SSCP - March 12

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I am booked to take the SSCP in March. For those of you who have taken the exam, do you think the CBK is enough? I am planning to use the new one when it comes out, the network security Bible and possibly the CISSP CBK as well. I might pick up trancender for the exam and of course do some labs. Anyone think that I will need anything else?

Oh and also has anyone had any luck with getting ISC2 to sponsor them? I don't know anyone with any ISC2 certs in my area so I will have to ask them to sponsor me.

Comments

• shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck sir. I used the CBK exclusively for mine, and I would say it is sufficient, but my job covers several of the domains at least in some capacity so it was a little easier to study for it IMO. I was unaware that Transcender had SSCP practice exams. If that is true, I would say they are definitely worth it. I've used them for Cisco exams and they are worth every penny. If not, cccure.org has good practice exams too.

I've seen a couple people on this board that have gotten ISC2 to endorse them, it just takes a little longer from what I understand.
    :study:
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    Best of luck sir. I used the CBK exclusively for mine, and I would say it is sufficient, but my job covers several of the domains at least in some capacity so it was a little easier to study for it IMO. I was unaware that Transcender had SSCP practice exams. If that is true, I would say they are definitely worth it. I've used them for Cisco exams and they are worth every penny. If not, cccure.org has good practice exams too.

I've seen a couple people on this board that have gotten ISC2 to endorse them, it just takes a little longer from what I understand.

You are actually one of a few people that I specifically wanted to see this.

I have more than a year in access controls along with Network and Communications and Monitoring and analysis. Not much in the other domains though lol. What did you think of the exam? Was it as tough as a Cisco exam (specifically CCNA:S or CCNA)?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I would start with the Official CBK Guide and use the Web for collecting additional information. I've never had a look at Trancender's SSCP practice exams, but if you like to learn facts in practice exam form then they are probably as good as any. CISSP domain material is also applicable to several of the SSCP CBK domains. Have a look at The SSCP Certification Experience | TechExams.net Blogs

You were one as well JD. How difficult was the exam compared to the S+? I need to reread you blog entry on the subject.
    I don't know how well they've improved the Security+ exam over the past five years since I've taken it, but the SSCP's material is wider and deeper, and this makes the exam more difficult. How much more difficult one exam is from the other depends on how much you know. If you really know the SSCP CBK material then both exams can be rather easy.
    Ok guys I have an interesting problem. I live in the Ohio and currently there are to offering for the SSCP/CISSP. One is in March in a city that is about 3 hours (one way) trip from me. That would give me plenty of time to study but it would also basically drain a weekend from me (6+ hours of travel and a couple of hours for the exam would put me out of commission for the Saturday and I would catch up on my Zs on the Sunday). There is an offering in my city on January 8th which is a little would give me less time but I would have less than 30 minutes travel. I am out of school for winter break so I could dedicate about 3 hours a day to studying. Anyone think doing the closer date is doable? I have the Security+ and I have some material I could use to get myself ready. Since the new CBK isn't out yet, I would use the old CBK (until the new one comes out), some practice test, network security bible and some prep logic guides.
    The SSCP exam material if broader and more difficult that the Security+ exam that I took back in 2005. I'm sure the 2008 Security+ exam is closer to the SSCP, but it is still purely fact-based. You will get more complex and scenario-like questions in the SSCP exam items.

I would say the current SSCP CBK book and supplemental information on the Web should do you well. Never count on a book being released when a publisher says. Publication dates slip quite often.

And only you can determine whether you can get in enough quality studying for any given exam date.
    I am going to give myself till December 22. If I don't feel like I am going to be ready, than I will shoot for March. icon_study.gif

The CIB for the SSCP shows it was updated in 2009:

https://www.isc2.org/cib/default.aspx

I purchased the quiz me series and the audio training for the SSCP by prep logic. I already have the mega guide and some cbts for the SSCP. I plan to go domain by domain. I'll pick up the CBK sometime next week.
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□

I have more than a year in access controls along with Network and Communications and Monitoring and analysis. Not much in the other domains though lol. What did you think of the exam? Was it as tough as a Cisco exam (specifically CCNA:S or CCNA)?

Sorry about that. I kinda fell off the map for a while.

My experience really helped a lot with the technical security topics like encryption, malware analysis, pen testing and risk assessments. The risk assessment section will be very difficult for you to study if you have never been exposed to them IMO. This is coming from someone who thinks risk assessments are incredibly boring though so if you find them super interesting, then that probably won't be as true. I will say this though, the risk assessment domain was really the only one that tried to put me to sleep. The entire rest of the book was really interesting, even in the areas that I wasn't already well-versed.

As far as the actual exam, it was tough. However, probably the single hardest thing about the Cisco exams for me was the time limit. I "took" the SSCP exam twice from start to finish and had about 45 minutes to spare. The bad thing is, I don't really know how well I actually did so I can't speak to how much I mastered the material in the short time that I spent preparing for it. I may have passed with a 701/700, or I may not have passed at all according some of the other threads around here.

Part of the difficulty of the SSCP is in the way the questions are worded and the answer selections given. With the Cisco exams, I felt like if I really knew what the syntax of that command was supposed to be, or the protocol to use, the answer really jumped out at you. Not so much on SSCP. You have to really put yourself in a particular mindset and almost build a scenario in your head to figure out how you would react to the given situation. I don't know if that helps you at all. In terms of pure stress, SSCP was far more intense than the Cisco stuff. I think part of that was being locked in a room with armed guards pacing the aisles as I tried to focus on my test book (not really).

In terms of your location dilemma, I did about 90% of my studying in about 2 months, and the vast majority of that was strictly on weekends. I'd say the January date is doable, but not likely. However, like JD said, you're really the only person that can be the judge of that and you will only know after you get neck-deep into the material based on how comfortable you feel with it. There is also the possibility that you are way smarter than I am and you have no trouble passing it in a limited amount of time.
    :study:
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    In terms of your location dilemma, I did about 90% of my studying in about 2 months, and the vast majority of that was strictly on weekends. I'd say the January date is doable, but not likely. However, like JD said, you're really the only person that can be the judge of that and you will only know after you get neck-deep into the material based on how comfortable you feel with it. There is also the possibility that you are way smarter than I am and you have no trouble passing it in a limited amount of time.

Idk I looked at the objectives last night and they don't seem that bad. But who knows. I have made a few purchases and I feel like if I can get 2-3 hours on the weekdays and 3-6 hours on the weekends between now and December 22 or so than I can pass. I really just don't feel like driving. We will see.

Thanks for the feedback by the way.

Ok for those that have done SSCP and Security+ can anyone else verify that SSCP stuff seems to be a rehash of Sec+ stuff. Man I am bored...

Does anyone know if the SSCP stuff from ucertify is any good?
    Compare the objectives of the Security+ cert with the seven domains of the SSCP Common Body of Knowledge. You'll see that the 2008 Security+ objectives "borrowed" a lot from the SSCP, and there is overlap in the topics covered, but the SSCP exam will not just be asking for facts and definitions. You'll actually have to know something about using that information.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    Does anyone know if the SSCP stuff from ucertify is any good?

My co-worker passed SSCP last year and he says ucertify is decent but not top shelf. He says stick with the CBK. He likes to shoulder surf when I'm on TE, lol.
    My co-worker passed SSCP last year and he says ucertify is decent but not top shelf. He says stick with the CBK. He likes to shoulder surf when I'm on TE, lol.

I picked up the CBK today. Hopefully it will be enough.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    If I do pass CISSP in the next few weeks, SSCP CBK will be on my radar also. If not, back to CISSP, boooooooooo.
    If I do pass CISSP in the next few weeks, SSCP CBK will be on my radar also. If not, back to CISSP, boooooooooo.

CBK arrived today. I put a rush on it so I didn't lose too many days by waiting. I am going to finish up the access controls chapter (domain 1), read some from the network security bible and then take some notes while watching the CBTs. I'll officially close domain 1 today and head into domain 2.
    So I switched it back to March. I decided that I don't want to rush through the material and I would rather study it more completely so that I can make sure I remember it all.
  • SpecialladieSpecialladie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi.
    Just took the SSCP this morning. Losing my mind without anything to do now but wait. No clue how I did on it. I took 200+ practice exams on CCCure.org and took intro to infosec for my AAS degree. I just graduated last week and worried out my mine. I didn't see any of those questions on my test. I am scared.
    Which do you guys think would be more valuable for an infosec pro? I have noticed that several people which less than 4-5 years of infosec exp have gone for the CISSP Assc rather than doing the SSCP. I am just curious if the CISSP name recognition is such that even not being a "full" CISSP is more valuable than a "full" SSCP. Thoughts?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Which do you guys think would be more valuable for an infosec pro? I have noticed that several people which less than 4-5 years of infosec exp have gone for the CISSP Assc rather than doing the SSCP. I am just curious if the CISSP name recognition is such that even not being a "full" CISSP is more valuable than a "full" SSCP. Thoughts?

I would say the CISSP associate would give your better cognition. 8570 wise its the end all be all certification. Passing it as an associate gives you the ability to move around the model even though you're not a full CISSP (except CNDSP Manager which reqs CISSP-Specialty). In terms of actually getting a CISSP job with an associate designation, that may or may not be another discussion all together (can't speak from experience). In either case, having CISSP anywhere on your resumé is a good look :)
    I would say the CISSP associate would give your better cognition. 8570 wise its the end all be all certification. Passing it as an associate gives you the ability to move around the model even though you're not a full CISSP (except CNDSP Manager which reqs CISSP-Specialty). In terms of actually getting a CISSP job with an associate designation, that may or may not be another discussion all together (can't speak from experience). In either case, having CISSP anywhere on your resumé is a good look :)

I see your point. Thanks for the clarification.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I see your point. Thanks for the clarification.

I concur I think CISSP Associate would yield much higher ROI as it still meets 8570 requirements.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm starting to see the SSCP in job listings on Monster.com, etc. Don't know if that is the beginning of a trend or not. Lockheed Martin is one of the ads that caught my attention.
    I'm starting to see the SSCP in job listings on Monster.com, etc. Don't know if that is the beginning of a trend or not. Lockheed Martin is one of the ads that caught my attention.

I have seen this as well. SSCP seems to be somewhat popular but the CISSP is much, much more popular.
    I have seen this as well. SSCP seems to be somewhat popular but the CISSP is much, much more popular.

No argument from me on that. I'm just saying that if you want to take it won't hurt you any.
    No argument from me on that. I'm just saying that if you want to take it won't hurt you any.

SO here are some numbers:

Sscp Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
    (almost) 1100 jobs

Cissp Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
    11000 jobs

Well if we go strictly by numbers, there it is lol.

Just for kicks"

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=gsec&l=

about 1000

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=gcia&l=

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=gpen&l=

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=gcfw&l=

about 100
    LOL, not surprising.

Maybe I should have phrased it differently, "It's not a waste of time, but it is less well known." icon_wink.gif
    Well I am back on the SSCP wagon officially. I will take the test May 21st! I will pass using this material:

Network Security Bible (Purchased)
    SSCP CBK Gold Book - (Purchased)
    Prep Logic MP3s - (Purchased)
    Prep Logic Review Guide - Purchased)
    SSCP CBT Nuggets - (Purchased)
    Transcender Test - (Need to buy)

I want to rack up 300-350 hours for this exam although I don't know if I will need that much. We will see.
    Good to see! I'm probably going to chase and kill it next year.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    How has the study been going? I am looking into taking on this cert sometime in the near future and wanted to get some insight into your thoughts on the material so far.
    WIP: IPS exam