Failed, then 30 days later passed?

WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
Has this happened to anyone else before? I feel like I am still asleep and just dreaming this entire thing up.

On Sep 18, I sat for the CISSP Exam and did OK, I was pretty sure I failed, but put forth a valient effort, well on 23 Oct or so, I got the results that I had failed with a 623/1000, not bad but not good... So I started studying again... This morning I received this e-mail...

"[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]During a quality assurance review, (ISC)2 discovered a technical error with your recent examination results. During this review, your examination was re-graded and we are happy to advise you that you have passed the examination.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Your updated results will arrive shortly in a separate email. We apologize for this error and any concern it may have caused in the meantime. If you have an active registration to take the exam again please contact registration@isc2.org and the registrations team will process your refund. We look forward to having you as a member.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial](ISC)2"[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]So has this ever happened to anyone before?[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Just a wild guess but maybe they graded all questions while some should be ungraded test items. Either way, the message is crystal clear, they regraded your exam and you passed, so congrats!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If there ever was such a thing as a miracle, you just got one. You could always give them a call and find out more about what happened, but the important thing is that you did, apparently, pass.

Big congratulations are in order, of course! icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    "quality assurance review"

while I never heard of such thing, but if it means anything then it means that you are lucky that they admitted their mistake ( without you requesting the review) and that the ISC2 are indeed a respectful testing authority

Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with all the above, and I'm glad to hear that such a mechanism exists, and is being used. congrats.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Congrats on the pass icon_smile.gif

btw have you checked your lottery numbers ??
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Thanks all, it was literally a miracle, I had a bad day yesterday, came in and saw those e-mails and didnt even think nothing of it until I started reading it. I am definetly glad they have a checks and balance system in place to correct erroneous results.

Being deployed currently, this is a pleasant surprise. Just happy I don't have to take that beast again... This test is the first test to mentally kick my behind....
  • tbilentbilen Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also sat for the exam on the 18th of Sep. Mine was in Pittsburgh. I was notified Oct 20th that I hadn't passed and then got the same email yesterday that I had passed. Seems this could have been pretty widespread. Interesting.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    A guy I work with just received this email yesterday as well...funny how things go.
    tbilen wrote: »
    I also sat for the exam on the 18th of Sep. Mine was in Pittsburgh. I was notified Oct 20th that I hadn't passed and then got the same email yesterday that I had passed. Seems this could have been pretty widespread. Interesting.

I think it was that weekend that they had issues with, another message board, other people who took the exam on that weekend also got the e-mail.

My guess is, they saw that more people failed than usual that weekend and decided to regrade all of the exams and that is where they figured out there was an issue.
  • jokingjoking Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi William,

I also took 918 exam, failed then got the surprise email yesterday.
    Anyway, previously I recieved a miserable score of 404......

Cong. on myself already.

Cheers.
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    Has this happened to anyone else before? I feel like I am still asleep and just dreaming this entire thing up.

On Sep 18, I sat for the CISSP Exam and did OK, I was pretty sure I failed, but put forth a valient effort, well on 23 Oct or so, I got the results that I had failed with a 623/1000, not bad but not good... So I started studying again... This morning I received this e-mail...

"[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]During a quality assurance review, (ISC)2 discovered a technical error with your recent examination results. During this review, your examination was re-graded and we are happy to advise you that you have passed the examination.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Your updated results will arrive shortly in a separate email. We apologize for this error and any concern it may have caused in the meantime. If you have an active registration to take the exam again please contact registration@isc2.org and the registrations team will process your refund. We look forward to having you as a member.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial](ISC)2"[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]So has this ever happened to anyone before?[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    I think it was that weekend that they had issues with, another message board, other people who took the exam on that weekend also got the e-mail.

My guess is, they saw that more people failed than usual that weekend and decided to regrade all of the exams and that is where they figured out there was an issue.
    As 404 is a crazy score compared with my work done, i hv written to ask for a score check via their web site.....no response til yesterday surprise
    but i hope i m one of the contributors...congraz for us to receive what we deserved.icon_cheers.gif
    joking wrote: »
    As 404 is a crazy score compared with my work done, i hv written to ask for a score check via their web site.....no response til yesterday surprise
    but i hope i m one of the contributors...congraz for us to receive what we deserved.icon_cheers.gif

I fele bad for those on the opposite side, who received Passing letters, only to get e-mailed yesterday saying they really failed...

(ISC)2 really dropped the ball on this one....
    I fele bad for those on the opposite side, who received Passing letters, only to get e-mailed yesterday saying they really failed...

in fact, the failed notice makes me depressed for weeks so as my cisa prep. and i m q sure that i will fail on dec 11 icon_sad.gif
  • vonoventwinvonoventwin Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

The crazy thing is I know I passed that test. Anyway, I already have my certificate to find out today that I actually made a 652 and failed. No way, not acceptable. Anyway, I have contacted all the Board members and I am trying to get all the individuals that originally passed, to be able to keep their PASS. Here is what I sent:

“Former” CISSP Certificate Number 386145
    I’m not sure if you are aware of the recent activity with ISC2 exams. There have been several folks that have received an email months after they received their initial email stating that they had failed. The new email states that due to a technical error they have now passed. That’s fine. Good for them and I’m happy it worked out for them. However, what’s not fine is receiving an email that I have passed, did my endorsement letter, and then received my certificate in the mail that I am a certified CISSP, and then today receiving an email stating that I have now failed. I know I passed that exam! I am requesting that the Board come to an agreement and create a waiver for all of the individuals with these circumstances. It is not professional by any means to award someone their CISSP and then have it stripped due to a technical failure. First off, I waited five weeks to receive my results, did my endorsement letter, and waited another three to get the confirmation that I was a CISSP. Do you know how many people I have told? My friends, family, and my company! Now I’m just supposed to go tell them that the certificate in my cubicle means nothing and that I actually failed. I am not going to do that. Nobody should have to do that. The preamble to the Code of Ethics states, “Safety of the commonwealth, duty to our principals, and to each other requires that we adhere, and be seen to adhere, to the highest ethical standards of behavior.” Does ISC2 practice what they preach? Is this ethical behavior in any way what so ever? Absolutely not! Therefore, I am begging you as a member of the Board to take appropriate action and re-award everyone that just got their CISSP stripped due to this technical error.
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    I wonder how far back this quality assurance testing goes....this is insane. I'm glad they did a QA testing, but as the previous poster stated....what about the people who went through the entire endorsement process, celebrated for months, received promotions, bonuses and what not? Why did it take so long for QA anyway?
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • rosedalerosedale Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First .. Congrats!!!

Just the opposite on me .. On Oct 20 I got pass message and today got the failed message.. just 20 marks below the pass mark.. I am lost!!!!

Those books are now my pillows.. Going to re-use them..
    rosedale wrote: »
    First .. Congrats!!!

Just the opposite on me .. On Oct 20 I got pass message and today got the failed message.. just 20 marks below the pass mark.. I am lost!!!!

Those books are now my pillows.. Going to re-use them..

All of you who now have failed need to contact the Board members. We need to make our case. This is complete unethical behavior on a company that upholds one of the highest calibers on ethics. Just go to their website, click on About us, and then click on Board of Directors. That will allow you to send an email to Diana-Lynn Contesti. I sent the same email to each Board member. Keep calling and ask to speak to a supervisor. They are well aware of the issue and are being swamped by calls.

Someone told me ISC2 uses the same testing techniques that are used for the Government Election process. This does not make me feel real warm and fuzzy anymore...
    I am being told anyone that originally passed and now failed will be given either a full refund or a voucher to take the test again.

IMO (ISC)2 is trying to make the best out of a bad situation.
    I am being told anyone that originally passed and now failed will be given either a full refund or a voucher to take the test again.

IMO (ISC)2 is trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

Yeah they sent the offer for the refund, I'm not taking it. I want my CISSP and if ISC2 does not make this right, then I don't want my CISSP. Why in the world do I want to be associated with an organization that states ethical behavior in their Preamble but completely does one of the most unethical things that can be done.

"Congrats! You passed" Nevermind sorry you failed...

If the Board doesn't request a waiver for all the individuals that just got their CISSP stripped, then I don't want to be associated with a company that contradicts everything that state they believe in...

not for me.
    Yeah they sent the offer for the refund, I'm not taking it. I want my CISSP and if ISC2 does not make this right, then I don't want my CISSP. Why in the world do I want to be associated with an organization that states ethical behavior in their Preamble but completely does one of the most unethical things that can be done.

"Congrats! You passed" Nevermind sorry you failed...

If the Board doesn't request a waiver for all the individuals that just got their CISSP stripped, then I don't want to be associated with a company that contradicts everything that state they believe in...

not for me.

It would be unethical for them to give you a certification that you failed.... By giving you the opportunity to take the test again for free, they are doing the only ethical thing they can...
    It would be unethical for them to give you a certification that you failed.... By giving you the opportunity to take the test again for free, they are doing the only ethical thing they can...

Problem is, I'd bet $1000 dollars I didn't fail. Something's up! I had a class of 20 and myself and another guy was answering every question in the class correctly. I was the only person that actually felt good coming out of the exam. And I'm not trying to sound "bigheaded" but every certification exam I have taken so far, I haven't missed a question. Straight 1000's across the board. I'm telling you, something ain't right...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Just a wild guess but maybe they graded all questions while some should be ungraded test items. Either way, the message is crystal clear, they regraded your exam and you passed, so congrats!
    Yeah, that's the first thing that came to my mind. The exam grading service used by the (ISC)2 accidentally used the wrong keys on a batch of exam booklets to determine which exam items were the unscored research items. Looks like this happened to some exams taken in September and October.

I don't know that for a fact, but it seems reasonable.
    All of you who now have failed need to contact the Board members. We need to make our case. This is complete unethical behavior on a company that upholds one of the highest calibers on ethics.
    Why in the world do I want to be associated with an organization that states ethical behavior in their Preamble but completely does one of the most unethical things that can be done.

By admitting their error, the (ISC)2 has done the utmost ethical thing. Their own quality assurance procedures revealed an error in their exam accounting and they have corrected it so that the "error" does not become an "ethical mistake." Unfortunately, the correction resulted in some people being disappointed and feeling hurt. However, it would be unethical to allow people to pass who in fact failed, and visa versa.

Everyone and every organization is allowed to make errors. Banks, credit reporting services, the IRS, schools, certification vendors, and so forth. The legal system takes errors and honest mistakes into account in its judgments. This is why you can't keep the $1,000,000 your bank accidentally transfers into your account. The bank is legally allowed to make errors. The same is true with pass/fail announcements from certification vendors.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Everyone and every organization is allowed to make errors. Banks, credit reporting services, the IRS, schools, certification vendors, and so forth. The legal system takes errors and honest mistakes into account in its judgments. This is why you can't keep the $1,000,000 your bank accidentally transfers into your account. The bank is legally allowed to make errors. The same is true with pass/fail announcements from certification vendors.

I believe what you are referring to are due dilligence and due care.
    By admitting their error, the (ISC)2 has done the utmost ethical thing. Their own quality assurance procedures revealed an error in their exam accounting and they have corrected it so that the "error" does not become an "ethical mistake." Unfortunately, the correction resulted in some people being disappointed and feeling hurt. However, it would be unethical to allow people to pass who in fact failed, and visa versa.

Sweet! Can you tell this to the 100 people that I have already told I passed. Don't get me wrong, if I failed it would be unethical to certify me. But I don't think I did. I want to have my test manually regraded. Maybe I'm taking the wrong direction. Instead of pressing to get my CISSP reinstated, I should just sue for emotional distress...
    Sweet! Can you tell this to the 100 people that I have already told I passed. Don't get me wrong, if I failed it would be unethical to certify me. But I don't think I did. I want to have my test manually regraded. Maybe I'm taking the wrong direction. Instead of pressing to get my CISSP reinstated, I should just sue for emotional distress...

If you know you passed, why can't you take it again next month then?
    If you know you passed, why can't you take it again next month then?

Hell I can take it right now. But did you not sit in a chair for 6 hours and take the longest exam of your life? Do you think I'm really excited about jumping right back on that?

I know you now passed, after knowing you went in and failed. But now are extremely happy with your new results. I am not going to bring down your new found happiness. So congrats and good job passing man!
    I believe what you are referring to are due dilligence and due care.
    Hmmm...in this scenario I'll say that "due diligence" is the researching and implementation of the quality assurance policies and procedures, and "due care" is the actual performance of those policies and procedures within the business processes of the organization.

Did I pass this exam item? icon_wink.gif
    I want to have my test manually regraded.
    This is an excellent idea. The (ISC)2 does accommodate such requests. I'm sure a lot of other candidates in your situation will be doing the same.
    Instead of pressing to get my CISSP reinstated, I should just sue for emotional distress...
    In all seriousness, you will need to prove actual monetary damages to a U.S. court of law to win a civil case. Unable to earn an income due to the emotional stress may do it, but it's too soon to know if that's gonna happen.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yeah, that's the first thing that came to my mind. The exam grading service used by the (ISC)2 accidentally used the wrong keys on a batch of exam booklets to determine which exam items were the unscored research items. Looks like this happened to some exams taken in September and October.

I don't know that for a fact, but it seems reasonable.

I hadn't seen the 'reverse' version of this topic yet (I was like where did the other 20 replies go? icon_scratch.gificon_lol.gif). Using the wrong keys (actual punched card like overlays?) would explain why this happened both ways. A typical and classic task for a computer, yet for such a test I think the tests being scored by humans only adds to their credibility.

Considering the cost and time for the exam I think I'd request a manual regrade if that's possible but frankly any doubt I would have whether the results are correct would vaporize 'after' they made and corrected their error. I think you can be pretty sure they made sure the results are accurate the second time.
This discussion has been closed.