Options

MCSA -vs- MCITP

piklando01piklando01 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys (and gals) icon_wink.gif,

I just have a quick question for you all. I guess this would probably mainly go out to those of you who actually work in the field and have been for sometime. I'm currently trying to get my MS server certs, but I can't really decide between MCSA (2003 path) and MCITP (2008 path) My main question is, from you guys's experience, are many companies migrating or have migrated to Server 2008, I mean just from your experience and maybe fellow IT pro's you all have spoken with, does there seem to be alot of upgrade towards it in the industry? I'm kinda leaninig more towards MCSA, and I know I could take it and then go for MCITP after, but I'd really like to try to land a job with one or the other soon. Sorry for the long winded post, any help you all can provide is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Hey guys (and gals) icon_wink.gif,

I just have a quick question for you all. I guess this would probably mainly go out to those of you who actually work in the field and have been for sometime. I'm currently trying to get my MS server certs, but I can't really decide between MCSA (2003 path) and MCITP (2008 path) My main question is, from you guys's experience, are many companies migrating or have migrated to Server 2008, I mean just from your experience and maybe fellow IT pro's you all have spoken with, does there seem to be alot of upgrade towards it in the industry? I'm kinda leaninig more towards MCSA, and I know I could take it and then go for MCITP after, but I'd really like to try to land a job with one or the other soon. Sorry for the long winded post, any help you all can provide is greatly appreciated!

2003 is still very much out there, things are slowly going over to 2008 and I have been fortunate enough to have worked on pure 2008 (or rather 2008R2) domains. but most places are going slow.

It seems to me that medium size companies with enterprise agreements are moving over, big comapnies are not (too much work) small companies are not (too much expense) 2003 will be arround for a while yet as will XP because they are very good products.

What are you using more? because that is what you should be doing as it will be easier, if you are not actually working with either I would go the MCITP:SA route.
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    It seems like more and more places are slowly migrating to 2008. Where I work we've pretty much moved all our servers to 2008.

It also seems like as business move more to 2008 they are going to want someone familiar with it.

I have MCITP:EA, and that is the route that I recommend to people. It just seems better to me for the future.
  • Options
    piklando01piklando01 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thx for the replies guys. The company I'm at now is on 2003, I've been at this comany about 6 years, it's a very big company, but slow to adapt new technology, maybe for cost reasons (we're still using IE6, Office 2003 and Notes ver 6 for instance.) But I guess they're sticking by the old if aint broke don't fix it mantra, lol. The thing is I'm looking to relocate and seek a new job that's why I was asking mainly. I think I'm gonna go ahead and go for MCSA/MCSE from what I read here it's still something recruiters are looking for, I will certainly conssider going the 2008 track from there. Again, thx alot.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Thx for the replies guys. The company I'm at now is on 2003, I've been at this comany about 6 years, it's a very big company, but slow to adapt new technology, maybe for cost reasons (we're still using IE6, Office 2003 and Notes ver 6 for instance.) But I guess they're sticking by the old if aint broke don't fix it mantra, lol. The thing is I'm looking to relocate and seek a new job that's why I was asking mainly. I think I'm gonna go ahead and go for MCSA/MCSE from what I read here it's still something recruiters are looking for, I will certainly conssider going the 2008 track from there. Again, thx alot.

Then consider doing the MCSA 2003 which would certainly back up the last 6 years of your career AND then upgrade to MCITP which will see you in good stead for where you want to be.

Having both would be ideal for you really.