CBT Nuggets Videos & All-In-One Security+ Book

badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
Has anyone here tried the CBT Nuggets Security+ series and if it helped a lot??

I already bought Darril Gibson's book from Amazon. For secondary reference i'm eyeing out this book, has anyone used it??
CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Second Edition [Hardcover] by Gregory White
Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Second Edition (Exam SY0-201) (9780071601276): Gregory White, Wm. Arthur Conklin, Dwayne Williams, Roger Davis, Chuck Cothren: Books

I just passed the Network+ exam with no problem. Security+ I'm gonna need more motivation and time to process ,as I have less experience in that field.
2011 Certification Plans so far:
[Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
[MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
[Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
[CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I used the CBT Nuggets Security+, it good got plenty of information in the videos. Worth a look at in my opinion, especially if not already overly familiar with the material.

Also had the Sybex Security+ review guide got some small reading
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    badboyeee wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried the CBT Nuggets Security+ series and if it helped a lot??

I already bought Darril Gibson's book from Amazon. For secondary reference i'm eyeing out this book, has anyone used it??
    CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Second Edition [Hardcover] by Gregory White
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Second Edition (Exam SY0-201) (9780071601276): Gregory White, Wm. Arthur Conklin, Dwayne Williams, Roger Davis, Chuck Cothren: Books

I just passed the Network+ exam with no problem. Security+ I'm gonna need more motivation and time to process ,as I have less experience in that field.

I`m in the exact same boat as you. I`ve read of people passing the security+ exam alone on understanding Darrils book, so the cbt nuggets can only help cement what you learn from the book or vice versa. I don’t like using books (didn’t for Net+ and got an 885) but I’ve heard so many good things about it I’m going to give it a shot now. Coming from A+, then Net+ or just Net+ you should have a decent amount of the basics down besides things like cryptography and disaster recovery. It seems CompTIA made the test to be taken in order from A+ to Net+ to Security+. All I can offer is an opinion of someone using what you’re asking now. if i sit for the exam first I’ll repost and let you know.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I`m in the exact same boat as you. I`ve read of people passing the security+ exam alone on understanding Darrils book, so the cbt nuggets can only help cement what you learn from the book or vice versa. I don’t like using books (didn’t for Net+ and got an 885) but I’ve heard so many good things about it I’m going to give it a shot now. Coming from A+, then Net+ or just Net+ you should have a decent amount of the basics down besides things like cryptography and disaster recovery. It seems CompTIA made the test to be taken in order from A+ to Net+ to Security+. All I can offer is an opinion of someone using what you’re asking now. if i sit for the exam first I’ll repost and let you know.

I plan to take it the last week of December, I have that week off. I will use Darrils book as my main reference and will probably get CBT Nuggets. A little problem I had studying for Net+ was I had too many resources to read/watch from, I will just concentrate on these two for Sec+. I am still looking for a good study guide that I can print out, I used the MC MCSE free study guide for Net+, it was nice because that's also where I wrote all my notes on.

And Congratz on the pass for Net+, score of 885 without using any books, nice!!!

Class taking:

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I plan to take it the last week of December, I have that week off. I will use Darrils book as my main reference and will probably get CBT Nuggets. A little problem I had studying for Net+ was I had too many resources to read/watch from, I will just concentrate on these two for Sec+. I am still looking for a good study guide that I can print out, I used the MC MCSE free study guide for Net+, it was nice because that's also where I wrote all my notes on.

And Congratz on the pass for Net+, score of 885 without using any books, nice!!!

Thanks. I`ve gotten through the first chapter of darrils book with the hopes of a chapter a night and then reading the review sections and doing the tests up until the actual exam. i plan to be done watching the videos(i have cbt and train signal) by the 7th. and then a week of practice tests. The ones in the book are pretty good. Kinda wish i still had my prep logic subscription now cause there tests were extensive. Do you know of any places to get practice test?

All in all i PLAN to atleast schedule my test on or by the 14th. I`ll definitely repost with the results.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Thanks. I`ve gotten through the first chapter of darrils book with the hopes of a chapter a night and then reading the review sections and doing the tests up until the actual exam. i plan to be done watching the videos(i have cbt and train signal) by the 7th. and then a week of practice tests. The ones in the book are pretty good. Kinda wish i still had my prep logic subscription now cause there tests were extensive. Do you know of any places to get practice test?

All in all i PLAN to atleast schedule my test on or by the 14th. I`ll definitely repost with the results.

wow you got nuggets and train signal?! you must have your company taking care of the costs for training?

after reading so much praise for darril's book, from both here and amazon reviews, i will just try to read the book first. i heard even his practice questions is enough, but id like to know other places for practice questions as well (so nope, i dont know any other places for good practice questions as of right now). got thru half of the first chapter and its good read so far. im actually trying to take it easy for probably another week or so since i just got done with network+. i do have have other things to worry about, one of them is i just got a job interview set for the end of the month. but dont wanna break away too much so im mainly just familiarizing myself with the comptia's sec+ objectives guide for now.

hope your studying goes well!

Class taking:

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wow you got nuggets and train signal?! you must have your company taking care of the costs for training?

after reading so much praise for darril's book, from both here and amazon reviews, i will just try to read the book first. i heard even his practice questions is enough, but id like to know other places for practice questions as well (so nope, i dont know any other places for good practice questions as of right now). got thru half of the first chapter and its good read so far. im actually trying to take it easy for probably another week or so since i just got done with network+. i do have have other things to worry about, one of them is i just got a job interview set for the end of the month. but dont wanna break away too much so im mainly just familiarizing myself with the comptia's sec+ objectives guide for now.

Like you, I wanted to make sure I had multiple sources.

I had Transcenders, LabSim, Sybex's Security+ Review Guide, MeasureUp's Security+ exam and of course Darill Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead.

After reading Darril's book, going through the other materials and finally taking the test, the one thing I am 100% sure of is that Darril's book is ALL you need to pass this exam. If you have above a 5th grade reading level, Darril's book is easy to follow and you will not feel bored.

Other people can pass this exam with just Sybex's book, and they usually have good product, but my 870/900 on Security+ is attributed mostly to Darril's book. I normally would advise you use multiple sources for other exams...with Security+, however, I will continue to advise just using "Get Certified: Get Ahead". Spending hundreds of dollars for videos like CBT Nuggets really is unnecessary when $10 (if you get the Kindle book) is all you need to spend and pass.

Trust me, I was made into a believer AFTER I passed the exam, the first time and with a really nice score.

Man I wish I was sponsored. I`m an IT contractor and these certs kind of get me in the door for the jobs that I want to do. I took the Net+ and once my contacts knew that i was even studying for it i started getting Cisco router install jobs. But yea spending hundreds of dollars is definitely out of the question unless a boss is paying for it or you are studying for a higher end Cisco cert. With that being said, however they are acquired, they aren’t a bad resource to use but as erpadmin and countless others have stated Darrils book is all you need to pass...this certification.

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With that being said, however they are acquired, they aren’t a bad resource to use but as erpadmin and countless others have stated Darrils book is all you need to pass...this certification.

Oh yes...I would hardly state using one source for any other cert (maybe the CIW ones, but really now...). In the case of Security+ though...Darril really is all you need.

I never would have believed that until I took the exam myself and spent so much time reading Darril's book as well as using the other aforementioned materials. But after I took that exam and became a Security+ certified professional (lol), I was convinced. :D

I really can't stress that enough. icon_cool.gif
  • Xargon61Xargon61 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used both Nuggets and Darril's book to pass the exam. The nuggets are a great foundational resource, and Darril's book really hammers the information home.
    ok ok ill plan to read to crap out of darril's book. hehe

im up to the 3rd chapter now. i skipped the assessment test bc just from the few questions i looked at, i had very little idea what the answer was.

i plan to read thru the book once while doing each set of chapter questions. then will try the assessment test again. read the book again and actually take notes at the same time. then take the practice exam at the end of the book as if i was taking the actual exam. then depending on the result i will go from there :D

ps: does anyone know if the free windows kindle application will allow to print pages from darril's kindle book? and if i can use darril's kindle book on more than one PC??

Class taking:

• nebapnebnebapneb Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @badboyeee
    nope, can't print, can't even copy & paste (unless you screen print i suppose?)
    would have been nice once you've highlighted & made your notes/marks etc
    though i suppose writing in longhand makes it sink in a bit more?

you'll be able to use the kindle app on a few pc's, i've got it on the work one, my netbook, my family laptop & on my htc hero so i've no excuse

@TheSuperRuski
    preplogic had a mini sale last week - practise exams for $30 woohoo!
    i got enough to upgrade my MCSE:S, work also paid for the MS multi exam pack with secondshot, so i'm happy as a pig in poo!

currently slogging through darrils book, watching cbt nuggets for the crypto as i find that the hardest

exam booked for friday, but i may push it back a week
    Knackered from working too much, yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!
    nebapneb wrote: »
    @badboyeee
    nope, can't print, can't even copy & paste (unless you screen print i suppose?)
    would have been nice once you've highlighted & made your notes/marks etc
    though i suppose writing in longhand makes it sink in a bit more?

you'll be able to use the kindle app on a few pc's, i've got it on the work one, my netbook, my family laptop & on my htc hero so i've no excuse

okay cool. icon_cool.gif im gonna buy it now! will install it on my netbook, on my work PC, home PC, and maybe even my HTC TouchPro 2.

if i knew there was a Kindle for PC app before buying the actual book, i would've just bought the kindle version. The actual book is heavier than my netbook. I'll probably be able to read one chapter at work per day.

Class taking: