Ethical Certified Hacker

PawNtheSandmanPawNtheSandman Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone know anything about this certification? I would like to take it to learn how to better protect my network. Is this a useful cert or bs?
Currently Studying: CCNA

Comments

• TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    I think this would be a nice qualification to have, but I'm not sure how well it holds up in the IT field!.....I guess as long as you had other good solid qualifications then I don't see why not trying for this one. I would suggest maybe doing a Security+ before tackling this exam though.

Also not sure how future employers would see you.

Some would see that you have gained addtional knowledge OR may see you as a potential threat to their security!!!

http://gbagirl.silver101.com :D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I think the knowledge would be good to have, but I agree that it might seem odd if not outright undesirable to an employer. But, you don't have to tell an potential employer that you have this cert, just that you have extensive knowledge on the subject.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    if your not planning on using the cert on a resume then what is the point of taking the exam? You take certs to prove your knowledge to someone else not yourself, so just learn the material and save the money you would have spent on the cert.

On a side note, "hacker" looks horrible on a resume. I would not get that cert simply because of that. No company wants to take the risk of hiring a "dangerous hacker" wether your supposed to be "ethical" or not.

Just imagine if you were hiring which sounds better? "Ethical Hacker" or "Security professional"

could be a great cert, but it will never be taken seriously by the IT field solely because of its name
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know anything about this certification or major system, network, whatever security in general. What I do know is that the word 'hacker' is misused and actually a 'cracker' is the one a company should be concerned about.

It's the main distinction between those two terms that are confusing. I think a professional company will know that the CEH certification is not a certification obtained to exploit their security infrastructure when hiring an individual.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    The term hacker has definately been adultered by the media in the last 15 years. You will have the holy war over hackers, crackers, script kiddies, and so on. Being someone with a somewhat jaded background and having lots of like minded friends (some good, and some bad) but they all have one thing in common, when they finally grow up/get a job they stop their boasting about this and that and they arent hackers anymore. They become sys admins, firewall adminstrators, security auditors, and so forth. They are smart enough to know that a term like that has been abused by the media and they are smart enough drop any labels that may hurt their future.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    TeKniques wrote:
    I think a professional company will know that the CEH certification is not a certification obtained to exploit their security infrastructure when hiring an individual.

You are correct. A company that is going to hire someone for the skills that it takes to pass this exam...know what the cert is. The companies that shy away from the word "Hacker" in the in CEH are probably the companies that need to hire one the most. icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    The companies that shy away from the word "Hacker" in the in CEH are probably the companies that need to hire one the most. icon_wink.gif

Very true!
  • UndertowUndertow Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that CEH is not what a person needs to be a hacker , because it is based on ready programs that others build.That's not hacking but exploiting resources.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    True, it does teach tools, but it also teaches the basic concepts of how to go about finding information, using the information, etc.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I always thought using the terms {ethical & hacker} in the same sentence, was a bit of a misnomer. But the common day media has turned the term hacker into a bad thing.

I always thought putting this cert on your resume would stop you from getting a job because of uneducated HR managers. But then again these are the same HR managers who want you to have a MCSE/CCNA just to answer the helpdesk phone for 17K a year. icon_rolleyes.gif
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)