noob ipv6 question

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
If I do
ping -6 ipv6.google.com
I get a response from 2001:4860:8001::93

A traceroute also resolves to this address after 8 hops. I do not have an ipv6 connection out to the internet (only ipv4). How on earth is this possible? Is windows 7 doing some kind of behind the scene automagical stuff?

Please forgive my ignorance. I've been studying constantly but just haven't touched on ipv6 that much yet.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Teredo tunnel.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I have a very, very basic understanding of what a teredo tunnel is, but I thought this would have to be configured. But since this is the case, why can you not go to ipv6.google.com in a web browser? BTW thanks for the answer!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You have to be configured to use ipv6 google services. I thought it was a good question since you could ping it. You have to be "special" and be specially configured to use ipv6 google services. Google over IPv6
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    That was not at all the answer I expected, but it makes sense. It's amazing how transparent all of these huge infrastructure changes can be from the end user perspective.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Teredo tunneling only does direct machine to machine. It doesn't do DNS lookups properly. Thats why it doesn't work properly for you if you want to go to a IPv6 website by URL but you can ping specific IPv6 machines. You don't have to specially enable IPv6 for Google or have to get them to put you in a special list. Once you get a proper native IPv6 connection or a 6in4 tunnel then it will just work assuming it is correctly configured.

Microsoft added a Teredo tunnel to Vista and 7 and the relay is a machine that is run by Microsoft. Go look up how a Teredo tunnel to understand what a relay does before anybody freaks out. That is why you've got very limited IPv6 access.

Read this and this
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    you would be surprised. There is a tunneling protocol for almost every scenario you could possibly need to tunnel for with IPv6 over IPv4. You do not need to have a native IPv6 Internet connection to get IPv6 connectivity :)
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are multiple tunneling protocols. Run ipconfig /all to see which ones are enabled. For example this may be going through 6to4 instead of Teredo. You can also do a packet capture to gain some insight.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV