Too soon?

katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm getting anxious to move on to another job already.

The current one I am in holds no real challenges, it's just putting out fires everyday. The main reason I was excited about this job is because I knew coming on board there would be lots of projects I could do, making my resume look even better. The pay is decent. The hours suck. The culture here is not what I am into at all. I work completely on my own. I reaaaally want to be working with a team. I like being inspired and motivated by others. I like learning from my peers.

So, after all that, of course the idea of leaving runs across my mind. I've only been here since October. I despise the idea of working a job this short but why waste my time?

I updated my resume and posted it on a couple sites, just so it was visible and to keep my options open. I got a pretty good lead on a job today, going to call the guy and talk about it. We'll see though, I'm not jumping the gun just yet.

What are your opinions about working a job less than a year? I want to stay at a company for a good couple of years and I just know this is not the one.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My only advice is this:
    1. Be prepared to answer the question "You've only been at your current position for a few months, what is prompting you to leave already?"

2. Ensure the next place is a place you will stay for at least 1-2 years or you will begin to look like a floater.
  • wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The way you're feeling, I would seriously consider moving on!

Although only having worked there for a couple of months would raise red flags for some, I think when you'd get the opportunity the explain your reasoning in an interview, people would understand. If you already know you don't want to be there for another year or so, you're only fooling your current employer by staying.

So, if your just staying to keep potential 'next employers' happy.. I'd say move on. Make sure you got a decent offer lined up before you tell your current employer though!

[edit] I believe you'd be able to answer RobertKaucher's first question.. I'd agree with his second remark though! [/edit]
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't think it is that uncommon for people to experience what you are. Sometimes the job is sold/advertised as one way but in fact it is something completely different - something I'm going through currently myself.

If you are unhappy, start looking around. In an interview, just be honest and tell them the job wasn't what it was advertised to be (or whatever the case may be).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm definitely prepared to get asked that question. It makes me feel really bad.

Past three jobs are:

#1 1 year 4 months - Laid off.
    #2 8 months - Quit and moved to TX.
    Current - A little over 1 month.

icon_sad.gif

I'm 22 years old. I wonder if this is more common for people my age and employers expect that too?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    katierose wrote: »
    I'm 22 years old. I wonder if this is more common for people my age and employers expect that too?

More common but still probably not a good thing for people to see on paper, might make getting an interview without a connection harder. But if you have a connection and don't like where you are, you are to young not to find what you enjoy. Go after it and don't look back.

If you can, try and move 'up'. This makes the short employment almost negligible, since you always get a better position.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I'm in a similar situation, but I decided to stick around at my current job for at least six months before moving on. During this time, I'll study as much as I can and try to earn a few certifications along the way. If things haven't improved after those six months, I'll start looking for a better job and hopefully be able to bring new certs to the table.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm definitely prepared to get asked that question. It makes me feel really bad.

Past three jobs are:

#1 1 year 4 months - Laid off.
    #2 8 months - Quit and moved to TX.
    Current - A little over 1 month.

icon_sad.gif

#1 is not a big deal as that was out of your control.
    #2 Be prepared to answer why you decided to move to TX (getting married, the desire to be around cowboy hats, etc)

While it's not uncommon for your age range to move around, I would start thinking about spending more time at a position. If anything, if your employer has a 401(k) plan that you contribute to and they match, their matching money is "lost" if you leave before your vested period. That's free money!
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When i first started in IT I worked on a project at several sites with time off in between and with 2 different companies (almost 2 years over 4 sites). I didn't start to get calls until i merged the 4 into 1. Personally if I were you I would try to stick it out awhile and get some time under your belt. Continue to look but I'd bet better job offers would come in later rather then sooner.
    I feel pretty confident explaining my needs and background. The company I work for is in the news pretty often for being terrible and a complete ripoff, so that's depressing enough. Our CEO just changed today too. I also have a ethical problem with the way things are run here. But a job is a job I guess. icon_sad.gif
    I hate it so much that I would quit tomorrow and never list it on my resume if I could. icon_sad.gif
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I hate it so much that I would quit tomorrow and never list it on my resume if I could. icon_sad.gif

I know what that feels like.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    you situation sounds pretty shatty, but i can't imagine leaving after a month will look good on a resume
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    you situation sounds pretty shatty, but i can't imagine leaving after a month will look good on a resume

+1

If you are miserable then I guess you have to, but I would resist the temptation at all cost unless you get a better gig that seems to be geared toward your goals.

Good luck.

BTW just being nosey, what do you do all day at your job?
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, you have a job right now, so it isn't like you will be desperate. Go for the job... if you get it, great. If not, then you will be stuck in the crap job a bit longer.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I'm dealing with the same thing except I've waited 6 years!

They enticed me during the interview by saying there will be a number of big projects, one including with upgrading the database server and our distributor software. Doesn't sound that big but even that project got scrapped when the economy went down.

I didnt want to leave too early since it may look bad on my resume. Now here I am after 6 years and I'm frustrated. At one point I was okay with the fact that at least I had a job in this economy. But now I can't really take it, I am getting crappy experience here plus no raises (using the economy as an excuse).
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
    Wow...after reading a little about your current employer I don't know why you even took the job. I don't blame you for wanting to leave. It never hurts to look for another job and if you can stomach it stay until you find something better. I've heard that Dallas has a good market for tech but then again I'm in Jersey and the grass always looks greener.....Good luck....
    Dallas is a great place for IT. That's why I know I can do better.

I took this job because I knew someone from one of our vendors that recommended me. I didn't think I would care that much about their politics and how it would effect me but this is a lesson learned.

I'm just going to ignore all the lame stuff and roll out as many projects as I can and stay busy. I'm starting college next year so that will keep my mind off work a little. Plus it will show I at least started college so maybe that will get me through the door of some HR offices.

In the mean time I will just search, hope, and wait. =\
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

Exactly right; don't list it on your resume and when you get a new job, just forget about it. Alot of us have a job in our history we wish we hadn't taken. It doesn't need to be a black mark and no one needs to know or question it in the future. Why is there a month gap in your resume? Personal time off / holiday / family affair etc.
  • darrensmoothdarrensmooth Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know how you feel, im in a similar position, you work the job and its not what was advertised but you have to be congnizant of your resume always, so stay as long as you can, but if you want to leave soon, leave ASAP that way you might be able to take it off your resume (maybe)
  • mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know how you feel to go into a job, hating every second of it and can't bare to get up to go to work everyday. I did that for 2 months before quitting.
    When asked at a job interview why I left after 2 months, I told them straight why I left and they preferred that I was honest with them. And I got that job and I can't tell you how much better I felt after leaving the previous job. Sometimes you know something isn't right for you and you have to act on that.

Whether or not you mention it on your resume is up to you but if you really hate the job that much, then find something else. If you feel like this now, who knows how you'll feel in 6 months time.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm getting anxious to move on to another job already.

The current one I am in holds no real challenges, it's just putting out fires everyday. The main reason I was excited about this job is because I knew coming on board there would be lots of projects I could do, making my resume look even better. The pay is decent. The hours suck. The culture here is not what I am into at all. I work completely on my own. I reaaaally want to be working with a team. I like being inspired and motivated by others. I like learning from my peers.

So, after all that, of course the idea of leaving runs across my mind. I've only been here since October. I despise the idea of working a job this short but why waste my time?

I updated my resume and posted it on a couple sites, just so it was visible and to keep my options open. I got a pretty good lead on a job today, going to call the guy and talk about it. We'll see though, I'm not jumping the gun just yet.

What are your opinions about working a job less than a year? I want to stay at a company for a good couple of years and I just know this is not the one.

I found it difficult working a particular job when I started out. I was on my own running all the IT at a manufacturing plant. Other than some telephone help at head office I was on my own. But I had no IT experience to speak of when I joined so it was always going to be difficult. Im glad I stuck it out there for nearly two years as I settled into the position and learned a great deal. If the projects are on offer there I would stay as you are for the moment. Certainly you should consider giving the job six months to see how things play out. If it comes down to it you could land something elsewhere with some effort from yourself. I still think its a little early to be leaving though as it can take 6 months for job to really shake itself down. The fact that you are a sole provider in your current job is a positive as you have to assume a lot of responsibility and manage your own time, these are plus points when you wish to move up to the next level in your next job. But you will want to put sometime in first so you can demonstrate that you can hack it and handle things.

If you are set on leaving I would talk things over with your supervisor first as the company may be able to accomodate your ambitions better. Should you leave I think you are young enough to recover from the job hopping perception but you should try and land a more senior role than the one you have on the grounds that taken together your previous positions leave you feeling unchallenged and you are ready for the next level. It is important though that you put some time in with a company now. You want a 1 - 2 year stint in company x on your CV so it shows you can stick at something, have commitment and are worth investing in. That sort of time gives you an opportunity to get involved with significant projects so you have something to talk about. If you keep changing jobs you may find it easier to go contracting than to go permanent in terms of landing work. Junior roles are hard to come by in this economy, ask many of the people on these boards who have more certifications than yourself and are struggling to find someone to take them on, so I would think hard before moving on from a job into the unknown if the one you have really could turn out to be a better opportunity than you feel it presently is. You may need to put some time in there before those projects you were promised actually surface. They may be dependent on budgets next year and they just have to keep you busy for a while and see how you perform. If the job is relatively secure I would be inclined to stay for a while and keep the paycheck. A move may be fantastic, but as I say if it doesn't work out and you end up having to look around again next year you may be in a difficult place. Unless the job is a complete bum steer I would shoot for a move next April.
    You should still list the job on the resume as a title and current job can never hurt. I was able to find a job once after working for a little over a month at another. Was looking because I didn't like the mandatory over time, low pay, crazy environment (user can do anything) and paying for parking. But I got the new job because I had worked on the deployment side and was a major asset while I was there until the project finished. Keep your head/spirits up and you'll be out in a better position in no time.
    Man it's crazy how things turn out..

I got a call from a really great company here in Dallas the other day. They just found my resume on Dice and decided to call me on a position they are hiring for. It's a Systems/Network administration job with lots of great things for me to get my hands on. They are highly ranked as a "best place to work" and one of the "fastest growing companies" in the area. I had one phone interview with the recruiter and then with the VP. I really liked the VP because he didn't give me the usual dumb interview questions. He tested my technical skill by asking some questions, some I did not have the answer to, others I did great. One thing I like about the company is they don't post their positions on job boards, they just find people they like. They want someone that is passionate about what they do and willing to do the work. I think the interview went really good. :)

I have an in person meeting next week. It would be amazing if I landed this, but at least I have a job in case it doesn't. Regardless, I have been ignoring the things that annoy me here and been keeping busy. A LOT. Hardly at my desk anymore. I have enough work to get me through the next couple of months and even more work when corporate removes some red tape.

So yeah. Awesomeness.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    very awesome! good luck icon_thumright.gif
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
    Gratz...Karma...it always works out....
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They just found my resume on Dice and decided to call me on a position they are hiring for. It's a Systems/Network administration job with lots of great things for me to get my hands on. They are highly ranked as a "best place to work" and one of the "fastest growing companies" in the area.

I just posted my resume on Dice and I got to the "Personal Summary" section on posting my profile. I wasn't sure what to put there so I put a cover letter type paragraph. Since someone contacted you, I figured I might want to ask you how you filled that part out.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    I didn't fill out that part at all. Just posted my resume, and filled out some of the skills section. I think most people are just going to look at your resume, not all the fancy extra info Dice wants to show.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Congrats on the new stuff! Lets hope it works out for ya!
  • joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Congrats on the potential job but I do have one word of caution. Always remember that whenever you post your resume out to the internet you never know who might be viewing it. I got busted at my first job because my manager was out there looking at resumes for a position that they were going to open up and he found mine!! Now try explaining that one on the fly when they have you cornered.
    I'm not worried about someone here finding my resume online, they have zero time for that. Even if they did, I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. I will be straight up and let them know I am keeping my options open but I'm not actively applying anywhere.

Tomorrow I have an in person interview with the company that found me on Dice. I am meeting with three different people and have been through two phone screenings so far, so they must like me at least a little. Really promising company, keeping my fingers crossed!