Options

Just installed Server 2003 Standard SP2. Should I install R2?

Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
Starting my Microsoft studies. I'm using the MS Press 70-290 book, which states to not install R2 since it won't be covered on the exam. Plus, the book says that if R2 is installed, some of the exercises will be different.

But the book (2nd Edition) is from 2006. Is R2 now on the exam?
In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS

Comments

• Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bueller?
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your best bet would be to check the differences with R2 and just decide on your own.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You may as well. R2 specific technology is not really tested on the MCSA/MCSE track. But there are some enhancements you might like to know about from a practical stand point.
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    There are specific mentions of 2003 R2 in some questions on the exam but it makes no material difference to the question or answer.

There are some screenshots in the book that will look slightly different with R2 installed (extra radio buttons etc) but again, makes no material difference to studying unless you are simply following text and not understanding what you are doing.

In my view - play with both. Spend more time on R2 - as it's what's in the real world.