Advice needed on doing a bachelors degree

jobyareajobyarea Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am interested to complete a undergraduate bachelors program in IT via
distance education from Qatar. Most of the universities I found only accept
US / Canada citizens. Are there any universities which consider transferring
credit from IT certifications.

Appreciate if anybody could recommend any good universities with low fees which accepts international applications as well.

Comments

• citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Did you look into Western Govenors University (WGU.edu)? I did not see anything restricting students from other countries (although I did not look very long). On the application for addmision it has the countries listed.

Not totally sure though maybe another member can confirm or deny.
  • jobyareajobyarea Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WGU accepts only US / Canada applications. Its mentioned on their site.
  • jobyareajobyarea Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    89 views and only 1 reply so far.....

Come on people.... do share if you have any info.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jobyarea wrote: »
    WGU accepts only US / Canada applications. Its mentioned on their site.
    I didn't realize that but checked the WGU site
    Will you admit students living outside the U.S.?
    At the present time, WGU is accepting applications only from individuals living in the United States and select geographical areas of Canada. (The exceptions are U.S. active-duty military personnel and their families at overseas installations and individuals living in Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)
    Unfortunately, we have discovered we cannot always guarantee that the educational experience for students living outside the United States will meet our high standards for quality and convenience. It is our expectation that these problems will be solved in future years. An Enrollment Counselor has more information about which areas are eligible to submit applications.

WGU is the only on-line university I know of that will accept certs for credit. There may be others.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DeVry has an International Student program and an online class option -- you'd have to check their website to see if there is the combined International Online option.

It is a for-profit institution and may be one of the schools mentioned in the recent Department of Education investigation (which actually happens every few years and really isn't anything new) of for-profit schools and their recruiting tactics (also known as lying through their teeth to convince students, even if they are unqualified, to take out student loans by promising the students fake jobs with huge salaries when they graduate so the recruiter can make their quota and earn their commission).

But if you don't mind paying a lot of money for a "US Degree" then it is possible to learn something from them if you're motivated and dedicated.

One company I worked for years ago had good luck hiring DeVry STUDENTS as technicians. As the current Techs graduated (or we picked up more work and needed more bodies) the current Techs would decide who'd they'd want to work with (and who would carry their share of the work load) and invite one of their classmates to apply for job with us.
    good universities with low fees which accepts international applications as well.
    Oh well -- one out of three may be the best you'd be able to do as an International Online student.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is RU Online Home Page

Roosevelt University in Chicago has been around for a while -- but I don't remember anyone from my High School graduating class who planned on going there. I think it targets/targeted the "Adult Learning" crowd and most of the students were adults who found the lack of advanced education was holding them back at work.

I did work with some people who did their Night School classes at Roosevelt and it did seem reasonable -- both in class content and cost. Part of the popularity may have been the fact they'd offer classes at remote branches near some of the "tech centers" around Chicago or on weekends -- so it was easy to get to classes after work or cram all your classes into one day (Saturday).

It looks like they have jumped on the Online Bandwagon -- and they do mention "Join students around the globe in engaging, interactive, and enriching learning experiences" on that web page link I posted -- so it could be an option.

I think my sister did a couple of Master's Degrees from Roosevelt -- but she's an over-educated unemployed idiot. But I think that's an issue with my sister and not Roosevelt. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    I am interested to complete a undergraduate bachelors program in IT via
    distance education from Qatar. Most of the universities I found only accept
    US / Canada citizens. Are there any universities which consider transferring
    credit from IT certifications.

Appreciate if anybody could recommend any good universities with low fees which accepts international applications as well.
    I'm currently enrolled in a Distance program from K-State . You should check it out. I'm not sure on the US applicants but they do have international students. Also another good school with international students is Fort Hays State University. Both K-State and FHSU are Kansas brick and mortar schools, not online schools but offer distance programs.

Anyone know where my rep went? lol.

Degrees & Certificates – K-State Division of Continuing Education

Virtual College