Logitech speakers

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Had a rubbish day made an easy mistake and it cost me £40 to replace my 5.1 Logitech X-530 speakers

The front right speaker connects to the bass unit using a D-Sub connection which is only 1.5 Metres or so, not ideal so I connected it to an extension cable so I could have the bass unit a couple more metres away from this front right speaker, doing this put my speakers into an early grave as my google searches now find that it has to be a certain pin orientation

Wouldn't you think a company like Logitech and all there wisdom would either make a standard VGA extension work with there speakers or make it a be-spoke connection

Has anyone heard of this problem

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Lee H wrote: »
    Hi

Had a rubbish day made an easy mistake and it cost me £40 to replace my 5.1 Logitech X-530 speakers

The front right speaker connects to the bass unit using a D-Sub connection which is only 1.5 Metres or so, not ideal so I connected it to an extension cable so I could have the bass unit a couple more metres away from this front right speaker, doing this put my speakers into an early grave as my google searches now find that it has to be a certain pin orientation

Wouldn't you think a company like Logitech and all there wisdom would either make a standard VGA extension work with there speakers or make it a be-spoke connection

Has anyone heard of this problem

I've seen plenty of D-type cables, and yes there are specific VGA cables (or xga, svga, etc..) are typically marked as such as they are intended for GC cards and a video output.

I wouldn't blame Logitech on this one though since you opted to modify the original setup. Generally, it is a good practice to review the mfg's material before plugging things in and seeing what they recommend. Once you see that their recommended cable is 'x' then you may shop around for the best price. Otherwise, simply using a cable that 'looks' like it will work tends to be a costly error. Though, I bet you won't be doing it again ;)

Logitech has a pretty extensive FAQ and easily accessible manuals (which sounds like you figured that out after-the-fact).

Sorry for your troubles.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Well no. A VGA extension cable is meant to be used for VGA. Its not their fault you decided to plug it into your speakers. The reason why it blew is because the cable doesn't have 15 wires from each pin in one end to the other end. VGA has several ground wires and you can connect them all together and just use a single wire for that. The shielding on the wires won't be correct for anything other than VGA as well.

This is a simplified diagram and doesn't show the DDC wires as they're just listed as NC.
    vga_pinout.jpg
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Thanks for the "I told you so" response, lol

I am 100% to blame I wasn't saying I wasn't, is that gooder English what school did I went

Anyway, lesson learnt, £40 lesson that is

I also read in a post somewhere that they regulary have to replace a fuse in the bass speakers because it loses power, well when I have my old ones plugged in it still gets power as I see a small green light on the front right speaker, still though it may be worth looking at that cos then I can put my old ones in another room
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Anyway, lesson learnt, £40 lesson that is
    Afraid so. At least it is "only" £40 as you could have made much more expensive or dangerous mistakes :)
    I also read in a post somewhere that they regulary have to replace a fuse in the bass speakers because it loses power, well when I have my old ones plugged in it still gets power as I see a small green light on the front right speaker, still though it may be worth looking at that cos then I can put my old ones in another room
    From what I can tell, it blows a fuse and possibly other parts depending on your particular situation. The issue is that you end up shorting out something because of the odd wiring of a VGA extension cable.