Trunking questions.

Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
does trunking 2 switches make 1 logical switch?

I do know the answer, but I want to see the logic displayed in words... I hope that makes sense :)
Eating humble pie.

Comments

• yebo2010yebo2010 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure what you mean by trunking 2 switches but I guess you mean two switches connecting to each other with a trunk link.

Not necessarily does it become one logical switch. To disprove the statement we can just use a counter example. Suppose we substitute one of the switches with a router(i.e a trunk from a router to one of the switches) does the statement still hold? If not then the trunk does not make the switches to be one logical switch.

The trunk just makes the link between the switches to carry multiple VLAN traffic.

I hope that helps.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    A vlan makes a logical switch, not the trunk port. If I have one switch with 3 vlans on it, logically, I have 3 switches.

In the context of a logical switch, a trunk port lets me add more ports to my logical switch (while possibly creating a bottleneck for them to talk to each other).
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    *agrees with Forsaken*

A vlan is a logical switch (well broadcast domain but you know what I mean) and the trunk link logically extends each logical switch. (logically)..lol
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    you still need to manage each switch separately.

VSS or gigastack ;)
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    VSS you could talk me into.

I'll pass on the gigastacks