Another Resume Critique Thread

Hey guys, having gotten my A+ recently, i think it's time to put myself out there on the market. There are still some formatting issues to deal with in this outline, but i was also thinking of using a new template.

i liked one i saw while browsing resume critiques on this forum. it is the doc labeled new format.

my current resume is labeled anon res.

a question i have is

should i include my HS? it is/was a top 3 high school in my city and is known by EVERYONE. i was also in the chess club which i think looks good.

don't hold back please. only way to improve is to recognize the problem at hand.

thanks
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I prefer to put more detail in experience, and less on skills. As "skills" can mean just about anything, whereas your previous experience is going to the the most focused on portion of the resume. Try and integrate them more with your previous jobs.

I saw this resume once where the kid literally put a bunch of IT acronyms in his skills list.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I prefer to put more detail in experience, and less on skills. As "skills" can mean just about anything, whereas your previous experience is going to the the most focused on portion of the resume. Try and integrate them more with your previous jobs.

I saw this resume once where the kid literally put a bunch of IT acronyms in his skills list.

thing is, i don't have much experience professionally in IT. sure, i have a lot of experience doing my own things, but that doesn't really count for anything.
    i currently volunteer at a hospital and although it IS good experience, it wouldn't make sense for me to list every problem that i've resolved. which is why i have summarized into bullet points a general idea of what i do there.
    i've also added a change to the IS volunteer part.

[] Image new Dell PCs with Windows XP and deploy them to replace current Windows 2000 PCs (changed the first sentence)

[] Configure printers to be used locally or on a network (added)

more thoughts?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Until you have more meat in your resume keep it simple.
    First off you need to keep it to 1 page unless you have enough REAL stuff to fill 2 or more. No partial pages. Probably drop the summary, definitely don't mention certs you're working on. You can mention inprogress certs in the cover letter or during an interview.
    You should keep the education simple, no extracurricular or group stuff and since you've gone to college leave off the high school. Just list School degree and major.
    By leaving off those few things and maybe reformatting your header (name not so big) you should be able to get it on one page.
    You should probably change "explainer" to something that sounds better. Could you have been classified as an Exhibit guide or something like that, explainer sounds like you had no title and put no effort into putting one in that space.

Looks like you've got a good start by doing the volunteer IT work as that's one of the avenues to get into IT now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Until you have more meat in your resume keep it simple.
    First off you need to keep it to 1 page unless you have enough REAL stuff to fill 2 or more. No partial pages. Probably drop the summary, definitely don't mention certs you're working on. You can mention inprogress certs in the cover letter or during an interview.
    You should keep the education simple, no extracurricular or group stuff and since you've gone to college leave off the high school. Just list School degree and major.
    By leaving off those few things and maybe reformatting your header (name not so big) you should be able to get it on one page.
    You should probably change "explainer" to something that sounds better. Could you have been classified as an Exhibit guide or something like that, explainer sounds like you had no title and put no effort into putting one in that space.

Looks like you've got a good start by doing the volunteer IT work as that's one of the avenues to get into IT now.
    will take note of everything you said. about the explainer part, that is literally the title of the job. so not sure i can really change that. i will definitely put everything to one page after all is said and done.

thanks and more input would be grateful!
    thing is, i don't have much experience professionally in IT. sure, i have a lot of experience doing my own things, but that doesn't really count for anything.
    i currently volunteer at a hospital and although it IS good experience, it wouldn't make sense for me to list every problem that i've resolved. which is why i have summarized into bullet points a general idea of what i do there.
    i've also added a change to the IS volunteer part.

[] Image new Dell PCs with Windows XP and deploy them to replace current Windows 2000 PCs (changed the first sentence)

[] Configure printers to be used locally or on a network (added)

more thoughts?

Didn't tell you to list every problem you resolved. I said to integrate your skills with whatever your responsibilities are.

Curious, how did you get into a volunteer position anyway? That's a rarity. Kudos to you.
    Sorry about the explainer comment then. I figured you could have insisted on a title like guide or something but if that was your title leave it on there.
    Good changes you made expanding on the experience bullet points. Having limited experience I'd probably leave the skills section. After you're at your volunteer position you'll have more stuff to fill in. Keep a log of some type of things you do that you can list on the resume.
    Also if you post it on career builder and/or Monster keep it updated. recruiters and temp agencies look at "fresh" resumes more often (not sure how they know they're fresh). I've gotten a couple short term projects and a lot of phone/in-person interviews through monster and careerbuilder. Also keep a watch on your local Craigs list for jobs.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Didn't tell you to list every problem you resolved. I said to integrate your skills with whatever your responsibilities are.

Curious, how did you get into a volunteer position anyway? That's a rarity. Kudos to you.
    changed the first sentence yet again to integrate skills ;)
    [] Image new Dell PCs with Windows XP using Symantec Ghost and deploy them to replace current Windows 2000 PCs

i had to apply to the volunteering department of the hospital. took some time, but they called me back. i volunteer 3-4 days a week from 9-4:30 and help out the staff with whatever they need. whether it be PC moves/setups to minor/intermediate tickets.
    earweed wrote: »
    Sorry about the explainer comment then. I figured you could have insisted on a title like guide or something but if that was your title leave it on there.
    Good changes you made expanding on the experience bullet points. Having limited experience I'd probably leave the skills section. After you're at your volunteer position you'll have more stuff to fill in. Keep a log of some type of things you do that you can list on the resume.
    Also if you post it on career builder and/or Monster keep it updated. recruiters and temp agencies look at "fresh" resumes more often (not sure how they know they're fresh). I've gotten a couple short term projects and a lot of phone/in-person interviews through monster and careerbuilder. Also keep a watch on your local Craigs list for jobs.
    "by leave the skills section", you mean to keep it on yes?

and i will post it on jobsites as soon as it is techexams approved icon_thumright.gif

also wanted more thoughts on the general layout/format of the resume. is the font size/font good or should i change it? ( the sticky says to stick to arial or times)

more criticism is appreciated as always. =]
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I like that second format you posted. May have to appropriate that one for myself.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    I like the second resume layout too but think that to have that elaborate a format you better be showing some stuff to make it not just look like a showcase for a noob. If you have a lot of experience to showcase then that format would be good.
    yea, thats why i won't be using it. YET.

how is my current format though? as u suggested earweed, to take out the summary part. then certifications would be on top. this is fine?

suggest a good layout if u guys know one as it will be appreciated. =]
    The format and all looks fine but try to get rid of some of the white space and make adjustments to get it down to 1 full page. There is too much space at the top above the name, toomuch space between certifications and experience. Since you are kind of new to IT you can probably get by leaving the Certification at the top since most entry level gigs only ask for that (and it's not usually required but a plus) Those changes should probably get you down to just the 1 full page. A good rule of thumb : if you don't have enough to fill 2 pages, just use 1.
    Like me and SteveLord said the volunteer gig is probably your best bet to get a helpdesk or better yet a desktop/ deskside support job. Experience trumps certs in IT so do your best to get as much exposure to anything they'll let you help out with and document it on the resume.
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the template and yes....1 page does the trick. ;)
    Everything has been dually noted and after a few more critiques, i will present to TE a new and improved resume hopefully by tomorrow. =D

thanks to all again and please continue to destroy my resume. ;)
    I present to TechExams the new and (hopefully) improved resume. With your blessing, i shall begin the job hunt as well as let the jobs hunt for me.icon_twisted.gif
    what you guys think of the new resume?
    Apparently it is working as i've already been contacted by a recruiter for a help desk technician job at Technisource.

Here is the e-mail that i have received.

- In this position, you will troubleshoot Level 2 Technical Support calls from Optimum Online and Optimum Voice customers who are using the supported software/hardware.

- This is done providing the highest quality customer service.

- Troubleshooting requires guiding and educating customers through established troubleshooting procedures.

Minimum qualifications include:

Complex knowledge of various Microsoft and Apple/MAC Operating Systems (including but not limited to DOS, 98, 2000, XP, OS 8.x, OS 9.x, OSX) as well as Internet communications, and protocols.
    Must also possess a working knowledge of PC/MAC hardware and software.
    Ability to guide customers through established troubleshooting procedures to identify and resolve technical problems.
    Must have a good understanding of current quality system, departmental processes/procedures as well as the Cablevision network (i.e. DHCP, TFTP, Mail Servers, etc.).
    Ability to use multiple systems simultaneously including but not limited to trouble ticket databases, customer databases, troubleshoot software, etc. to record data and create notations in customers account records.
    Should have demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following specialties: Network (RF Troubleshooting, email, DHCP Server, routers), Systems (Hardware, Software, Operating Systems, New Technology) and Communications.
    MCSE, MCP, A+ and other certifications are helpful.

Seems like a call center type of job, but it would be good experience.

Has anyone had any experience or have heard anything about Technisource?
    Technisource is a staffing firm or headhunter as I like to call them. There are lots of these companies in IT and healthcare.

Technisource, Teksystems, Robert Half, etc. You'll see them flooding top sites like Monster and Careerbuilder. They will grab anybody and everybody and often offer contract positions ranging anywhere from 3-12 months usually.
    Technisource is a staffing firm or headhunter as I like to call them. There are lots of these companies in IT and healthcare.

Technisource, Teksystems, Robert Half, etc. You'll see them flooding top sites like Monster and Careerbuilder. They will grab anybody and everybody and often offer contract positions ranging anywhere from 3-12 months usually.
    you think this is a good job opportunity for a guy relatively starting out in IT?
    I would think for a guy in NYC, there would be LOTS of alternatives. Especially the kind that can expose you to more than just being another hated tech for the cable company.
    Working for a headhunter would not be my first choice unless I was desperate. Just my opinion. ;)

Craigslist alone for a major city like that is full of jobs. NYC literally has just about anything.
    I would think for a guy in NYC, there would be LOTS of alternatives. Especially the kind that can expose you to more than just being another hated tech for the cable company.
    Working for a headhunter would not be my first choice unless I was desperate. Just my opinion. ;)

Craigslist alone for a major city like that is full of jobs. NYC literally has just about anything.
    thanks. will keep in mind
    got a reply for a job that i applied for. this job is an evening shift IT support position.

here is the description:
    Description: This is a Contract-to-Hire opportunity working evening shift, 5pm to 1am. For the first few months the schedule will be 6 days a week (Monday – Saturday), so all candidates must be willing to work overtime on Saturdays.

• Maintains, analyzes, troubleshoots, and repairs computer systems, hardware and computer peripherals
    • Documents, maintains, upgrades or replaces hardware and software systems
    • Supports and maintains user account information including rights, security and systems groups
    • Trains employees, identifies, analyzes, and repairs product failures, orders and replaces parts as needed
    • Determines and recommends which products or services best fit the customers' needs
    • Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job
    • Works under immediate supervision
    • Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment
    • Typically reports to a project leader or manager

Experience:
    • 0 - 3 years of experience in the field or in a related area
    • A+ Certification REQUIRED
    • Windows 7 experience required
    • Must be available for evening shift and weekends
    • Knowledge of commonly-used tech support concepts, practices, and procedures
    • May require an Associate's Degree or equivalent
    when the recruiter responded, she asked me what hourly rate i am seeking.

what do you guys think this position should pay? keep in mind this is an evening shift (5pm-1am) and this is NYC.