Microsoft Interview

MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am supposed to have an initial interview with Microsoft tomorrow afternoon. This is just the first interview with the recruiter.

This will be my 3rd time interviewing with them, for various jobs.

Has anyone else ever interviewed with them?

Anyone currently working there?

Comments

• darrensmoothdarrensmooth Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have in 2003, didnt get the job though, its the only interview that I wasnt offered the job, every other job ive gone for, ive gotten before and since, didnt have experience though.
    Anyway, in my case, they would ask a question, if you got that right it would lead to a related question but it would get harder, so for example 'what does ping do?' then 'how would you use ping to troubleshoot a network issue?' and it would continue from there all the way up to troubleshooting major infrastructure. Some friends mentioned logic questions are sometimes asked like riddles.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Bring a ZUNE with you...maybe it will help. ;)

Good luck.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a pleasant 20 min conversation with the recruiter. Asked all of the basic info from me. Experience, salary, likes/dislikes. She said she would be forwarding my info to the hiring manager, and I should expect to have the in person interview on Dec 10th. I dont know if they are just being aggressive, or if they just really need Premier Field Engineers but I have never had someone from there work this fast.
    **Update**
    I got an email back from MS saying they want to move forward with the next step. The first technical interview, which is tomorrow evening. If all goes well, I may be scheduling an in person interview either this Friday or next. They seem to be moving quite fast, which is out of the norm for federal services.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    awesome! good luck dude.... that Zune comment cracked me up
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    awesome! good luck dude.... that Zune comment cracked me up

Yup. Be sure not to answer your I-Phone during the interview.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    You know whats funny is, I got the reply email on my iphone about confirming my next interview. So I deleted the (default) signature line that says "Sent from my iPhone." Just to make sure :)
    I wonder if inside Microsoft headquarters they require employees to get a Windows phone? or at least ban them from using/having an iPhone?

i had a friend who worked for Coca-Cola as a truck driver and they weren't allowed to get any pepsi products... seems kind of the same... some dude got fired for leaving an empty mt. dew bottle in his work truck
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Im not sure. I have a friend who is a developer at MS. Ill have to ask him.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I wonder if inside Microsoft headquarters they require employees to get a Windows phone? or at least ban them from using/having an iPhone?

i had a friend who worked for Coca-Cola as a truck driver and they weren't allowed to get any pepsi products... seems kind of the same... some dude got fired for leaving an empty mt. dew bottle in his work truck

Bwhahah, I have a friend who works for Pepsi, and he can't be seen with any Coca Cola stuff either :)

Good luck with the interview man!
    My friend at MS just replied back and said that they are encouraged to get Windows based phones (which are free), but that it isnt forced. I think they only pay for Windows phones though.
    I think working for Microsoft would be pretty sweet, I would get a Windows phone in a heartbeat...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Yeah I think that if I make it through my next set of interviews and get an offer Ill take it. I currently work for a big company and I enjoy it, but I feel stuck here where I am.

I probably wont get a raise with MS, but Ill end up making more over all because they pretty much take care of the health insurance aspect.

I also just finished another set of interviews with another company called FusionIO, and should have an offer with them this week or early next week.

So I may need to decide which to take.
    so do you live near MS? or will you be moving?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    MS has a campus near me. They have an office in Reston, VA which is their base of operations for their federal division. If I get the job, I would be a Premier Field Engineer in the Federal division.
    Another update

I thought I bombed the tech screening the other day. Turns out I did really well, and will be flying to Charlotte for a final in person interview next week.
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Another update

I thought I bombed the tech screening the other day. Turns out I did really well, and will be flying to Charlotte for a final in person interview next week.
    nice way to go!
    nice! good luck
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Good luck man! We're rooting for ya!
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow! Can't wait for the next update :)
    Just got an email from MS saying that I will be given access to a portal tomorrow so that I can schedule a flight out to Charlotte on Thursday.

The interviews start at 9AM, and go until 12PM. After that ill have lunch and fly back home.
    Oh, in addition I was given this interview guide of what I should expect, and also told to visit their services site.

Microsoft Services Home
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dont sweat the checklist. they dont expect you to run ms. Enjoy. Do well.
    Just got final notification of all my travel arrangements and my hotel etc. I was told that I will be there from 9AM until around 5PM is all goes well.

My friend who works there told me I may know that day if I will be hired... if not that day, the next day.

From now until Friday I really need to review a lot of AD concepts.
  • DclownDclown Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratz! This is really good news to hear. So, Soon we will be seeing a "You're Hired" UpDate...

Good Luck !!!

Just got final notification of all my travel arrangements and my hotel etc. I was told that I will be there from 9AM until around 5PM is all goes well.

My friend who works there told me I may know that day if I will be hired... if not that day, the next day.

From now until Friday I really need to review a lot of AD concepts.
    So another update. Due to the weather my interview was cancelled and is being rescheduled, which might take a little while since its close to the holidays.
    booooooo, keep your head up though.... even though I know nothing about you than this board, I feel like you have this in the bag
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    booooooo, keep your head up though.... even though I know nothing about you than this board, I feel like you have this in the bag

**** yeah. I feel that way too, they won't waste this much time and money for nothing!
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
    Im not too worried about it. Im actually waiting on an offer for another job from a company called FusionIO. I think I want this job more than the MS job. Same amount of money, get to work from home, bunch of stock and other benefits. MS would require me going into the city and working a lot of hours on the road. While MS is prestigious and a great company to work for, I believe I will be going with FusionIO.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im actually waiting on an offer for another job from a company called FusionIO. I think I want this job more than the MS job. Same amount of money, get to work from home, bunch of stock and other benefits.
    Sooo, some free ioDrives for your gaming PC? :D
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV