Network architect position

MiscMisc Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
So i have an interview for a network architect position and i passed the first interview which was basically a screening and now i have a 2nd interview i have to pass. i was informed i was going to be asked technical CCNA questions regarding layer 1-3 of the OSI.

i don't have any certs and my networking knowledge is very rusty so i will be studying my CCNA book as much as possible before the interview.

what are things that i should know for certain regarding layer 1-3 from a CCNA perspective? they will have the program manager along with the lead engineer and another engineer there to ask me the questions. ive been just been skimming thru my old 2005 CCNA book and some things are coming back to me but i would like to know what i should really know in detail.

my background
is mostly in IT project management and im trying to break into the technical side of things since that is what i went to school for. i have my AAS in computer networking but i havent really used half of what i learned in my career. suprisingly i was the top candidate for the position because of my extensive knowledge of processes and procedures of the government agency that this position is under.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just review what you can and play to your strengths. A lot of what they will be testing you on they may already know you're rusty on prior to the interview. Just be yourself and act interested and you should be fine. Good luck.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Misc wrote: »
    So i have an interview for a network architect position and i passed the first interview which was basically a screening and now i have a 2nd interview i have to pass. i was informed i was going to be asked technical CCNA questions regarding layer 1-3 of the OSI.

i don't have any certs and my networking knowledge is very rusty so i will be studying my CCNA book as much as possible before the interview.

what are things that i should know for certain regarding layer 1-3 from a CCNA perspective? they will have the program manager along with the lead engineer and another engineer there to ask me the questions. ive been just been skimming thru my old 2005 CCNA book and some things are coming back to me but i would like to know what i should really know in detail.

my background
    is mostly in IT project management and im trying to break into the technical side of things since that is what i went to school for. i have my AAS in computer networking but i havent really used half of what i learned in my career. suprisingly i was the top candidate for the position because of my extensive knowledge of processes and procedures of the government agency that this position is under.

You are kidding right.... You are applying for a network architect position with no network experience.. As the network architect you will be tasked with desigining the network and being the go to guy, when senior level guys can't resolve or need mentoriing. In other words they will expect you to be a subject matter expert.. You are in over your head....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    miller811 wrote: »
    You are kidding right.... You are applying for a network architect position with no network experience.. As the network architect you will be tasked with desigining the network and being the go to guy, when senior level guys can't resolve or need mentoriing. In other words they will expect you to be a subject matter expert.. You are in over your head....

Could be just a title or part of a team where he will be trained. I've seen businesses value business and collaboration skills over pure technical skill with the intent to train the technical side later.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yea something smells fishy. I would imagine that some with architect in their title would have a very, very high level of knowledge.
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    It's tough to say what topics they may ask. I would simply try to study layers 1-3 until you understand them as well as you can. I would be completely honest with them about your knowledge being rusty. I'd explain how dedicated you are about getting back into the technical side. That you'd be willing to brush back up or do further training. Trying to fudge your way through wouldn't be wise. Chances are you'd be dropped in the deep end with high expectations or assumed knowledge.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • MiscMisc Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□

No i am not kidding..... and if i was in over my head why would i even be considered for the job? the first interview i told the guy straight up what i knew and he still wants me to go to the next interview (he is the lead Engineer). i bring alot more to the table than just someone that is very technical. you know very little about the position other than the title so please stop making assumptions.
    MosGuy wrote: »
    It's tough to say what topics they may ask. I would simply try to study layers 1-3 until you understand them as well as you can. I would be completely honest with them about your knowledge being rusty. I'd explain how dedicated you are about getting back into the technical side. That you'd be willing to brush back up or do further training. Trying to fudge your way through wouldn't be wise. Chances are you'd be dropped in the deep end with high expectations or assumed knowledge.

yeah i was honest about my knowledge in the first interview. he told me to study my CCNA book for the second one. they already know what my skills are esp since almost all my exp is in IT project management. 2 yrs of it was doing PM work with LAN and WAN eqpuipwmnt but it is very simple networking (circuits, switches, routers, cabling, etc.) it was all hardware related though. I wouldnt put myself in that situation cause then i would just be setting myself up for failure.
    shednik wrote: »
    Could be just a title or part of a team where he will be trained. I've seen businesses value business and collaboration skills over pure technical skill with the intent to train the technical side later.

your right. what i know about this gov agency and the way it operates and all the processes and procedures needed to gets things done cant be learned at a school or in books. you can only gain this knowledge by working for them and i have moved around within the agency a few times so i know very well on how to do many things that even some people that's been there for a long ass time have no clue how to do.

i came for advice and i find myself defending myself...... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□

I would suggest you understand thoroughly Spanning-Tree, VTP, Access-list, Routing protocols (EIGRP/OSPF/BGP to name a few), Vlans, Port-security, I mean the list goes on.
    i came for advice and i find myself defending myself...... icon_rolleyes.gif

I think most people (myself included) believe you are asking too broad of a question. The rhetoric that you're receiving is because these topics people usually takes months (if not years) to learn/master and you're wanting to do a "fly-by" review in a few days. You shouldn't take offense... we're here to help, but we must also be honest.

I too work for the government and I've seen some of the guys they hire... honestly, some of these folks wouldn't last a month in a private sector IT job. I'm not saying this is you... but be very careful that you're not getting into a job that is above your skill level and things go sour and you're no longer able to feed your family! Good luck and best wishes to you. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    I would suggest you understand thoroughly Spanning-Tree, VTP, Access-list, Routing protocols (EIGRP/OSPF/BGP to name a few), Vlans, Port-security, I mean the list goes on.

I think most people (myself included) believe you are asking too broad of a question. The rhetoric that you're receiving is because these topics people usually takes months (if not years) to learn/master and you're wanting to do a "fly-by" review in a few days. You shouldn't take offense... we're here to help, but we must also be honest.

I too work for the government and I've seen some of the guys they hire... honestly, some of these folks wouldn't last a month in a private sector IT job. I'm not saying this is you... but be very careful that you're not getting into a job that is above your skill level and things go sour and you're no longer able to feed your family! Good luck and best wishes to you. HTH.

-Peanut

Thanks Peanut. yes i will admit that i probably wouldn't be able to obtain a network architect position in the private sector but ives seen alot of positions within the gov where your doing something alot different than what you would think it is based off the title. i wont be designing networks. i was told i was not very hands on and its alot of reasearch and testing for new networking equipment and how to integrate it into the agency.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Appearing confident is almost as important as being honest, but you seem to have that down. If you are serious about getting this job, tell them you are actively pursuing your CCNA and plan on taking the exam by (for example) February.

Miller didn't mean it as a personal attack, he's just being honest. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and just say I don't know, but I know how to reference the question you are asking. There is no such thing in I.T. as learning for a few years then being DONE permanently with your studies. You will spend your entire career learning about new advancements in the field. icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    what i know about this gov agency
    Oh -- that explains it.

The only two places I could think of that would use a a CCNA (or a pre-CCNA) as a Network Architect would be a consulting company (where billable hours are king and your 5-10 years learning to be a Network Architect would be billable); or a Government position (either as a billable contractor or government employee where your skill level would maximize the contractor billable hours).

You've been honest about your skills -- so do the best you can and don't worry about it if you get the job.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!