Route Loop Labs

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey guys,

I really feel like I am lacking in the area of preventing and troubleshooting routing loops. I think I get the concepts, I just need to work though more scenarios to find the "gotchas". Anyone know where I can get some legit Q&A or scenarios to work though?
-Daniel

Comments

• HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    in my experience, troubleshooting route loops has just been:
    1. ping
    2. TTL expired in transit message
    3. traceroute to see the loop
    4. Look at routing table in devices, identify issue.

Identifying the issue once you know what the loop is is generally not too hard in my experience.

Routing loops are hard to create unless you are purposefully doing it, and they are normally caused by static routes or by tinkering with settings that you dont understand in a routing protocol, at least in my experience.

I don't know of anywhere that has awesome routing loop labs.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Heero wrote: »
    in my experience, troubleshooting route loops has just been:
    1. ping
    2. TTL expired in transit message
    3. traceroute to see the loop
    4. Look at routing table in devices, identify issue.

Thats how I go about looking for it also. I actually just fixed one that was caused by static routes being redistributed into OSPF inadvertently. A traceroute will usually showing you where the loop is as you can see it bouncing between the two.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Thats how I go about looking for it also. I actually just fixed one that was caused by static routes being redistributed into OSPF inadvertently. A traceroute will usually showing you where the loop is as you can see it bouncing between the two.

+1

mtr or something equivalent will show the loop...easy to identify what's wrong from there :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP