TFTP Server

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey guys,

I need a quasi permante TFTP server for a client. There is some elbow room their ESX server. I was just going to toss Ubuntu Server x32 bit edition on there and configure it for TFTP etc. But I imagine there are distros that use even less in ram. Thoughts? Input?

It needs to install, and sit there for 6 months.
-Daniel

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    installing a Debian Standard System and then installing only the packages you need to get tftp up and running is about as small as it gets in terms of memory/disk footprint, unless you're going to cobble together your own distribution
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What Forsaken said. It is overkill to have a full Ubuntu install just to use it for TFTP.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't think Puppy or DSL are worth considering?
    -Daniel
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    last time I checked, all debian needed was 64 megs and 1 gig as a minimal install. If it won't run on 64, then I know for sure it'll run on 128... my local DNS server is a debian VM with only 128megs allocated for it and it's fine. Debian has a reputation for stability and after you install all you need to do is type apt-get install openssh-server tftpd-hpa and then configure it and you're good to go (I assume you want to be able to manage the machine through ssh). Since you said this is going on an ESX server and it's going to stay up, no, I wouldn't bother with puppy or DSL unless your memory usage requirements are even more strict. Their man selling point for me has always been their portability, but you're not looking to walk around and boot up random machines, you just need something to sit on the network and serve up files, and for that, I'll trust debian every single time