What's better, CS degree at lesser school,or highly ranked IT degree at better school

gravyonggravyong Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my dilemma right now.

I have no clue what it is I want to do within the IT field, I love computers and want to be very marketable by the time I finish college. To become more marketable I plan on not only getting a wide variety of certs, but pursuing the best computer program within my state that I can find.

Right now it comes down to Computer Science at a local, not very nationally known university, or a Business Information Technology program at a much more widely known school that some critics say is one of the top 10 IT programs in the country (critics may be a little biased), regardless, it is an excellent program.

The Computer Science program at the more locally known university is by no means terrible. They have a Masters and PhD program for CS where a lot of people from different countries come to do. and I'm also really interested in the subject of CS. It's just hard to decide when there is supposedly an excellent IT program from a nationally, or regionally known school.

Comments

• pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    gravyong wrote: »
    This is my dilemma right now.

I have no clue what it is I want to do within the IT field, I love computers and want to be very marketable by the time I finish college. To become more marketable I plan on not only getting a wide variety of certs, but pursuing the best computer program within my state that I can find.

Right now it comes down to Computer Science at a local, not very nationally known university, or a Business Information Technology program at a much more widely known school that some critics say is one of the top 10 IT programs in the country (critics may be a little biased), regardless, it is an excellent program.

The Computer Science program at the more locally known university is by no means terrible. They have a Masters and PhD program for CS where a lot of people from different countries come to do. and I'm also really interested in the subject of CS. It's just hard to decide when there is supposedly an excellent IT program from a nationally, or regionally known school.
    i would say the computer science degree is better. Just make sure you get experience and some certs prior to graduating.

whats the top 10 IT program?
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Unless you plan to stay technical your entire career go with BIT. Three of the managers here in IT are pursuing their Master's degrees in it. Just an observation and my opinion based on it. ;)
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Computer Science has been a diminishing degree in the past few years. Unless you are going to be a details oriented programmer for operating systems or major systems like database management systems (the system itself, not a program that accesses one), I just don't know what kind of real value you will get out of it. For most IT people, CS isn't worthwhile.

That being said, you may be one that would benefit, and you will be the one spending the time and money to do this, so just make sure it is what you want to do.

Information Systems or Information Technology degrees from business schools give you a broad understanding of technology, project management, and business. I honestly believe that it is a better route for most.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    if you can afford a higlhy ranked Computer Science school, then go for it. There are now a 5 yrs programs where u can do BSc/MSc program in one shot. Go for it, big companies appreciates this kind of education and it'll pay off (specially in the long run).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• gravyonggravyong Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would say the computer science degree is better. Just make sure you get experience and some certs prior to graduating.

whats the top 10 IT program?

This is the program | Business Information Technology | Pamplin College of Business | Virginia Tech
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    if you can afford a higlhy ranked Computer Science school, then go for it. There are now a 5 yrs programs where u can do BSc/MSc program in one shot. Go for it, big companies appreciates this kind of education and it'll pay off (specially in the long run).

I'm staying in state and Virginia Tech has the best CS program I've seen. Problem is it has more math classes than engineering programs at the school.... Realistically I think it's too much for me, why I'd pick the CS program at the lesser school, it has a lot of math (Calculus 1-2, Linear alg,etc.) but not the insane math and physics classes that VTech requires. The lesser school also offers that 5 year program.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I agree with above the CS Degree is worthless if you are going to be doing mostly techy work for your career, but if one day you decide you want to design OSPFv20 or the next version of JUNOS the CS degree will pay off better due to the fact that you had a heavy programming and math based college experience. You can always get other IT jobs with no degree you can't do the above jobs without.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    This is the program | Business Information Technology | Pamplin College of Business | Virginia Tech

I'm staying in state and Virginia Tech has the best CS program I've seen. Problem is it has more math classes than engineering programs at the school.... Realistically I think it's too much for me, why I'd pick the CS program at the lesser school, it has a lot of math (Calculus 1-2, Linear alg,etc.) but not the insane math and physics classes that VTech requires. The lesser school also offers that 5 year program.

Um no question there go to Virgina Tech all the way

LETS GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    Is the program as good as they say it is?
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Um no question there go to Virgina Tech all the way

LETS GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif

We have an employee who graduated from VTECH and is amazing. The amount of knowledge this guy has is reDONKULUS.

Funny thing is he doesn't have one certification. I asked him one time would he ever consider getting one and he answered why.

Never asked again
    N2IT wrote: »
    We have an employee who graduated from VTECH and is amazing. The amount of knowledge this guy has is reDONKULUS.

Funny thing is he doesn't have one certification. I asked him one time would he ever consider getting one and he answered why.

Never asked again

That's cool. Was he from the BIT program?

This decision is extremely difficult to make and i've been debating it for months. Honestly just wish I could come to a conclusion.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's cool. Was he from the BIT program?

This decision is extremely difficult to make and i've been debating it for months. Honestly just wish I could come to a conclusion.

I'll ask him today.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    What was the other school you where thinking about? I am from VA obviously and a VT alumni, I can tell VT is an awesome school to attend I had way to much fun.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    What was the other school you where thinking about? I am from VA obviously and a VT alumni, I can tell VT is an awesome school to attend I had way to much fun.

Old Dominion University

Where pretty much 90% of the locals go
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Computer Science has been a diminishing degree in the past few years. Unless you are going to be a details oriented programmer for operating systems or major systems like database management systems (the system itself, not a program that accesses one), I just don't know what kind of real value you will get out of it. For most IT people, CS isn't worthwhile.

I wonder if I too could make bold claims with no evidence to support my argument. Lets try: Thomas Jefferson, born in 1926, invented the mechanical pulley, defeated the Spanish Armada, and gave birth to Oprah...

...in the same day.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    I agree with above the CS Degree is worthless if you are going to be doing mostly techy work for your career, but if one day you decide you want to design OSPFv20 or the next version of JUNOS the CS degree will pay off better due to the fact that you had a heavy programming and math based college experience. You can always get other IT jobs with no degree you can't do the above jobs without.

A brain aneurysm in paragraph form.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.