Please evaluate my 2nd interview.

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
So.......

I went in for my 2nd interview today. This time it was to show me around the plant, and how the business ran (manufacturing), and the IT infrastructure. They brought me into the server room and showed me the SQL farm the SAN and all the other blades servers. I was a bit overwhelmed this time. I've been in data centers before, but this time it felt like I would actually be doing work in one, and that comment was made. Anyway I was wondering if you have ever been in this situation before?

I have helpdesk and deskside support experience and networking experiencing from a troubleshooting standpoint, but now it seems I have the potential to move into a system admin type position. I'll be doing packaging and deployments, I've only done deployments before but never to a whole OU or a mass enterprise. I know I am over thinking this thing, but I just wanted to console the more experienced guys.

I even mentioned to the director of IT I didn't have much server experience and he said "who cares you could learn it". That was encouraging, I assured him I could do some networking and deskside support.

I am a pretty personable guy and have landed several jobs on that sole virtue. I am thinking they are more concerned about liking the individual than the technical ability. Is this common place? I have been asked very little technical questions yet they are showing me all these goodies I will get to play with.

Opinions? Sorry for the rant I am at a loss of thought lol. I feel very fortuntant to have an potential opportunity like this. I am almost giddy.

Comments

• forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    In my experience, it's a very common situation to be hired for your personality than for your technical skills. Learning how to be a sysadmin is much easier and quicker than learning how to treat customers with respect if you can't do it already. Thus, they hire people with great personalities and let them learn the technical stuff. I think you're in a good position, as they like you.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    forkvoid wrote: »
    In my experience, it's a very common situation to be hired for your personality than for your technical skills. Learning how to be a sysadmin is much easier and quicker than learning how to treat customers with respect if you can't do it already. Thus, they hire people with great personalities and let them learn the technical stuff. I think you're in a good position, as they like you.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to reply. 50+ views and YOU replied. Thanks!
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I even mentioned to the director of IT I didn't have much server experience and he said "who cares you could learn it".

In absence of other evidence, it's hard to not see this as a positive sign. Also, I agree strongly with him. There's nothing that any of us can't learn to do.
    I am thinking they are more concerned about liking the individual than the technical ability. Is this common place? I have been asked very little technical questions yet they are showing me all these goodies I will get to play with.

Yes. People like to hire people that they feel will be reliable, can be trusted, and that will fit into the organizational culture.

MS
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Also easier to hire a lesser experienced individual at a lower salary who is also likely to stay longer, as opposed to more experienced individuals that will demand higher pay and depending on the environment...get bored and leave sooner.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds good so far. Hope you got it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    1. If they are showing you around, then you are in the running for the position. Most companies won't show any Jack or Jill their plant, let alone their IT infrastructure.

2. As others have said, companies are more likely to hire someone they like and has the desire to learn and contribute vs someone who "knows it all".
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good sign dude. When should you hear something back?
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Goodluck. Hope you get the job!
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Congratulations man! I was in a similar situation, but they ended up finding someone with more experience. When do you expect to hear back from them?
    Thanks for all the experienced replies I really do appreciate it.

I should hear back late this week or early next week.

I am chomping at the bit to get some serious skills, not just service desk. The idea of managing GPO and all the other goodies that go with system adminstration really excites me. It sounds like I will start off doing mostly deskside support, but quickly get ramped up into their VoIP, Switches and Routers, and Servers fairly quickly. They do allocate time to testing new applications in their sandbox playground and also are anti knowledge silos. If I take a certain interest in something they are more than willing to show me how it's done. At least that is the vibe I get.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good luck, I hope you land the position. I actually have a 3rd interview with a company Dec 28, athe first 'in person' interview, and I am a bit nervous. This will be the 2nd in-person interview for me, LOL, the rest have been phone interviews.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    colemic wrote: »
    Good luck, I hope you land the position. I actually have a 3rd interview with a company Dec 28, athe first 'in person' interview, and I am a bit nervous. This will be the 2nd in-person interview for me, LOL, the rest have been phone interviews.

Good luck back at you!
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    In absence of other evidence, it's hard to not see this as a positive sign. Also, I agree strongly with him. There's nothing that any of us can't learn to do.

Yes. People like to hire people that they feel will be reliable, can be trusted, and that will fit into the organizational culture.

MS

This.

Some jobs are so competitive that a large percentage of the applications are capable of doing the job as far as technical skill goes. Because of this, the employer gets to take that pool, and chose the applicant who they think best fits in socially.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
    This.

Some jobs are so competitive that a large percentage of the applications are capable of doing the job as far as technical skill goes. Because of this, the employer gets to take that pool, and chose the applicant who they think best fits in socially.

And who they can pay less.
    N2IT, The bad rep you gave me was unfair and a sign of immaturity.

Not trying to be a downer, but realistic. Not all businesses operate on how great one's personality is. It's foolish to think that...especially when money is tight for many and tons of people will apply for 1 job.

If anything, it could serve as an advantage to someone looking to get their foot in the door somewhere. So if you get the job anyway and feel you can do it well.....so what! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT,

I only just now viewed this thread (my bad...). I definitely +1 on most of the responses you got thus far; it's a positive sign indeed that a IT director will tell you flat out that you can learn most of the sys admin stuff (which is 100% true...I too came from a service desk background, as many of us have). If you're getting shown around, they probably already have it in their mind that you're a good fit.

Got my fingers crossed and wish you the best of luck! icon_cool.gif
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I am thinking they are more concerned about liking the individual than the technical ability. Is this common place? I have been asked very little technical questions yet they are showing me all these goodies I will get to play with.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Anyone can learn this stuff. I can teach a monkey to manage servers & networks, but I will not and do not want to teach it people skills. When I am interviewing candidates, I interview the "person". Skills & technical experience isn't anywhere near the top of my list. Yes, they do help, but not as much as having a good attitude and personality.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Not trying to be a downer, but realistic. Not all businesses operate on how great one's personality is. It's foolish to think that...especially when money is tight for many and tons of people will apply for 1 job.

Steve, not long after I interviewed for my last position (where I'm at today), my boss told me one of the reasons I was hired was because she felt I'd fit into the organization well. Many of us (myself included) are type A personalities, so we have a tendency to clash at times (as in most organizations). But we end up coming to some agreement and all is well; it's what separates children from adults... :)

I'll tell you what though, there are hardly ANY companies/organizations that's going to hire Nick Burns, Your Company's Computer Guy. (I really hate that sketch like no other, and the days of that guy working in an IT shop are numbered if not flat out gone.) I would rather hire someone personable and train him/her myself on how to do the job I hired him/her to do than put up with a tech/admin that is representative of Nick Burns...and I don't care how GREAT of a tech/admin he (thinks he) is...if he's going to piss off users/colleagues, I wouldn't even bother.
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Steve, not long after I interviewed for my last position (where I'm at today), my boss told me one of the reasons I was hired was because she felt I'd fit into the organization well. Many of us (myself included) are type A personalities, so we have a tendency to clash at times (as in most organizations). But we end up coming to some agreement and all is well; it's what separates children from adults... :)

I'll tell you what though, there are hardly ANY companies/organizations that's going to hire Nick Burns, Your Company's Computer Guy. (I really hate that sketch like no other, and the days of that guy working in an IT shop are numbered if not flat out gone.) I would rather hire someone personable and train him/her myself on how to do the job I hired him/her to do than put up with a tech/admin that is representative of Nick Burns...and I don't care how GREAT of a tech/admin he (thinks he) is...if he's going to piss off users/colleagues, I wouldn't even bother.

Though what Steve says does hold some truth to it. It is very possible with the amount of applicants and low number of jobs that a company could like 5 personalities and still think to themselves which one could we pay the least. Now this is just a posibility...

Good luck N2IT. I hope you receive good news and get the job.
    N2IT, The bad rep you gave me was unfair and a sign of immaturity.

If anything, it could serve as an advantage to someone looking to get their foot in the door somewhere. So if you get the job anyway and feel you can do it well.....so what! icon_rolleyes.gif

I gave you good rep.

Infact I listed my name -N2IT and even thanked you in a follow up post.

Besides you were in the "red" before I gave you a positive vote. You might want to have your profile/account checked out. I was very appreciative of the reply. I would never neg someone for throwing the truth out, especially when I agree whole heartedly.

PS. I just gave you good rep AGAIN.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ther are a lot of drive by neggers here. Unless someone signs their name it's pointless to try and place blame. Try not being so negative and you may not get negged as much.
    As to anyone being able to be teached to administer servers it's probably true. If you come to your interview looking like you just came from a 3 day gaming marathon (no sleep, bath, etc.) you could have all the server exp in the world and they wont hire you. They want a person who can get along and fit in with the company and is willing and able to learn.

To N2it- if you've gotten to this point then you've probably got it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Ther are a lot of drive by neggers here. Unless someone signs their name it's pointless to try and place blame. Try not being so negative and you may not get negged as much.
    As to anyone being able to be teached to administer servers it's probably true. If you come to your interview looking like you just came from a 3 day gaming marathon (no sleep, bath, etc.) you could have all the server exp in the world and they wont hire you. They want a person who can get along and fit in with the company and is willing and able to learn.

To N2it- if you've gotten to this point then you've probably got it.

I really hope so. As much as I want to move on as a Service Desk manager I can't pass up the opportunity to learn routing, switching and servers. It is still to be determined what exactly the job role is, but I can say this much. He says my phone support will account for about 3 calls a week lol.

Infact he said, and this was without me asking, said that he would classify the position as Production Support. Definetly doesn't sound like service desk to me.
    citinerd wrote: »
    Though what Steve says does hold some truth to it. It is very possible with the amount of applicants and low number of jobs that a company could like 5 personalities and still think to themselves which one could we pay the least. Now this is just a posibility...

Good luck N2IT. I hope you receive good news and get the job.

Ok, and that and the cost of tea in China has to do with what, exactly? (I really like that line, blame my sister for that one...lol)

Of course it's about what they can pay the least and to whom...as long as it's a bit more than what your last job was (or about the same minus/plus a grand), if it works out for them and the applicant, then that's more than ok. If there are pay raises associated with the job, then after a couple of years, you come out ahead. Otherwise, you stay for 2-3 years and move on to the next gig.
    Ok, and that and the cost of tea in China has to do with what, exactly? (I really like that line, blame my sister for that one...lol)

Of course it's about what they can pay the least and to whom...as long as it's a bit more than what your last job was (or about the same minus/plus a grand), if it works out for them and the applicant, then that's more than ok. If there are pay raises associated with the job, then after a couple of years, you come out ahead. Otherwise, you stay for 2-3 years and move on to the next gig.

It would be around a 6 - 7k pay bump. The experience is what I am excited about and getting my hands on more technologies. Even if some are outdated, aka phones and the network is Novell, they use wise studio packager and they are going to some sweet brand new Cisco routers and switches. I believe the switch I saw was a Catalyst 2650. Plus they have a awesome brand new SAN storage device that actually host the data and the server access the data from the storage device for some of the servers. The SQL farm is on a Sun server rack and their are some HP proliants still in the environment.
    It would be around a 6 - 7k pay bump. The experience is what I am excited about and getting my hands on more technologies. Even if some are outdated, aka phones and the network is Novell, they use wise studio packager and they are going to some sweet brand new Cisco routers and switches. I believe the switch I saw was a Catalyst 2650. Plus they have a awesome brand new SAN storage device that actually host the data and the server access the data from the storage device for some of the servers. The SQL farm is on a Sun server rack and their are some HP proliants still in the environment.

You mean Nortel, right for phones? We're a Nortel shop too. (ALOT of folks are still on Nortel....VOIP just hasn't hit primetime everywhere, contrary to popular belief). Or did you actually mean they're on a Novell network?! (Wow!!)

Based on your last statement, is this shop trying to migrate away from a being a Wintel shop (what you mean "still"?)?

HP Proliants (depending on generation (g5, g6, g7 even... :) ) are very top notch servers. I'd rather have those than Poweredges any day.
    You mean Nortel, right for phones? We're a Nortel shop too. (ALOT of folks are still on Nortel....VOIP just hasn't hit primetime everywhere, contrary to popular belief). Or did you actually mean they're on a Novell network?! (Wow!!)

Based on your last statement, is this shop trying to migrate away from a being a Wintel shop (what you mean "still"?)?

HP Proliants (depending on generation (g5, g6, g7 even... :) ) are very top notch servers. I'd rather have those than Poweredges any day.

I know man tell me about it. What's a man looking for a sys admin job suppose to do LMAO
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    And who they can pay less.

True, in some cases.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
    Didn't get it.

Lost out to an internal hirer. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have another opportunity with my ex boss and a guy who I consider a friend. Hopefully things will work out with that. I would say there is a very good chance. I've been approved for an interview by their CIO so.......

I think things will happen for the best.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Didn't get it.

Lost out to an internal hirer. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have another opportunity with my ex boss and a guy who I consider a friend. Hopefully things will work out with that. I would say there is a very good chance. I've been approved for an interview by their CIO so.......

I think things will happen for the best.

That blows. Dust yourself off and don't let it get to you. Good luck on the next one.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Damn that sucks. Internal folks do get a favourable look from hiring managers. Hope you are luckier for the next interview.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com