Options

Cisco 1721 memory question

marktemarkte Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm in the process of studying for my CCNA. I've been using GNS3 but a friend has three 1721 routers from a previous job he said I could have. I'm laid off right now so money is tight, but I'd like to get as much hands on as possible.

They work fine but I'm confused about memory in these. This page
Installing and Upgrading Memory in Cisco 1700 Series Routers - Cisco Systems says that the 1721s have default memory 64MB DRAM and 32 MB flash and that flash isn't upgradeable. But the ones I am looking at have what I pasted below
I guess my question is, can these be upgraded to meet IOS 12.4 requirements? I don't mind purchasing some memory off Ebay, but if it's not going to work....

cisco 1721 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 54588K/10948K bytes
16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
cisco 1721 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 27900K/4868K bytes
16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page:
    Portable Product Sheets - Partner Central

You'll find PDFs for Router Memory, Router Performance, Switch Performance, Modules Cross Reference, etc

The Router Memory PDF shows that the FLASH on the 1721 is FIXED -- and there are no slots for upgrade -- and the early versions of the 1721 shipped with 16Meg Flash.

The memory can be the default 64Meg (later models) -- or less for the early models. There is a slot for upgrading the DRAM -- but you'd have to see if there were any BIOS limits.

It may be possible to tftp boot a more recent image that won't fit into the limited 16Meg Flash -- as long as you upgrade the DRAM to support it. That 2nd 1721 looks like it's an old model, so you may max out at 96Meg DRAM.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    marktemarkte Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you. I'll just install the latest IOS on them I can for now and order some memory and see if it will work. One has two DSU-T1 WIC cards and the other has a DSU-T1-V2 and a WIC-1T so at least I can work with some actual cabling. I do have 2 2950C switches so these routers plus the 2950 will get me started with some physical routing work.

I'm about 2/3 through Todd Lammle's book so hopefully I can be among the CCNA members soon. Thanks again and I hope to learn a lot from this forum!
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    with the 2 switches, a real router or two, and GNS3 you should be good to go to lab/test everything you need for the CCNA.
    Welcome aboard
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283