Is the 70-291 exam being retired?

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is the 70-291 exam being retired? I read somewhere a while back that it was being retired at the end of this year.

I have been studying like crazy recently to get it done by the end of December.

But, I just looked on Microsoft’s page with retired and soon to be retired exams and do not see it listed. Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exam Development

Was I misinformed about it retiring?

Comments

• xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I think the latest info available is the list of exams to be retired in March 2011 and 70-291 isn't on that list. So, you've got until then at least. I'm thinking the core 2003 exams will probably be around through next year. I'm not sure after that, though, so I'm trying to take what I can in 2011.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you were misinformed. The 291 isn't on the list for 2010 and I doubt will be on the list in 2011. Server 2003 stil has too big a presence in the marketplace and also M$ usually keeps exams for operating systems active until they have 2 in front of it. I don't see the core 2003 exams being retired until MS comes out with their next Server OS.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That’s great news! What I remember reading is that the MCSA and MCSE cert. tests were retiring at the end of the year. I was thinking that I would not be able to go for MCSE, but at least get my MCSA.

One thing, thinking that it was being retired has been very motivational. I have been devoting every minute possible to studying.

I have the test scheduled for this coming Monday. Now if I really don’t think I am ready I will re-schedule. I was going to take it even if I didn’t feel that great about it, thinking that I would have time to take it again before the end of the year.

I am still going to study as though I am going to take it on Monday though.

Thank you.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not that I'm aware of. The last retirement list to come out was for 3/31, and the 291 (or the 270, 290, 293, 294, or 298 ) was NOT on there. So there is still plenty of time to get MCSA/E.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Briangl....

came in bright and early to work, drinking my coffee, opened up Firefox and TE and saw this post and about spit coffee all over my screen and keyboard.

Gave me quite a scare there and then realized that I had already checked the MS site a few weeks ago for the upcoming retired exams and this one wasnt on it. I wasnt fully awake yet until the coffee spewed

As everyone else said you are good to go. What have you been using to study and lab with? I'm STILL studying for it, as I keep getting bogged down with work projects, life, and a total lack of motivation (how do I get rid of that?). I had hoped to take this by 12-31-10 but that isnt happening now.

Good luck BTW, and be sure and let us know how you do.

BreadFan
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Breadfan wrote: »
    Thanks Briangl....

came in bright and early to work, drinking my coffee, opened up Firefox and TE and saw this post and about spit coffee all over my screen and keyboard.

Gave me quite a scare there and then realized that I had already checked the MS site a few weeks ago for the upcoming retired exams and this one wasnt on it. I wasnt fully awake yet until the coffee spewed

As everyone else said you are good to go. What have you been using to study and lab with? I'm STILL studying for it, as I keep getting bogged down with work projects, life, and a total lack of motivation (how do I get rid of that?). I had hoped to take this by 12-31-10 but that isnt happening now.

Good luck BTW, and be sure and let us know how you do.

BreadFan

Sorry about that Breadfan. I have spilt my share of coffee on my keyboard, haven’t spit it on my monitor ( yet ).

I don’t remember where the heck I saw that info., but I recall it seeming pretty authoritative ( for that zone ). It’s actually the motivation I needed to study for it, so I am not sorry I made that mistake.

I have Sever 2003 on 2 pcs in my basement, but got frustrated trying to do labs that I was not equipped to do, like dial up. I did what I could. I was using the MS Press book while doing that. I burned out on it with 2 chapters to go and switched over to Testout. I think from now on I am going to just start with Testout, it has never let me down. Even when I asked if it was enough for the 70-290 and was told “no” that I needed at least one more source, I found it to be quite adequate. I had read the MS Press book first, but I get so bogged down in them that I start and stop studying a lot and by the time I get to the end of the book I have forgotten almost everything.

I’m thinking with my previous studies of subnetting and routing etc. that Testout is enough for this also. I will let you know how I do. I practice a little subnetting almost everyday to stay sharp with it. I really enjoy the Testout format, videos, reading material, hands on simulations and quizzes at the end of most sections. I seem to learn well that way. I also print out the reading material and review with it at work the day after studying the material at home the night before.

Even after having gone through the Cisco Networking Academy and thoroughly enjoying it , I did well on the Intro test but failed the ICND test the first time. I went and did Testout for about 2 months after failing and passed with a 951. To me it seems the sims. prepare me better than doing labs on actual routers, which I have in my basement along with switches. To me they just look more like the sims on the tests. Working with the actual hardware may be more like the real world but the sims. just seem more like the tests.

Anyway I will let you know how I do, probably start a new thread for that.

Thanks again everyone.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    briangl wrote: »
    haven’t spit it on my monitor ( yet ).

Word of advice, don't eat corn on the cob at your desk.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I think a lot of people get confused with MS ending official product support for Server 2003 and MS retiring exams related to Server 2003. That may have been what prompted the misinformation you received.