Any Technical Authors?

stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
I was wondering if there are any technical authors here on TE that have published works? I may (big on the may at this point) be on this route myself and am looking for any information that might be worth sharing with a complete newbie.

This is not really something that I have ever considered but an opportunity has arisen and I would like to take it, but I would like to go in with my eyes wide open :)

Comments

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am sure we have one or two knocking about.

Hopefully they will pipe up soon!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Oh Oh Pick Me!! icon_cheers.gif

Seriously though I'm in the middle of publishing a book right now (just finishing up actually). Let me know what kind of info you are looking for...I'd be glad to answer any questions. (PM me if you don't want to ask publicly).
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Oh Oh Pick Me!! icon_cheers.gif

Seriously though I'm in the middle of publishing a book right now (just finishing up actually). Let me know what kind of info you are looking for...I'd be glad to answer any questions. (PM me if you don't want to ask publicly).

What subject are you writing about? What style of book (technical reference, exam prep)?

I have had an offer to write a book for a publisher which sounds like a great opportunity (so I would like to take it) but this is outside my comfort zone so I need to gather as much information as possible :) A couple of questions that come to mind (if you don't mind answering publicly)

Have you been pressured to deliver?
    How has it impacted your free time?
    Has it been worth it so far?
    stupidboy wrote: »
    What subject are you writing about? What style of book (technical reference, exam prep)?

I have had an offer to write a book for a publisher which sounds like a great opportunity (so I would like to take it) but this is outside my comfort zone so I need to gather as much information as possible :) A couple of questions that come to mind (if you don't mind answering publicly)

Have you been pressured to deliver?
    How has it impacted your free time?
    Has it been worth it so far?

I'm writing a Study Guide/Lab Manual for the RHCE and now new RHCSA exams.

Personally I was not pressured to deliver because I had 80% - 90% o fmy manuscript written before I was even in contact with a publisher. When they set the date for manuscript delivery I was practically done already. This is a rare circumstance because usually the author is just putting down notes and starting to write when they go under contract. I think that the publisher gave me adequate time to get everything together and write...but there are real delivery times that you need to meet so just don't leave everything to the last minute and you'll be fine.

I have no free time so that really doesn't make a difference too me. I will say though that it will consume all of your free time (depending on the size of the book and topic of course). The writing takes time and just when you hand in the rough cut of the full manuscript and think you are done, you get a review and edit to your manuscript and you end up going through the whole manuscript all over again fixing things (which can be a long process).

1000% has it been worth it. I know that when this book is done if I sell one copy or 1 million copies I'm helping to educate someone and that is more than enough return for me. Each person writes for a different reason so that will really impact how this question is answer.

Honestly I'm not trying to deter you in any way...just want you to make sure you understand that it is really time consuming, hard work, and sometimes frustrating. That being said it has been an amazing experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

If you don't mind my asking what topic would you be writing on?
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    If you don't mind my asking what topic would you be writing on?

Thanks for all your feedback. I agree that someone learning from a text that I have written is what's is all about for me.

I have been asked to cover a Citrix technology, which is really cool because its something I enjoy working with :)

I think I am sold on the idea so I need to get this outline completed and see what happens next.

Thanks for all your feedback.