Options

Errors in Boson/Odom answers

certmistercertmister Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Are there errors in the answers for Odom's ICND1 Boson exam sim? I have been using Boson a lot more now that my exam is coming up in a few weeks and came across two problems. I thought I had nailed figuring out the valid host Ranges but I have seen some different answers here and also questions asking about the different ethernet cabling connections (e.g. switch>switch: use crossover) but now I am having doubts.

I just did a question that basically asked what type of connection do the devices in this diagram use. It says R2 to PC2 should be a crossover but I thought like devices use crossovers, (PC-PC, Router-Router, Switch-Switch, Hub-Switch). I thought a PC/Server to a Router/Switch/Hub is a straight through.

eth_conn.png

eth_conn.png%22%20BORDER=0%20%20%20%3E

Comments

• Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I'm sure there are the odd errors in the Boson software. The answer is correct in that a cross over would be used. In many cases especially with typical consumer based routers. They will sense the cable type and automatically make the required changes, so the cable will still work. For the exam you should know the proper type. These two replies from a recent related thread should be of help:
    billyr wrote: »
    The easiest way to remember which cable to use, is to use the OSI layers.

e.g

Layer 3: Router
    Layer 2: Switch
    Layer 1: P.C, Hub, Repeater etc

If the devices you are connecting share the same layer, e.g Router to Router (L3 - L3) or there is 2 layers difference, e.g P.C - Router then you use a crossover.
    If there is only 1 layer between the devices, e.g Switch - Router then its a straight though cable.

e.g P.C - Router: 2 layers = Cross over.
    Switch - Switch: Same Layer = Cross over.
    P.C - Switch: 1 layer = Straight through.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I always remember it this way:

PC/Router/Access Point = Like devices

Hub/Switch = Like devices

Because remember, it's not just about the actual devices being similar. It's all about which pins they transmit/recieve on. That's what makes devices "alike/different".
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    certmistercertmister Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OK, now I am embarrassed. I thought for ages that a PC to Router connection would be a straight through connection but no dice. Using the layers is a good way to think about it. Thanks to you both.
  • Options
    OrvarOrvar Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I´m probably overcomplicating things but with virtualization will nic´s still be considered L1 when in hyper-v that nic port will become a Virtual Switch?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Orvar wrote: »
    I´m probably overcomplicating things but with virtualization will nic´s still be considered L1 when in hyper-v that nic port will become a Virtual Switch?

The physical hardware will not change if you load Hyper-V. The NIC will still be the same NIC.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    With the Boson exams, you have the ability to update both the application, and the exam itself. I assume that this corrects errors that are spotted in the exams.
  • Options
    klawrenceklawrence Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wbosher wrote: »
    With the Boson exams, you have the ability to update both the application, and the exam itself. I assume that this corrects errors that are spotted in the exams.

Correct. Here's a little more detail.

The Boson Exam Environment (BEE) application is updated periodically. The updates are mostly based on requests and feedback from customers, as well as changes that we think will be beneficial and enhance usability. These updates do not affect exam content - only the engine.

The exam updates are entirely dependent on who wrote the exam.
    When using the BEE, you may submit feedback to the author of the practice exam. This feedback is automatically sent to the author, who is then responsible for reviewing the feedback and correcting any errors when necessary.

If Boson wrote the exam (ExSim-Max practice exams are Boson's), then our writers and editors will update the product here in Nashville. Once the update has been released, the BEE will alert you of the update the next time you launch the exam.

For exams NOT written by Boson - any study guide CD for example - those updates are dependent on the respective authors. We will automatically forward the feedback to the author, but we cannot make any changes to their content.

Thanks,

Kelson
    Boson Software
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With simulations on Boson third party Cisco Press exams I've noticed you have to type out the commands fully, alias commands don't work.

Other than that everything else is good.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA