ROUTE Lab Guide / Workbook?

mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
Hi guys,

I hit a couple of milestones the other day: I finished reading the ROUTE Foundation Guide and finished creating flash cards from all my notes.

I'm now about to embark on the hands on stage but feel some sort of workbook/lab guide/structure would be beneficial to ensure I get exposure to all the required areas.

Can anyone recommend such as document or provider? Or do people typically recreate the small topologies shown in the Cisco books?

So far the ROUTE exam is making the CCNA look like a walk in the park! The amount of information that needs to be absorbed is quite an eye opener. All good fun though :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Looks like you have a little under two weeks until the Route Lab Manual is available. I used the BSCI lab companion and it was very helpful for scenarios to help reinforce the topics.

Here is the link: Amazon.com: CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual (Lab Companion) (9781587133039): Cisco Networking Academy: Books

You are definitely right though, the step or shall I say leap from CCNA to the CCNP exams was huge. I recommend also going through the Routing TCP/IP vol. 1 and vol. 2 books by Jeff Doyle for a really clear and thorough explanation of the routing protocols. You can get them now or later, but trust me, you will get them at some point.

Lastly, don't forget to read and lab until you are sick of the material, that's when you know you are ready for the exam :D
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Thanks a lot Ryan82!

I went ahead and bought the ROUTE Manual straight from Cisco Press and I've been working through it for the last 10 days or so.

For anyone else thinking of purchasing the book and using GNS3, I can confirm that so far all labs can be done in GNS3. The only slight annoyance is the basic configs have to be manually entered before getting into the guts of the lab. However, I've been saving the basic configs at the start of each lab and plan to make these available via my website.

ROUTE is scheduled for 11:00am GMT on Friday 17th Dec!