Help needed!!

djlombadjlomba Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am taking the test Friday (12/10)

I am having a little trouble with LAN and WAN properties.

1. Does the test ask distances in meters or feet?

2. Where can I find a chart with the ACCURATE distances instead of approximates?

Comments

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I believe the measurements are in meters. As far knowing the measurements, there should be some info in your study material. I do know that in the questions asked the length is usually quite obvious. For example with Ethernet at 100 meters, you would see answers like 10 meters,1000 meters, 72 meters and 100 meters. That's just an example but that's about how you'll see lengths on the test.

edit: found a chart that I believe to be accurate.

cables.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • djlombadjlomba Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I believe the measurements are in meters. As far knowing the measurements, there should be some info in your study material. I do know that in the questions asked the length is usually quite obvious. For example with Ethernet at 100 meters, you would see answers like 10 meters,1000 meters, 72 meters and 100 meters. That's just an example but that's about how you'll see lengths on the test.

edit: found a chart that I believe to be accurate.

cables.gif

Thanks A LOT! anything for WAN properties?
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Didn't really delve much into WAN stuff really. Not as far as lengths or speeds really. More just knowing the type of routing protocols that were used, BGP, IS-IS etc.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • mkaxsnydermkaxsnyder Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    djlomba wrote: »
    I am taking the test Friday (12/10)

1. Does the test ask distances in meters or feet?

2. Where can I find a chart with the ACCURATE distances instead of approximates?

I just took and passed the Net+ Tuesday (12/7) with an 855.

They will want meters for sure. I memorized a chart that I wrote on the dry erase sheet that took care of the cable standards with distances. I was asked a couple questions that the chart helped me with.

If your study material does not have a chart, I can post a screenshot from my video study material (LabSim) that I used for memorizing.

GOOD LUCK!
    icon_study.gif = icon_thumright.gif
  • djlombadjlomba Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mkaxsnyder wrote: »
    I just took and passed the Net+ Tuesday (12/7) with an 855.

They will want meters for sure. I memorized a chart that I wrote on the dry erase sheet that took care of the cable standards with distances. I was asked a couple questions that the chart helped me with.

If your study material does not have a chart, I can post a screenshot from my video study material (LabSim) that I used for memorizing.

GOOD LUCK!
    icon_study.gif = icon_thumright.gif

Thanks so much! That would be great. As far as the memorization aspect goes, I am ok with the common ports. I need to work on the LAN cable properties. I need a lot more work on memorizing the WAN properties.
  • maps4youmaps4you Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking the exam too Friday too. Whoopi!!!

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE ENTIRE ANSWER

I have seem answers like
    328meters or 100ft (the correct answers for Ethernet might be 100m or 328ft)

Also they may give you 2000 meters which is the SAME as 2KM

On WAN stufff I heard ATM and Frame Relay are no longer covered but thats unsubstatiated.

Good luck!!
  • mkaxsnydermkaxsnyder Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This was the chart I memorized for fiber standards/distances. I did have one for UTP, but the speed is already in the standard and the length for any copper (UTP) is 100m. The only difference is 1000BaseCX can use STP with a limited distance of 25m, otherwise if used with UTP...still 100m.

fibercablechart.th.png

Here is the chart that came with my material:

fullcablelist.th.png