Options

Affect Network+ will have on young tech..

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys. I'm 18 years old, with 19 coming up in the next couple of months, and I've been gone for the past roughly 6 months with the U.S. Army. I'm on reserve status right now, and hoping to break into what I wanted to do since before I left- Network administration. I had been studying on and off for my A+ cert, but then decided the Network+ would better fit me. I knew I would put it off if I never set a date, so I bought my voucher, and scheduled a test date (July 21st). I have been studying up a decent bit, but have quite a ways to go.

Anyways, I know I will pass, with some more work..but my question is- with no real IT experience, how much will being Network+ certified affect my job-searching in the IT field? I'm not looking for a $50k/yr job as a network admin..I realize that's not realistic, yet. I just want something that can get me some experience. Will local tech shops and support companies be more apt to hire me with "just" the Network+? I plan on beginning on my MCSA once I finish this certification, so this is not the end of my studies, by any means. Beginning school in August as a Criminal justice administration major. I wanted to major in networking technology- but the local colleges/universities only offer programming related majors, and the nearest school that does offer a networking program would be a pain to commute to. That being said, I am getting college experience soon, but not anything IT related yet. I'd like to go back to school afterwards for maybe an associates in NT, though...

I apologize for the long ass post guys, but I figured I'd ask the pro's for some guidance here. Thank you for your time...

-Mike

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Unfortunatly, Network+ won't get you any job alone, especially without experience. Net+ just hasn't taken hold in the market, and it is only entry level. Although, it's still a good cert to have, and you need to know the knowledge anyway. A+ is looked for more. When you do pass Net+(confidence is key), I would suggest A+, which gives you good entry knowledge, and also counts as an elective towards the MCSA you mentioned.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Ricka182 is correct. Net+ won't get you a job on its own, but the material you'll learn while studying for it is essential for other certifications and networking in general.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Hey guys. I'm 18 years old, with 19 coming up in the next couple of months, and I've been gone for the past roughly 6 months with the U.S. Army. I'm on reserve status right now, and hoping to break into what I wanted to do since before I left- Network administration. I had been studying on and off for my A+ cert, but then decided the Network+ would better fit me. I knew I would put it off if I never set a date, so I bought my voucher, and scheduled a test date (July 21st). I have been studying up a decent bit, but have quite a ways to go.

Anyways, I know I will pass, with some more work..but my question is- with no real IT experience, how much will being Network+ certified affect my job-searching in the IT field? I'm not looking for a $50k/yr job as a network admin..I realize that's not realistic, yet. I just want something that can get me some experience. Will local tech shops and support companies be more apt to hire me with "just" the Network+? I plan on beginning on my MCSA once I finish this certification, so this is not the end of my studies, by any means. Beginning school in August as a Criminal justice administration major. I wanted to major in networking technology- but the local colleges/universities only offer programming related majors, and the nearest school that does offer a networking program would be a pain to commute to. That being said, I am getting college experience soon, but not anything IT related yet. I'd like to go back to school afterwards for maybe an associates in NT, though...

I apologize for the long ass post guys, but I figured I'd ask the pro's for some guidance here. Thank you for your time...

-Mike

I've gotten a really good job as a Systems Admin/Network Engineer with only a Network+. I had 4 prior years experience with an aas degree though. I just made a good resume & can relate to people in the interview.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I actually was hoping to take a jump away by going for the Network+, but I didn't realize I'd need the A+ that much. I was almost to the point of taking it, but after being gone for so long, a lot of it slipped my mind. I can still do it, but it'll just take some brushing up. I've heard having the knowledge to pass the Network+ will definently help when it comes to the A+, though.

But hey...knowledge is key, so I'll just learn as much as I can through the cert. Again, thank you all...I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes. I really need to study up and get my protocols straight, and definently re-read the TCP/IP sections a bit more.
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    Why not go into IT in the Military? If you're already in, it can't hurt. The military IT training is some of the best there is, and is recognised by everyone as a college diploma. Then get certified, do your 7 years, and then you'll be a good pick in the private market.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    mikey_b wrote:
    Why not go into IT in the Military? If you're already in, it can't hurt. The military IT training is some of the best there is, and is recognised by everyone as a college diploma. Then get certified, do your 7 years, and then you'll be a good pick in the private market.

Ah..you've been in my head again, eh? Hah. Actually, what you said basically pinpoints what I want to do..but I am still trying to leave options open. I'm taking one semester of school (just so I have *some* college behind me), then hopefully going to active duty for the remainder of my enlistment- by then, that should be about 4 1/2-5 years. The difficulty, is that I am currently in medical unit, and the MOS I'd like (computer analyst...basically network tech/admin/PC tech) is very hard to get. I'm hoping if I can get this network+ along with the A+ that I can say "hey, you can send this person to all this training, and spend your time and money on them..or go with me, with the certifications already, and will require considerably less time training"..or something along those lines. I definently won't do IT as a career in the military, however..pays nowhere near the civilian world. Through benefits, perhaps..but still.

I do have a question mikey_b..is the military IT training really looked that highly upon? I have been told they train you to the level at which you could go out of training and immediately pass the A+, and be somewhat prepared for the Network+, but that's it. I wouldn't be suprised if the IT training is quite intense, since the military training I have had already was very rushed. But hey- get paid decent $$ to basically go to class, right?
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    I do IT in the military and it's been a great experience so far. In fact, military IT is really industry standard stuff, though most people don't know that because it's "the military." Most of what I've learned when studying for certs and going to school has helped me at the job tremendously. The only thing I hate is being the only go-to guy in the shop...I get at least 20 questions a day. Sigh...

icon_cool.gif
    Reloaded~4~Ever