642-902 route preparation

notun1notun1 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
Recently I am preparing for CCNP route. I just need to know how long and what study material should I take for preparing myself. I have good understanding with EIGRP , OSPF and redistribution although it has lot of concept.

I have CCNP_ROUTE_642-902_Official_Certification_Guide by Odom,CCNP ROUTE Portable Command Guide,CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Quick Reference,642-902_Foundation_Learning_Guide ,CISCO IOS IP configuration Guide,CBT Nuggets by Jeremy and Lot of GNS3 Lab scenario.

I didn't build a Lab(Only have GNS3) yet. I was thinking to build it after passing Route. Is that reasonable?

Is it possible to sit for this exam after a month if I can complete all this study materials and Labs?

Thanks,
Notun
===============
Currently working on 642-902 ROUTE

CCNP_ROUTE_642-902_Official_Certification_Guide(80%)
GNS3 LAB: (50%)
CBT_Nuggets: (80%)
Routing TCPIP, Volume I and II (0%)
642-902_Foundation_Learning_Guide (0%)

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    notun1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Recently I am preparing for CCNP route. I just need to know how long and what study material should I take for preparing myself. I have good understanding with EIGRP , OSPF and redistribution although it has lot of concept.

The study is going to depend on you... do you work with Routers daily? What do you consider a good understanding of EIGRP/OSPF? Do you mean the information that you learned while studying for the CCNA? Have you been exposed to using those protocols and fine tuning them for router optimization? Do you have (or have you had) any exposure to BGP, route-maps, route filtering, IPv6, etc...?
    I have CCNP_ROUTE_642-902_Official_Certification_Guide by Odom,CCNP ROUTE Portable Command Guide,CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Quick Reference,642-902_Foundation_Learning_Guide ,CISCO IOS IP configuration Guide,CBT Nuggets by Jeremy and Lot of GNS3 Lab scenario.

I didn't build a Lab(Only have GNS3) yet. I was thinking to build it after passing Route. Is that reasonable?
    With the list of materials you have stated, it looks as if you have what you need IMO. I think most will agree, you can pass the route with just GNS3. In fact, I'm studying for the Route currently and I'm using GNS3 because my lab is in transit.
    Is it possible to sit for this exam after a month if I can complete all this study materials and Labs?
    What's the rush? Do you have contractual obligations to pass the Route or CCNP?

Sure... anything is possible. My advice would be... (this all depends on your experience) if you pass the route in a month without prior experience and/or exposure to routing, the information you retain will be minimal. Me personally, I'd suggest you take your time to get a firm understanding of the wealth of information that'll be thrown at you in the Route exam. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • notun1notun1 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The study is going to depend on you... do you work with Routers daily? What do you consider a good understanding of EIGRP/OSPF? Do you mean the information that you learned while studying for the CCNA? Have you been exposed to using those protocols and fine tuning them for router optimization? Do you have (or have you had) any exposure to BGP, route-maps, route filtering, IPv6, etc...?

With the list of materials you have stated, it looks as if you have what you need IMO. I think most will agree, you can pass the route with just GNS3. In fact, I'm studying for the Route currently and I'm using GNS3 because my lab is in transit.

What's the rush? Do you have contractual obligations to pass the Route or CCNP?

Sure... anything is possible. My advice would be... (this all depends on your experience) if you pass the route in a month without prior experience and/or exposure to routing, the information you retain will be minimal. Me personally, I'd suggest you take your time to get a firm understanding of the wealth of information that'll be thrown at you in the Route exam. HTH.

-Peanut
    I have finished up to chapter 11 of Official_Certification_Guide by Odom and Finished watching CBT nuggets Route up to video 18 out of 28. I can feel CCNA just cover basic things.

Ok. I will make it with GNS3.

Actually I don't have a job now and I am totally free to utilize my time for CCNP . That's why I want to finish it as soon as possible.
    ===============

• Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Is this your first CCNP exam? How long ago did you finish your CCNA? How much on the job experience do you have?

If this is your first CCNP exam, let me just say that the difficulty gap from the CCNA to the CCNP exams is quite large IMO so don't underestimate it as CCNA + a little bit.

If you don't have quite a bit of work experience, I would say that 1 month may be a little unrealistic. Of course anything can happen, but its not uncommon for people to study for 6 months for this test.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get your hands on Routing TCP/IP vol 1 & 2. The coverage of routing protocols is more thorough and presented more clearly IMO than you will find in any of the CCNP text.

Make sure you lab as much as you can. The Route Lab portfolio has labs for you to practice:

Amazon.com: CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual (Lab Companion) (9781587133039): Cisco Networking Academy: Books
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    ROUTE (and the bulk of TSHOOT) can be done using GNS3 and if your unemployed at the moment its the best option. I really wouldn't place a time limit unless you have to. Read the Odom book cover to cover, watch the CBT's and then make sure you can perform the labs with out having to look through the books and you'll walk the exams.

If you can afford it buy the Routing tcp/ip vol I & II as they are amaxzing books and will help you all the way to CCIE. Once you've got the CCNP have you can decide if you want to buy a lab or not as you will need one (or rent time) for CCIE but for ROUTE it can be done GNS (SWITCH has stuff GNS cant do )
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I tried to do it in a month quite some time ago, actually that was the BSCI exam (old ROUTE). I failed, but only hardly. I still remember alot of what I learned, but aparently I didn't learn enough. Specifically BGP gave me a whoping.

So it probably is possible to do in a month, but this is not an associate level exam. These are very hard compared to them.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    chmorin wrote: »
    I tried to do it in a month quite some time ago, actually that was the BSCI exam (old ROUTE). I failed, but only hardly. I still remember alot of what I learned, but aparently I didn't learn enough. Specifically BGP gave me a whoping.

So it probably is possible to do in a month, but this is not an associate level exam. These are very hard compared to them.

Hmmm, this is interesting.

I know two people who I work with, one with the entire CCNP set under the old system, and one who just recently passed the ROUTE exam.

They both said that CCNP was a lot easier than CCNA. I guess the reason being that you have a foundation to work with after getting CCNA, whereas with CCNA you're probably starting from scratch.
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    Is this your first CCNP exam? How long ago did you finish your CCNA? How much on the job experience do you have?
    Yes. This is my first exam. I have finished CCNA 23rd of Nov. I really don't have any job experience on Cisco router or switch.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get your hands on Routing TCP/IP vol 1 & 2. The coverage of routing protocols is more thorough and presented more clearly IMO than you will find in any of the CCNP text.
    Ok. I will grab this one also.
    Make sure you lab as much as you can. The Route Lab portfolio has labs for you to practice:

Amazon.com: CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual (Lab Companion) (9781587133039): Cisco Networking Academy: Books
    I will also buy this one. I realize I need to dig it deeper.
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions and advice.
    ===============

aldous wrote: »
    ROUTE (and the bulk of TSHOOT) can be done using GNS3 and if your unemployed at the moment its the best option. I really wouldn't place a time limit unless you have to. Read the Odom book cover to cover, watch the CBT's and then make sure you can perform the labs with out having to look through the books and you'll walk the exams.

If you can afford it buy the Routing tcp/ip vol I & II as they are amaxzing books and will help you all the way to CCIE. Once you've got the CCNP have you can decide if you want to buy a lab or not as you will need one (or rent time) for CCIE but for ROUTE it can be done GNS (SWITCH has stuff GNS cant do )

Actually I was planning to take Switch exam first. Then I realize my limited budget for the Lab. so trying to get Route exam first.

So here will be my study Materials:

1. Study of Route_Official_Certification_Guide by Odom.
    2. Finish watching CBT nuggets and practice Lab with the nuggets.
    3. Study of Foundation_Learning_Guide, CISCO IOS IP configuration Guide,CCNP ROUTE Portable Command Guide,CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Quick Reference and Routing TCP/IP vol 1 & 2.
    4. Amazon.com: CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual (Lab Companion) (9781587133039): Cisco Networking Academy: Books
    5. Try to do as much Lab as I can with my own perspective study using GNS3.
    6.Search google for any specific topic interested.

I have added 14 hours a day in my Study and Lab as I can fully utilize my time.Lets see how things happen and I will update my study progress for yours suggestions and advice.

Thanks to all for your time...
    ===============

• cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    Goodluck I'm on the same route as you. I have the 3 CCNP books, cbt nuggets vid, and GNS3. Im half way done. I probably need another month or two.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Since you don't have a lot of experience on Cisco devices and you just finished your CCNA, I would definitely recommend taking your time on this exam. The ROUTE and the SWITCH exam will provide the skills necessary to function as a network guy on the job so fast tracking them will only be hurting yourself when you do land that first networking job down the road.

I know 14 hours a day of studying seems realistic right now, but you probably stand a real good chance of burning yourself out so try to pace it a bit. Trust me, this is coming from a guy who reads Cisco books like big girls read romance novels. icon_lol.gif

Good luck in your endeavors
    wbosher wrote: »
    Hmmm, this is interesting.

I know two people who I work with, one with the entire CCNP set under the old system, and one who just recently passed the ROUTE exam.

They both said that CCNP was a lot easier than CCNA. I guess the reason being that you have a foundation to work with after getting CCNA, whereas with CCNA you're probably starting from scratch.

Here is the thing:

It depends on your learning style if the exams will be easier than the associate exams or not. Even if it is, you still have to pass three of them. Trust me, Cisco did not design the exams to go in reverse order of difficulty. Things don't get easier as you go up, ask those training for the CCIE right now.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Agreed. Probably what I should have said is that the requirements per exam are more focused, so it may be easier take in the information for each exam. Whereas CCNA was so broad, once you finish with one subject (ACLs for example), and then move on to routing protocols, you may forget some things about the ACLs.

I wasn't for one minute suggesting that CCNP will be easier than CCNA, just that it may be easier to focus on each exam due to to the more focused approach of the material.

Hope that makes more sense.
    wbosher wrote: »
    Agreed. Probably what I should have said is that the requirements per exam are more focused, so it may be easier take in the information for each exam. Whereas CCNA was so broad, once you finish with one subject (ACLs for example), and then move on to routing protocols, you may forget some things about the ACLs.

I wasn't for one minute suggesting that CCNP will be easier than CCNA, just that it may be easier to focus on each exam due to to the more focused approach of the material.

Hope that makes more sense.

Yup. CCNA= Mile wide and an inch deep. CCNP = 1/4 mile wide, 1/2 mile deep.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    IMO i think a month is possible but its pushing it. I think 4 to 6 months is the ball park. I think Im going to be ready on the 4th month. Im studying 12-5hrs each day on the weekends and 3-5hrs each day on the weekdays.

the ROUTE finally gives light to CCNA and its very interesting.

IMO its interesting compare to CWNA.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How much hands on routing configuration/troubleshooting have you done as part of your job(s)?

How much experience do you have with all the ROUTE exam topics in your work history?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    How much hands on routing configuration/troubleshooting have you done as part of your job(s)?

How much experience do you have with all the ROUTE exam topics in your work history?

I don't have any job experience on Router/switch.
    I started from zero knowledge and Got CCNA within 2 months(first time failed but passed with 974).

I also found Route very interesting and now reading EIGRP/OSPF,redistribution. I found its not so difficult as I have good foundation now.As much as I am digging, its make me more comfortable as Route topics are very deep. I am utilizing my time properly as I am unemployed now. lets see how much I can learn within a month.

I am also curious to finish it ASAP , I may not able to get enough time when starting a job.:)
    ===============

I don't have any job experience on Router/switch.
    Then your time may be better spent looking for a job where you can use your CCNA to gain experience, rather than tacking a CCNP onto your resume.

I'm not sure what the job market is like in your neck of the woods, but there isn't currently much demand (and hardly ever is) for CCNPs without any Cisco work experience. The only two exceptions are if you earned the CCNP while also doing a degree at a good university and are a new university graduate -- or if you go to work for a sleezy consulting firm that want to throw you out at a customer site to rack up billable hours making and then trying to fix your mistakes.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Then your time may be better spent looking for a job where you can use your CCNA to gain experience, rather than tacking a CCNP onto your resume.

I'm not sure what the job market is like in your neck of the woods, but there isn't currently much demand (and hardly ever is) for CCNPs without any Cisco work experience. The only two exceptions are if you earned the CCNP while also doing a degree at a good university and are a new university graduate -- or if you go to work for a sleezy consulting firm that want to throw you out at a customer site to rack up billable hours making and then trying to fix your mistakes.

Hmnn..I realize it. I had a wrong understanding then...But I am already in my way to Route. so I want to take it anyway...I am also looking for job at the same time with my CCNA.Thanks a lot for your great suggestion..
    ===============

But I am already in my way to Route.
    Unless you already have lots of industry experience, the CCNP could/should take a while to earn. But starting work on it while trying to find that first "CCNA Job" does help keep your Cisco knowledge and skill sharp for Job Interviews -- and may give you an advantage over other noob CCNAs.