Options

Switch Trunking

tengutengu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
When connecting multiple switches together, even with using just one VLAN, do you still need to configure trunking? I was under the impression the switch would learn that the other was a switch simply via CAM tables.

Comments

• Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    It depends on what model of switch you have. Some come out of the box set to dynamic desirable and will form a trunk with another switch with the same setting and or dynamic auto. I believe the newer 2960's come out of the box set to dynamic auto and will not trunk with each other unless the settings are changed.
  • Options
    rinoelrinoel Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tengu wrote: »
    When connecting multiple switches together, even with using just one VLAN, do you still need to configure trunking? I was under the impression the switch would learn that the other was a switch simply via CAM tables.

If there's only one Vlan on the switch which is by default Vlan1 (native vlan), you don't need to configure trunk links between the switches...
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    In addition to Rinoel, trunks pass multi-vlan traffic. If you don't have more than one vlan, you don't need a trunk.
  • Options
    tengutengu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the information. I was sort of thinking that a trunk was not necessary for the same reasons. Thank you all, again!