Who's working on 70-290?

xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
Hello 70-290 forum!

I'm finally getting around to working on some M$ material. After the CCNA and Security+ it will be a nice change of venue. I was just wondering how many others happen to be working on this exam at the moment. If you've already finished it feel free to share any tips.

I aquired a copy of VMWare Workstation this morning and plan to get my lab up and running tonight. I have an Intel Quad-core with 4GB of RAM, so it should cover the basics for me. I don't have a ton of server experience, but I'm familiar with it and took a college course a few years ago that used the MS Press 70-290 book. I'm hoping a month, give or take, will be enough to knock this one out.

Happy labbing! icon_study.gif
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

• Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Passed it 4 years ago after reading the MS Press book twice and working with Server 2003 for 3 years. I found it incredibly easy, easier than the 270.

2003 stuff is easy to lab these days with VM

Good Luck icon_thumright.gif
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    I just passed it 2 weeks ago on my 4th attempt. The first 2 tries I really didn't focus on it much. I read the press book over a few times and had set up a lab which helped me out alot, in addition to buying transcender material. I advise you to read the press book over twice and get a 2nd resource like cbt nuggets to fill in any gaps.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I passed it last month with little actual study using the Exam Cram 2 book and a whole lot of real world experience. I'd agree with mojo that it's even easier than 70-270.

Anyway, my assessment is that 70-290 isn't one that's going to require a lot of labbing to understand the concepts. It's a good idea to have a couple of VMs set up running as DCs, so you can mess around with domain functional levels, seeing how that affects group nesting and such. But basically, if you understand NTFS and shared permissions, and the basics of active directory, you should be fine.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'm watching the CBT nuggets now, while I wait for the MSCE box set to ship (not bad at $70 for all 4 books). The more I watch, the more I feel like this test won't be a big deal for me. I'm doing desktop support right now, but I still work with AD Users and Computers on a daily basis. So, most of the concepts I've seen aren't new material. I just watched the segment on groups and the whole Domain Local/Global/Universal concept is a lot to wrap my head around at the moment. Maybe it's just the way it was explained....who knows.

On an unrelated note...I did find out that if you upgrade Windows on your host PC after installing VMWare workstation and setting up VMs, that it can cause virtual hardware problems icon_surprised.gif Lost both my virtual ethernet adapters and spent an hour reading before finding that a reinstall of VMWare solved the problem.
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What version of workstation are you using?

+1 I'm studying for my 290 also!!!

When you sitting yours?

Mine is booked for 4 Dec...

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
    Version 7.1.1 - Had to go look because I didn't have a clue icon_lol.gif

I haven't booked mine just yet, but if I pass it by the end of the year I'll be satisfied. I'm almost finished with the CBT Nuggets and should be getting into the MS book this weekend.

I have to admit....it's kinda hard to stay awake through some of these videos. The instructor is good, the material is just dry.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 290 is very important to learn almost every topic that is tested for real life job knowledge. I've used dsquery/dsget/ntbackup/perfmon/drivers/mmc/AD... You get the point.

If there is any test you need to focus a lot of lab on to understand every topic, it's this one.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • muthamayimuthamayi Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi im preparing for the 70-290! Im going to test the first week in Dec. What about you?
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To the OP, your right, some of them are really dry... espescially if you use the stuff in real life... I was watching the videos and I couldnt see myself staying awake through the first 5 vids in the series...

Mishra- Thanks for the advice! Will keep this in mind during the prep!

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • stratos201stratos201 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am studing 70-290
    Hope to set for cert test before end of year
    Good Luck to everyone who are setting for 70-290 cert test
  • mattygmattyg Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just a hi to everyone - I m new here. Took my 70-270 back in 2005 and am getting back on the cert track now! Have 4 exams booked (since September) - Taking 70-290 Monday week today and want to give a thank you to some of the contributors on here, for the notes from the sticky etc

I have amassed some good learning prep if any other newcomers want some help

May the certs be with you...

M
    Good luck man. I just booked mine for 1/3/11. I'm ready to get the 290 out of the way so I can get to the real meat and potatoes of this stuff.
  • zarzarelzarzarel Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

I’ll have my 90-270 this Friday, so wish me Good luck J, I’ve studied MS book and some Test Out.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm also studying for the 70-290 and hope to pass it within the next 2-3 weeks since I already have experience with Windows Server Operating Systems and Active Directory. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am working on it too.. Hoping to pass in 3-4 weeks.. Then onto 291.. :)
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.