Study Suggestions

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi All,

Sorry,just realised I posted this in the wireless section by accident.

After the CCNA, I'm looking for others thoughts on whats the best route to follow, taking into consideration where people see the future roles being, e.g Voice, Security or even away from CISCO - e.g Virtualisation?

What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It mostly depends on what interests you. Trying to guess based on the IT landscape is useless as it changes. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It really is what do you want to do in the long run. More than likely unless you are spending your time learning way out dated information there will be a need for IT in almost every field all the time. Do what makes you happy. I didn't think I would like VoIP until my boss encouraged me to get the certification (I hated phones). Now I love phones, and want to deal with them in my future as my specialty. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.

So what do you want to do?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Looking at the more specialized fields you mentioned, all of them are in demand. Voice especially IMO (immediately and in the near future).

The core routing and switching will never go away though, and just look at the future for that. IPv6 deployments. Those are a bit down the road, but they will be big, and now is the time to do some investigatory work to make the right purchasing decsions during hardware refreshes for IPv6.

Pick what you'd like after the CCNA, the most important thing is that you pick something and learn it, and refuse to let your skills stagnate.
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    I really don't what I want to do after the CCNA, there so much paths to go down. I guess I'm trying to get a sense of what others are doing at the moment, or what may be the hot fields to get into.

For a complete newbie to VOIP, can you recommend any good books to start with?