hacking and security tools on apple mac

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guy,

wondered what tools people were using on MAC do security and hacking tasks. I was looking for tools that could have the same funtionality as 'cain and able', I see they do wireshark and Nmap for MAC.
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Didn't you ever see the movie Hackers? Just use what they used. That looked sweet! ;)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Rent Independence Day. You can hack into alien motherships with just a Mac!

Most general UNIX tools will work with minimal porting on OSX. If it does low level things however with any of the interfaces then you might have to work on it a bit. Metasploit should work.
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Didn't you ever see the movie Hackers? Just use what they used. That looked sweet! ;)

angelina jolie icon_lol.gif
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Kismac for wireless, its got automated cracking features too, wep only i think.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Kismac, Wireshark, any linux tool you can think of. Remember, apple's OS is essentially Unix.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can I revise my answer? VMware, then do it right ;)
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I personally just use Parallels and Backtrack 4 to do security testing related stuff on a Mac. If you do plan on doing wireless stuff, you will probably have to purchase a USB wireless adapter to do it. As has been said here, just about any *nix tool will port over to OSX. You may have to do some tweaking and such to get things to work perfectly. Good luck on your hacking journey.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • ConnorConnor Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,you can try to use LoginTrap.It’s tool can capture every login events by using iSight. And you'll can see what he do.Moreover notify you about login events by email.In my opinion it's really good security tool.)icon_cheers.gif
  • Niko89Niko89 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have tried LoginTrap)
    Thank you)
    Cool app))
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    tiersten wrote: »

Even when I first saw this movie at the age of 14/15 I shook my head in disgust about what Hollywood must think of the general public to believe that they would accept something like that as a possibility... But as the years have gone by I've learned that the general public is really that stupid icon_rolleyes.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »

I think this is likely true. My MBP makes me appear 4 inches taller, and I can use it to dowse for water.

MS
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aldur wrote: »
    Even when I first saw this movie at the age of 14/15 I shook my head in disgust about what Hollywood must think of the general public to believe that they would accept something like that as a possibility... But as the years have gone by I've learned that the general public is really that stupid icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I know, Randy Quaid flying a jet....rrrrriiight....

MS
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    It's legit guys. I did it.

1337 H4x0R!!!!!!icon_twisted.gif
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Can I revise my answer? VMware, then do it right ;)

VMware is usually what I use as well for any security testing with my Mac. I recently tripple booted my mac to have osx/win7/Ubuntu and have the ubuntu with all the security stuff I use regularly. It was a semi-challenge getting ubuntu working correctly as far as networking goes, but the issues I had were resolved after massive amounts of trolling forums. I still however prefer to load up through VMware.
  • dijital1dijital1 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be sure to also install MacPorts. You can install most common security tools from there (scapy, nmap, hexedit, etc...) Metasploit will also run on OS X without issue.

Probably your best bet though is to run something like VMware Fusion and use Backtrack 4. It's going to have pretty much any security tool you can think of.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    Yeah, I know, Randy Quaid flying a jet....rrrrriiight....

MS

That's a lot funnier now that we know he has just been evading the Hollywood Star Whackers this whole time!

Randy Quaid and Evi Quaid's 'Hollywood Star Whackers:' Real Threat or Bizarre Excuse? - ABC News
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed