I feel like I'm trailing behind

steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I have been studying for the Network+ cert. for the last two months on/off using Sybex Todd Lammle study guide, Bill ferguson review guide, as well as Prof. Messor videos.

My exam is scheduled for the 20th Dec. and I'm getting 65% on some practice tests, 80% on others.

I feel like I'm not getting it. Some areas I'm strong, others lost.

Any suggestions before the 20th?

thnx
Steve

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Combine the weak areas on both of the tests and use that as a guide for what subjects you should study more on. Thats the only idea I can come up with.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heres a link to professor messer's free videos for Net+:

Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Network+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

Just drill down on those objectives you are having trouble with and use the videos as a supplement. If after much research there are things you just still aren't getting, feel free to post on the forum.
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Network+ covers a lot of material so don't get discouraged. I found the best way was to create a self-study guide.

Here is my study file. If the material is against forum rules please delete it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/435071430/net_plus.doc
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    steve2012 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been studying for the Network+ cert. for the last two months on/off using Sybex Todd Lammle study guide, Bill ferguson review guide, as well as Prof. Messor videos.

My exam is scheduled for the 20th Dec. and I'm getting 65% on some practice tests, 80% on others.

I feel like I'm not getting it. Some areas I'm strong, others lost.

Any suggestions before the 20th?

thnx
    Steve

One of the things I'd recommend, if you're not already doing it, is to write down every question you miss or otherwise make a note of it. Then, don't just look up the right answer, but try to understand the reason behind why the answer is what it is. To put it another way, if you understand the reason the other 3 answers were wrong (or whatever) and why the correct one is correct, you'll have a much better chance of answering that question correctly when it's worded differently.

I know that's pretty much common sense, but sometimes you can get caught up in memorizing facts without understanding the underlying concepts. If you understand why something is correct, you can then extrapolate that to other questions with different wording.

If I were you, I'd take a look at the N+ objectives and just go through them, bullet point by bullet point, and see how comfortable you are with each area. Make specific notes about each of the areas that you feel weak in and see how it goes from there.

Good luck on it.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    What areas do you feel lost??

Good tips already mentioned.

I used this guide in my study as well:
    Free CompTIA Network+ Study Guide by MC MCSE
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    for every practice question you get wrong, write down the definition or answer in a notebook. writing down things really gets it in your head.

after a few days of practice testing, youll have a notebook of all the definitions you got wrong.
    and it becomes a good review bit.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • GamingCrazyGamingCrazy Member Posts: 113
    Repo Man wrote: »
    Network+ covers a lot of material so don't get discouraged. I found the best way was to create a self-study guide.

Here is my study file. If the material is against forum rules please delete it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/435071430/net_plus.doc

This helped a lot, Thanks!
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    badboyeee wrote: »
    What areas do you feel lost??

Good tips already mentioned.

I used this guide in my study as well:
    Free CompTIA Network+ Study Guide by MC MCSE

really good guide. im sure if you know at least 90% of this. at least vaguely, youll be fine.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the responses. I will review the material I keep getting wrong. There is such an abundant amount of information to remember, I think it is just really hard for me to absorb everything.

I am currently going through the study guide and taking notes. I just hope I will be ready by the 20th. If not, I'll see if I can push it back until the 29th or 30th to get some extra study time in.

I think I am going to check with the testing centre today to see what their holiday hours are.

Thanks again everyone

Steve
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the responses. I will review the material I keep getting wrong. There is such an abundant amount of information to remember, I think it is just really hard for me to absorb everything.

I am currently going through the study guide and taking notes. I just hope I will be ready by the 20th. If not, I'll see if I can push it back until the 29th or 30th to get some extra study time in.

I think I am going to check with the testing centre today to see what their holiday hours are.

Thanks again everyone

Steve

Make sure and learn what style of learning is best for you. Visual/Audio/Kinesthetic.

Learning Styles -- Visual, Auditory, and Tactile Learning
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i found Bill Ferguson's guide very helpful... but yeah, I would take the tests on the cds that came with the book, and make a note of what subject I missed and go back and read that section in one of the two books or both
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Heres a link to professor messer's free videos for Net+:

Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Network+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

Just drill down on those objectives you are having trouble with and use the videos as a supplement. If after much research there are things you just still aren't getting, feel free to post on the forum.

+1

And relax. You will pass just relax. The worst thing you can do is get worked up about it.

Just think you will have A+ and N+ starting the new year! Nice
  • maps4youmaps4you Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Steve

I know exactly how you feel -- I'm taking the friggin thing on Friday. Ive been prparing for about a month. I'll never recall it all; so I'm just trying now then one more shot before the year is out.
    This is much tougher than Sec+ since it has Security plus all the other material. Also questions can be more subjective on this exam.

I'm 50 and doing this and keeping all this info in my head is tough. It sounds to me you ARE preparing and studying and that is all you can do. Worrying wont make it any better. As long as you know you're giving it your best.

Keep it up -- you can do it!
    maps4you wrote: »
    Steve

I know exactly how you feel -- I'm taking the friggin thing on Friday. Ive been prparing for about a month. I'll never recall it all; so I'm just trying now then one more shot before the year is out.
    This is much tougher than Sec+ since it has Security plus all the other material. Also questions can be more subjective on this exam.

I'm 50 and doing this and keeping all this info in my head is tough. It sounds to me you ARE preparing and studying and that is all you can do. Worrying wont make it any better. As long as you know you're giving it your best.

Keep it up -- you can do it!

Thanks Maps

Good luck with your exam. I just keep reading, and writing, and testing, and reading.....That's all I can do. I have all next week off so I plan on putting in 5-7 hour days at this to bring up my memorization.

I checked with the testing centre and they close down on the 22nd @ noon so i'm S.O.L. on getting an extra couple of days and I will be writing on the 20th.

Steve
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Good luck on your test.
  • jvhall83jvhall83 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on the test. Very good information given here. Just continue to push yourself and look at your failures as a path to your success. Increase your efforts and build your confidence by understanding why the answers are what they are. wish you the best
    Steve,

Since you have the time next week. What I did is look for all the Borders book stores in my area and picked the one with the most Network+ books you can check stock) and just started reading multiple books. Took the book quizs too. Some of the stores had as many as three books. Ok, this is coming from someone who has not passed yet but maybe this will have had a positive impact on my test event. Memorization is painfull so I'm going with saturation. Oh and memorization at Borders is nearly impossible with the noise level.

Dave
    Dave,

Did you write today? Don't forget to let us know how you did & good luck !!

Steve
    Steve

See my separate thread...I paased 818

Just take the friggin thing. There is a set of questions you just cant study for. See that thread for one such question. I thought I was going to fail during the first 50 but powered quickly though the latter 50. When I hit question 50 I only had 50 minutes left! Ok, I was traumatized. But things got better.

You can do it.

Dave
    I did it!

I Passed and am now Net+ Certified.

Thanks for all your support.

Steve
  • mrgreggiemrgreggie Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did it!

Steve

CONGRATS! Glad you were able to see it through. Isn't this forum great? icon_cheers.gif
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did it!

Steve

Grats!!!
    You did it! Killer!

Whats next?
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did it!

Steve

おめでとう~♪
    Good job dude :)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)