Anyone get any new toys on Black Friday?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Didnt get out early, but did manage to snag a new laptop. Best of all, is the WiMax connection in it. I got the cheapest speed that Clear offered, and still getting better than published results. Granted, not a whole lot of people using their 4G service here, but it is still quicker than my dsl connection.

Speedtest.net (both to same server in Tx):

DSL - down 9.89/up 0.71/ping 171ms
WiMax - down 47.76/up 0.91/ping 252ms

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Picked up a new printer and a nook. Liking the nook so far but the wireless seemed to be a bit flaky yesterday. Was constantly having to restart the wireless after every few minutes of browsing.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Bokeh wrote: »
    DSL - down 9.89/up 0.71/ping 171ms
    WiMax - down 47.76/up 0.91/ping 252ms
    Nice speed but whats with your latency? 171ms is a tad high for DSL isn't it?
  • GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I picked up some good deals on newegg.com

A 2 port USB KVM switch, SATA and EIDE PCI card and a 7 port USB "powered" hub. Saved about $40 not including that all 3 items had "free shipping" Very happy. :)

I think I'll be getting some newegg gift certificates this xmas and hopefully I can snag some more good deals. They had some good prices on hard drives (both sata and SSD) as well as flash thumb drives.
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    Picked up a new printer and a nook. Liking the nook so far but the wireless seemed to be a bit flaky yesterday. Was constantly having to restart the wireless after every few minutes of browsing.

The Nooks are good, but they do not like the cloud. The gf has one, and left it in the car one morning at work, then took it out at lunch. Got down to 35, and it just plain wouldn't work. Complete hard lock. B&N replaced it though with no problem.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Picked up a 16-gun gun safe, but no techie toys.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I felt Newegg stunk. Who cares about hard drives when they are cheap all year round anyway? I didn't see what was great on the SSD side....unless you want yesteryear's technology. And anything involving mail-in-rebates is not a deal in my book either. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I felt Newegg stunk. Who cares about hard drives when they are cheap all year round anyway? I didn't see what was great on the SSD side....unless you want yesteryear's technology. And anything involving mail-in-rebates is not a deal in my book either. icon_rolleyes.gif

Newegg was a little weak this year. But I did pickup four Seagate 2TB for $70 each. Other places had them for the same price but I really like to support Newegg.

I also got my wife an HD Flip & a new camera.

Nothing Earth shattering!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I picked up a new router the Netgear WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit and it is amazing how much better it perfoms over my last router with HD streaming and online gaming which are my most demanding applications.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Picked up the high end Samsung Front-loading washer and dryer combo. They were nearly 50% off at Best Buy. Pretty sweet. I will be sad when I get rid of the good old set that is now 12 years old... I just replaced the wearing parts in the dryer a few months ago. See if I can get $100 for the set or something.

Save money on utilities and will be able to use the steaming feature in the washer to reduce bleach usage and the steaming feature in the dryer to dry clean less often.

Probably save $400 a year, mostly from dry cleaning expenses.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My boss actually bought me the new Kindle....... so I didn't really want anything on Black Friday. :D
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i really havent seen any killer cyber-monday ads yet

so no new toys
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I picked up a new router the Netgear WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit and it is amazing how much better it perfoms over my last router with HD streaming and online gaming which are my most demanding applications.

That is an awesome router. Been running it now for 7 months and not a single reboot.