Options

Just passed Net+ about to study for Security+

pennstate22pennstate22 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed my Network+ today and i will start my studying on Sec+ later this week. I already have the sybex book and i see everyone talking about this Darril guy's book so I was curious...which one would you recommend and would it be worth it to buy darril's book if i already have the sybex book?

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just passed my Network+ today and i will start my studying on Sec+ later this week. I already have the sybex book and i see everyone talking about this Darril guy's book so I was curious...which one would you recommend and would it be worth it to buy darril's book if i already have the sybex book?

Congrats on the Net+ pass. I personally would recommend Darill's book but in the end it comes down to your cash flow. The paperback is 30 bux but you could also get it in Kindle for PC version for 9.99 (just download Kindle for PC from amazon.com for free). This would technically be the e-book/e-reader version of it.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348

Almost every post in this Security+ forum mentions Darril's book. I already had the All-In-One Security+ book (well borrowed from library) and was going to get CBT Nuggets but people still suggested to use Darril's book over them. I say at least get the Kindle version (I actually already have the book but debating to get the Kindle version anyway).
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    thanks for the advice everyone maybe ill order it from amazon
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used the Sybex myself but for $9.99 you can't beat the Darril Gibson book. The Sybex book was kind of dry.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    does anyone know if darril gibson's book comes with a CD for practice problems or are they just in the text?
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just text. Been keeping track of my answers in notepad. Would love some type of test software but not that big of a deal.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Just text. Been keeping track of my answers in notepad. Would love some type of test software but not that big of a deal.

thanks a lot man i was just curious cuz i have used sybex and i liked the CD exams but i hear this book is really good so I think im gonna buy it and read it instead of sybex
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    thanks a lot man i was just curious cuz i have used sybex and i liked the CD exams but i hear this book is really good so I think im gonna buy it and read it instead of sybex

yeah use the sybex for secondary reference and additional practice questions. although there are loads of practice questions in darril's and great explanations for each answer. it has 20-25 questions after each chapter while most other books (well at least the ones i came across) only had 10-15 questions after each chapter.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)