Hp DL380 G7s

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Anyone got a dl380 g7 at the moment with high memory configuration?

I am setting up Vmware ESXi on two boxes, but the pre HP splash screen boot is stupidly slow (annoyingly slow).

Firmware is all up to date, I even did a BIOS update that wasn't on the 9.20 firmware DVD. Maybe my expectations are too high. Each server does have 24GB of RAM in it Dual Xeon. I put the memory in configured as should be according to HP docs, spread accross CPU's populating white DIMM slots first.
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have not specifically with the DL380 but with the DL360 which is basically the same. I have two with 72GB of RAM. I haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary but this is in comparison to the other G7s. I will tell you the HP splash screen has increased in boot time over the G6. Have you compared booting with a lower amount of RAM?
    Pash wrote: »

I am setting up Vmware ESXi on two boxes, but the pre HP splash screen boot is stupidly slow (annoyingly slow).

Firmware is all up to date, I even did a BIOS update that wasn't on the 9.20 firmware DVD. Maybe my expectations are too high. Each server does have 24GB of RAM in it Dual Xeon. I put the memory in configured as should be according to HP docs, spread accross CPU's populating white DIMM slots first.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Starke wrote: »
    I have not specifically with the DL380 but with the DL360 which is basically the same. I have two with 72GB of RAM. I haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary but this is in comparison to the other G7s. I will tell you the HP splash screen has increased in boot time over the G6. Have you compared booting with a lower amount of RAM?

I am talking about 3-4 minutes before we see the HP splash screen. Does that sound about right?

I havent tried lower memory configuration to be fair, however they are now rack mounted. So it will be tough to sort that out icon_sad.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am talking about 3-4 minutes before we see the HP splash screen. Does that sound about right?

I havent tried lower memory configuration to be fair, however they are now rack mounted. So it will be tough to sort that out icon_sad.gif

We have a few DL-580 G5's that display the same characteristics at work. They have 4x6-Core processors and approx 64GB RAM. They take FOREVER to give the HP Splash screen (3-4 minutes). I realize that we're talking about different Models/Generations. However, perhaps it's most/all DL series servers that do this?
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We ordered a DL380 G7 to replace a DL380 G6 but we are not running a high memory configuration. It's been a while since I've had to endure a reboot on it, but I can say it is considerably longer than the G6 to make it through the initial post process - several minutes. The first time I had to boot a G7 I was beginning to think we received a defective server.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As always, thanks fellas!
  • StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the slow response, yes I think that's normal.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We experience the same type of issues with Dell R810's with 2x6-core procs and 128GB of RAM
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Each server does have 24GB of RAM in it Dual Xeon.
    Thats exactly what we have, and it screams. I had a HD go out but no other problems at all.