Rommon Problem! Please help guys :)...

cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
Hello eveybody. I'm faced with a problem that I really got no clue on how to solve it. So the problem is I bought a 1760, upgraded it's IOS and erased the startup config smoothly, I did restart the router and it gave me this eror :

"open: file "c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin" not found, loadprog: error - on file open, boot: cannot load "flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-
mz.123-12e.bin" and then keeps on rebooting and generating the same error...

I figured out that the router was configured with the Boot System
Command, or from Rommon with the Boot Flash: Command... I issued from rommon the Boot Flash:IOS Installed Command and the router loaded the IOS succefully and everything was fine, until I reloaded the router and it gave me this same error again.

Does that mean that my Boot Flash: Command wasn't saved? What can I do to make it, always, load my IOS and not search for the old one, or parmenantly load the first IOS in flash as it's Cisco Default? I even changed the configuration register from rommon to 0x2102. I'm really short on those commands from rommon... Any clue guys? Thanks in advance :).

Here is my router's boot commands:

set
PS1=rommon ! >
WARM_REBOOT=FALSE
BOOT=flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin,12;tftp://169.180.188.12/ios/c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-
12e.bin,12;tftp://169.180.202.10/ios/c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin,12;,1;
SAVE_2_RTS=19:02:22 UTC Tue Feb 6 2007
?=0
RANDOM_NUM=372995628
BSI=0
ROM_PERSISTENT_UTC=1014948015
RET_2_RTS
RET_2_RCALTS=
rommon 2 >

Comments

• CingularCingular Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm, did you check to see if you had enough free space in your routers flash to store the IOS image? Could be a dodgey IOS file?

In any case, you will want/need to perform a restore of your old IOS (that you backed up right?) using the TFTPDNLD command.

I think you may also need to use the 'confreg' command before you do the reset, set the config reg to 2102.

Been a while since I fudged my 2611 with a corrupted IOS...but if you can't fix it, you don't deserve to have it! :D

Good luck on the restore.
    cissp, pcnse, ccnp, ccnp security, nse4
    ---

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff 

• cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    Thanks for the reply Cingular, but I don't think you fully got my problem but it's not your fault, it's mine because I didn't explain it well...

The router had "c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e" before the upgrade, then I upgraded it to "c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T10". After I reloaded the router it gave the formentioned error ""open: file "c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin" not found, loadprog: error - on file open, boot: cannot load "flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin". So that means that the router was configured with the:

Boot Flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin, or the Boot System flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin command if I'm correct.

From rommon, I issued the Set command and it gave this output:

set
    PS1=rommon ! >
    WARM_REBOOT=FALSE
    BOOT=flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin,12;tftp://169.180.188.12/ios/c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-
    12e.bin,12;tftp://169.180.202.10/ios/c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin,12;,1;
    SAVE_2_RTS=19:02:22 UTC Tue Feb 6 2007
    ?=0
    RANDOM_NUM=372995628
    BSI=0
    ROM_PERSISTENT_UTC=1014948015
    RET_2_RTS
    RET_2_RCALTS=
    rommon 2 >

We can see that boot flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin is set even for TFTP as well.

I set it, from rommon still, to boot Flash:c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T10.bin, confreg 0x2102 and the router booted successfully with the 12.4 IOS, I reloaded the router and here was the shock again, it gave the same error looking for the 12.3 IOS "open: file "c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin" not found, loadprog: error - on file open, boot: cannot load "flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.123-12e.bin" and then kept on rebooting and generating the same error until I fix it with the same command, but the remedy is gone with a simple reboot.

Now the question is
    1- Why my configuration wasn't saved for the Boot flash:"12.4IOS"?
    2- How the boot flash:"12.3IOS" was permanent and presistent?
    3- What I can do to revert the router to it's default logic to search for the first IOS found in flash and not for a specific filename?

Cingular wrote: »
    Hmmm, did you check to see if you had enough free space in your routers flash to store the IOS image? Could be a dodgey IOS file?

I do have 64MB of flash memory.
    I think you may also need to use the 'confreg' command before you do the reset, set the config reg to 2102.

It is set.
    Been a while since I fudged my 2611 with a corrupted IOS...but if you can't fix it, you don't deserve to have it!

Indeed bro, but we corrupt to learn...
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In ROMmon:
    First thing I would do is a
    dir flash:

and see if your IOS is properly stored in the router. If it is NOT, redownload another one. If it IS, then I would try the
    boot flash

command and specify the IOS as your target.

Once it starts up with the new IOS, I would then specify the IOS in the running config to boot from with a
    boot system flash

command specifiying the IOS in flash. This should force the router to boot from that IOS in the future reguardless of where it is located in the flash.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    Thanks for the help Chmorin... Dir flash: showed that the IOS is installed properly and is in flash memory. But what's confusing is that, isn't it the boot system flash:IOS-Filename command will be saved in the Startup-config? Wouldn't that mean that if I erased the startup-config I'll be facing the same problem again? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Or do you think it would be better to Erase NVRAM? Thanks in advance guys.
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    The boot command would be stored in ROM not in the startup config file.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can either clear the BOOT environment variable in ROMMON and let the config register options take effect (boot first IOS found on flash, etc) -- or you can put the correct BOOT environment variable pointing to the correct IOS flash file name (like you did manually, but didn't save).

But either way you need to save the ROMMON environment variables using the sync command.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You can either clear the BOOT environment variable in ROMMON and let the config register options take effect (boot first IOS found on flash, etc) -- or you can put the correct BOOT environment variable pointing to the correct IOS flash file name (like you did manually, but didn't save).

But either way you need to save the ROMMON environment variables using the sync command.

This is exaclty what I'm looking for Mike... Is there any Cisco docs that shows how to hack arround these stuff? Clear, modify, save, sync the boot environment variables from rommon, and possibly from IOS? I know it would be different for various platform... I'm quite short on those things... Thanks in advance :).