And expect this cert to be forked in 2- 3 years time, into something like "RH admin associate" which would be step 1 and "RH certified admin" which would be the final step. Man, do they know how to take us candidates for a ride...
    I was wrong thinking that RH profits strongly from the cert carousel. By the way they are treating it however (changes out of the blue), they don't seem to make that much to actually care about it...
  • silverspotsilverspot Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am booked on November 29th and am not sure what to do. I guess I will call them tomorrow.
    silverspot wrote: »
    I am booked on November 29th and am not sure what to do. I guess I will call them tomorrow.

Let us know what they say ! I'd sent an email to the testing center, will let you know their response icon_confused.gif

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In all honesty this is very bad. I was planning to go head first for this from Jan onwards, me and a friend were gonna study for this together which made perfect sense but I think he will feel the same as me about this.

Huge waste of cash and I hope they see sense and scrap this format.

Sorry to hear that your work has taken a dive nightshade because of this.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    @UnixGuy - You would be certified on RHCE v5.

Thanks for the feedback/support guys.

You know Red Hat does make a lot of money on their training classes...especially because no one else produces any kind of training materials or books for their OS. Now with this new cert they can double dip by getting employers to foot two bills one for each cert's training course (for a total for $6000 in training).

After going through the exam prep guide last night with a fine tooth comb, I have pulled out the changes that are totally different from the RHCT vs a few minor updates. It looks like there are 6 - 8 totally new topics with maybe 2 - 3 minor updates to existing ones. I'm going to re-work the book to account for this new material. At some point everyone will just end up accepting the fact that this is what Red Hat did and start going after their certs again. I also think they may draw a bigger crowd by adding a "system admin" (nobody seems to like the word "technician"). Having a book that covers all the new material I think will help those still wanting to pursue this path.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome! Way to play through it! RHCSA does sound better than RHCT. Plus when you get it, you will be a RHCSA and MCSA which too me sounds complete icon_thumright.gif

I am looking forward to your book.
    The testing center replied:
    ====
    Please note that we can still deliver the RHEL5 certification until Feb 28, 2011. If you pass the exam planned on the 4th December, You will obtain your RHCE, and it would still be valid, even though RHEL 6 has been released. you would not have to learn the new items, or pass the RHCSA test to obtain the RHCE. (The certifications are considered valid until two subsequent versions have been released. That is, if you would want to update your certification when RHEL 7 is released in a few years.)
    ====

I will take the RHCE 5 on 4th December

====
    Please note that we can still deliver the RHEL5 certification until Feb 28, 2011. If you pass the exam planned on the 4th December, You will obtain your RHCE, and it would still be valid, even though RHEL 6 has been released. you would not have to learn the new items, or pass the RHCSA test to obtain the RHCE. (The certifications are considered valid until two subsequent versions have been released. That is, if you would want to update your certification when RHEL 7 is released in a few years.)
    ====

Good luck unixguy and thanks for posting the response.
  • airbornecowairbornecow Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ====
    ====

Thanks for the followup, but I am getting conflicting information. I have called a couple of training spots on the east coast requesting the RHEL 5 course and/or test, but they said it was no longer available. Hope you guys can help me clarify things. Thanks.
    Thanks for the followup, but I am getting conflicting information. I have called a couple of training spots on the east coast requesting the RHEL 5 course and/or test, but they said it was no longer available. Hope you guys can help me clarify things. Thanks.

I have already mentioned above that many testing centers will no longer allow you to book the old exam. If you **already** have the exam booked then you are still free to take the old version.
  • anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i guess i will wait for NGHTS'S book before i tackle this next year.
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Count me in the group that has a RH302 scheduled soon and has been studying on RHEL5 for months....

Anyone have links to resources on the new topics? the encryption, iSCSI, virtualization stuff looks all new to me.

So far I've been told I'm taking the RHEL6 exam, which I don't mine -- as long as I pass. I'd rather have RHCE for the current version.

I've been playing around with RHEL6 now and there are some nice new featuers, but we'll see if I can cram all the new stuff in less than a month.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    /pub/beer/ wrote: »
    Count me in the group that has a RH302 scheduled soon and has been studying on RHEL5 for months....

Anyone have links to resources on the new topics? the encryption, iSCSI, virtualization stuff looks all new to me.

So far I've been told I'm taking the RHEL6 exam, which I don't mine -- as long as I pass. I'd rather have RHCE for the current version.

I've been playing around with RHEL6 now and there are some nice new featuers, but we'll see if I can cram all the new stuff in less than a month.

wait a minute, you scheduled for RH-302 (i.e RHCE 5) and they said that you will be taking the new RHCE 6 ?? or did you request to change your booking from RH-302 (RHCE 5) to Ex-300 (RHCE 6) ??

when's your exam ?

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do the certifications grow a letter after every 10 years or something? lol

MCSE -> MCITP
    RHCT -> RHCSA
    CCENT
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wait a minute, you scheduled for RH-302 (i.e RHCE 5) and they said that you will be taking the new RHCE 6 ?? or did you request to change your booking from RH-302 (RHCE 5) to Ex-300 (RHCE 6) ??

when's your exam ?

I was scheduled for RH302, I was told yesterday that I'll be taking the RHEL6 version instead. It's a Friday that I believe just is the 5th day of the RH300 course. Their lab is already transitioned (I'm assuming) and thats why my exam will be on the new version.

Dec 3rd.

I just feel live I've been thrown off my game because I've been through a few RH classes, read the Michael Jang book, researched up and down about the exam structure. I felt like I could have passed with a perfect score. I've been through all the objectives (RHEL5) and feel very comfortable with that exam.

Right now I feel like if I would take the exam today I would totally miss any of the new things (encryption, KVM) ... if I had those topics come up on the exam that I'd get 0 points for them. But I would hope I would still have enough points to pass.

So my goal for the next 3 weeks is to re-do all my labs on RHEL6 and do my best to figure out the encryption stuff, I do have some KVM documentation.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just got notified that Red Hat is issuing me a RHCSA because I was already a RHCT. I believe this was a class act on their part due to the exam change. RHCSA is supposed to be more difficult that RHCT (from their email) but they are grandfathering their Techs in.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    /pub/beer/ wrote: »
    I was scheduled for RH302, I was told yesterday that I'll be taking the RHEL6 version instead. It's a Friday that I believe just is the 5th day of the RH300 course. Their lab is already transitioned (I'm assuming) and thats why my exam will be on the new version.

Dec 3rd.

I just feel live I've been thrown off my game because I've been through a few RH classes, read the Michael Jang book, researched up and down about the exam structure. I felt like I could have passed with a perfect score. I've been through all the objectives (RHEL5) and feel very comfortable with that exam.

Right now I feel like if I would take the exam today I would totally miss any of the new things (encryption, KVM) ... if I had those topics come up on the exam that I'd get 0 points for them. But I would hope I would still have enough points to pass.

So my goal for the next 3 weeks is to re-do all my labs on RHEL6 and do my best to figure out the encryption stuff, I do have some KVM documentation.

I scheduled the exam only on 4th of December, and they told me it's RHCE 5 thankfully...but do you have RHCT already ? because according to the new rules, you can't have RHCE 6 unless you first pass the RHCSA..so even if you pass the RHCE 6, you won't be certified !