sys C: error message...

caustikcaustik Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
i gave my girlfriend a list of critical files and had her delete or corrupt them(frsh install win98->upgto win98SE).

computer started up displaying a 'j' and a cursor. any thing i pressed typed a j.

anyway io.sys was corrupt, she deleted all but 1 line in msdos.sys, and command.com +some not so needed files were missing. booted with a disk and used sys C: cept i get this

"Cannot find the system file in the standard locations on the drive C:. SYS can only be used on drive C: to attempt a repair of an already existing installation of Windows. Use windows setup to make drive C: bootable."

what causes that?

i got the files from elsewhere and fixed the comp but even repaired sys C:
gives me that. all i've found online is some overcomplicated solutions

just wondering what causes it .. used sys with out probs on that comp previously

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    caustik wrote:
    i gave my girlfriend a list of critical files and had her delete or corrupt them(frsh install win98->upgto win98SE).

anyway io.sys was corrupt, she deleted all but 1 line in msdos.sys, and command.com +some not so needed files were missing. booted with a disk and used sys C: cept i get this

what causes that?

I'm curious (as well as confused) why is it you wanted here to delete or corrupt files?

Were you trying to have someone break it to see if you could fix it? Or were you actually performing an upgrade as you mentioned??

I installed Thousands of Win9.x series upgrades/fresh installs over the years....but I cannot say I am understand which path you were taking above....Perhaps I read it incorrectly icon_confused.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • caustikcaustik Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    it was a clean win 98 install then upgreded to win 98se

and yes i had her break it so i could fix it.

sys C: would have fixed then main prob cept i got that wierd error and i dont't know why it happens
    sys C:

"Cannot find the system file in the standard locations on the drive C:. SYS can only be used on drive C: to attempt a repair of an already existing installation of Windows. Use windows setup to make drive C: bootable."

^ what does that mean and what causes it?
  • paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    This is the reason for the error message:
    "sys" sees (broken) pieces of itself. The "sys" command can only be used on a properly formatted drive. Both the "sys" command and the "format" command must be of the same version. In this case, win98. Fortunately, the "format" command actually comes with an "s" switch [format/s] "format/s c:" will automatically place the system files on the drive after it is formatted. Then you can install win98 and once that is done, do an upgrade to win98SE. (No need to break anything).
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
    your saying sys gives me that error msg because of the corrupt and missing files? i thought it's purpose was to replace such files (and to install dos os).
  • paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    Those files (system files) can only be placed on a "properly" formatted drive. Once the system files become corrupt, or are missing, the drive is no longer in a "properly" formatted condition.

By properly formatted, I mean that the drive must be formatted initially. Then (and only then) can the system files be placed on the drive by using either the "sys" command, or you could choose to use the format/s command, (which will place the system files on the drive after the format automatically). Should something happen to the system files later, then this formatting process must be repeated.
    This is the repair process being referred to using Windows Setup to "make drive c: bootable" The system files cannot simply be replaced by invoking the "sys" command.
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson